Newly diagnosed DM2

Options
jessihaynes
jessihaynes Posts: 5 Member
Hi there! I don't normally comment on online forums, but I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I have no idea where to start with my weight loss journey. Anybody have any tips?

Replies

• Michelelee315
    Michelelee315 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel ya I too was just diagnosed as well ant put on Metformin. I too would love to know where to go from here and how.
  • Travelerraven
    Travelerraven Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been living with Type II Diabetes for over 18 years. The cause of my T2D was stress due to the constant high levels of cortisol, the stress hormone.
    With diet exercise and proper medication I have had no major problems and can keep my blood sugar at between 5 and 8.5 mmol/L depending on meals and my day.

I would give any newly diagnosed T2D the same advice I received.

Exercise like it is a religion. [Raising your heart rate engages your GLUT4 Glucose Transporters GLUT4 is part of a family of glucose transporter proteins that delivery glucose directly into the cell without insulin]. Read up on this.

Caffeine is no longer your friend. [It now interferes with blood sugar absorption].

Metformin will assist in weight loss.

Gliclazide sold under various brand names can and in me leads to weight gain.

Sugar free drinks leave them the artificial sweeteners will affect and spike your blood sugar and insulin levels.

The diet and meds that work for one Type II Diabetic may not be your answer.

Read up on diabetes make smart changes to your life style, understand these changes and their effect on you, and look at how you will incorporate these changes into your life style.
    With your doctor determine what currently the best course of action for you is, as this will change.

I hope this info helps you as much as it did me.
  • dareld1218
    dareld1218 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am Dareld. I have been a type 2 diabetic since 1999. I weight 296 pounds then and now at 230. I would suggest to start being active if your not already. I dont mean you have to run a marathon or bench more than anyone in the gym to start. Once you get into it you can ramp it up where ever you want. It is possible to injure yourself if you go from nothing to high gear right off the back. Your body will let you know if you are going to fast.

Also, start to eliminate all processed foods from your diet. Do not cut it out cold turkey because you most likely will fail at it, cut little by little. As you cut out stuff like soda, chips, breads, low quality lunch meat you will start to see a difference. As far as getting active start off by walking and then add in some HIIT and start some weight training. Start off with light weights till you get form down and then start to add weight.

I eat Keto life style and occasionally come off but go back on. While eating Keto I have not lost a ton of weight but I have been able to keep my a1c between 6.0 and 5.8. Some of the diet drinks or artificial sweeteners may cause you problems. The way I checked it was took my blood sugar before I drank the drink, 30 minutes after drinking I checked it again. If your number is not the same than its not a good drink. You have to have a good meter for this, one that is calibrated good. I would say if your number moves maybe 3 points you may be ok, meters are not 100% accurate.

Main things is dont give up. Your weight will bounce, your workouts will fluctuate, you may have a bad day and eat something you shouldn't. This is ok, your human, just dont give up and get back on track, it will get easier as you go. Hope this helps a little.