Daily chit chat...

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I am pretty new to this group so I don't really know what works best for everyone here but even though it's great to have the daily walk threads to keep track of goals and steps. I also thought it might be nice to have a consistent thread just for the everyday stuff and to help get to know people here. Is anyone into that?

Replies

• 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Today is my rest day. Eating at auntys, always has healthy food
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I used to take Sundays as my rest day and then some how over time, every day became a rest day and now I am struggling to get back into a groove. I like the idea of monthly threads to keep track of miles/steps but I also like the idea of having a spot to come to, to get to know other people and hear about what they're doing that works.... and doesn't work...
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Hello! Yes, I like that idea as well! I do one or another of her videos about 5 times a week; they make me feel great and healthy as I continue this journey, which is never easy for me.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Awesome! I'm still struggling a bit with getting back to a consistent schedule but I want it and I think some accountability will help. Are you doing this for weight loss?
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I retired last month so I am still organizing my day. When I worked I had total control over everything I ate because I took my food to work with me, all weighed and measured..... now - it is all here in bulk!!

Some positives
    - I have averaged 8000 plus steps a day since I retired which is way better than it was when I worked!!
    - my dog is sooooo happy, I finally got my walking trail mowed and we have walked 2 days - 2 miles each morning!!

Now just to control the food.... I definitely will be shopping different.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Yep i am having a food issue myself thus a scale issue too. Live and learn just got to live and learn. ;)
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Lilymay2 wrote: »
    I retired last month so I am still organizing my day. When I worked I had total control over everything I ate because I took my food to work with me, all weighed and measured..... now - it is all here in bulk!!

Some positives
    - I have averaged 8000 plus steps a day since I retired which is way better than it was when I worked!!
    - my dog is sooooo happy, I finally got my walking trail mowed and we have walked 2 days - 2 miles each morning!!

Congrats on the retirement! I'm counting down the days to my own retirement. I am SO ready for it! ... Only 15 years, 9 months and 16 days to go!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Yep i am having a food issue myself thus a scale issue too. Live and learn just got to live and learn. ;)

What is your food issue?
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    I am hoping once I get over the "giddiness" of being home my eating will get under control. When I worked my lunch was mainly raw vegetables and protein left over from supper the night before. So i just have to get back to that. DH also ate a light lunch at home. So no making a "meal" for lunch. I have to remember I had 39 years of eating away from home for lunch. I am very aware I need to watch what I eat. The snack I enjoy in the evening is now available to me anytime .....
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Oh my food issue was my husband brought home every chocolate item he could think of cupcakes, candy everything. Then my daughter had an issue and out came the stress and I binged. I have to say it was my first binge in a year and it wasn't worth it. If I had done one day so be it but to do a week of it was just too much. Oh well I have learned a very hard lesson.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I am hoping once I get over the "giddiness" of being home my eating will get under control. When I worked my lunch was mainly raw vegetables and protein left over from supper the night before. So i just have to get back to that. DH also ate a light lunch at home. So no making a "meal" for lunch. I have to remember I had 39 years of eating away from home for lunch. I am very aware I need to watch what I eat. The snack I enjoy in the evening is now available to me anytime .....

I can see that. I work full time but have freedom to work from home sometimes... My eating is definitely different on those days.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Oh my food issue was my husband brought home every chocolate item he could think of cupcakes, candy everything. Then my daughter had an issue and out came the stress and I binged. I have to say it was my first binge in a year and it wasn't worth it. If I had done one day so be it but to do a week of it was just too much. Oh well I have learned a very hard lesson.

I have had many times over the years where I let what could have just been a minor lapse turn into a full-blown collapse. I'm still trying to find that balance between allowing myself to have a treat from time to time, and letting it cause me to fall off the wagon head first into a pile of chocolate.
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Some positives

Congrats on the retirement! I'm counting down the days to my own retirement. I am SO ready for it! ... Only 15 years, 9 months and 16 days to go!

Time flys ... it will go by fast and the day will be on your doorstep in no time!! :)
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

I have had many times over the years where I let what could have just been a minor lapse turn into a full-blown collapse. I'm still trying to find that balance between allowing myself to have a treat from time to time, and letting it cause me to fall off the wagon head first into a pile of chocolate.

I do not have everything I want to eat, but I do allow myself something not so healthy once in a while. I will not be OREOs because I do not want to eat 2 oreos and stop. Although I did it once when I wanted to try the Red Velvet. Turns out they were not as good as I expected so I gave them away. I do have a small piece of chocolate every day, sometimes two.
  • bgoddess2003
    bgoddess2003 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Lily may congratulations on your retirement I hope to be able to achieve that one day. Sooner than later, lol glad to hear the dog is happy as well.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I do not have everything I want to eat, but I do allow myself something not so healthy once in a while. I will not be OREOs because I do not want to eat 2 oreos and stop. Although I did it once when I wanted to try the Red Velvet. Turns out they were not as good as I expected so I gave them away. I do have a small piece of chocolate every day, sometimes two.

I'm not sure what happens but I didn't get any notifications of any responses until today. I haven't been doing much over the summer but plan to get back to it on a regular starting next week.
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Lily may congratulations on your retirement I hope to be able to achieve that one day. Sooner than later, lol glad to hear the dog is happy as well.

Thank you, so far it has been a very busy summer!! I have even lots a few pounds and toned a bit. All the yard work and work at my mom's house has sure helped....
  • GalatiansTwoTwenty
    Options

My husband and I used to go to the grocery store and I would push the cart. He would collect items he wanted - candy, chips (what I should not have). He would say, 'Do you like this?' If I said, "Yes, I love that." He would put it back on the shelf. If I said, "Oh, I won't eat that!" He would put it in the cart. People looked at him as though he was mean, and at me as though they felt sorry for me. He was actually helping me to eat healthier! And I appreciated it very much.

He forgot about asking me that after a while. Then he bought all all all all that he wanted and put it in a hidden stash. I eventually found all of his hidden cookies and candies and cakes.

Now I am the only one that buys the groceries and I have only myself to monitor. It is still a 'live and learn' process, though.