T3 Medication Side Effects? Am I the only one?

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So, to give a little background, my PCP diagnosed me as hypothyroid some years back. We tried Armour, it did squat for me, because we didn't titrate up to therapeutic dosage levels. Went to an endocrinologist who basically told me until I lost weight, I was so fat that thyroid meds wouldn't help me. Dropped him like a hot potato, but stopped the meds.

Fast forward a few years, end up on generic of Synthroid (a T4 only med) after my PCP gets concerned about my levels nearly doubling in less than a year. Start to feel some relief. Add in Iodoral (iodine/iodide combo), get assigned endocrinologist, and start treatment for PCOS, discover I'm insulin resistant, etc.

After that time, about every 6 months, my endo was increasing my T4 medication. We do some more testing, and decide to add a T3 medication (started about 4 weeks ago). Well, I've been fighting way harder against the sugar demon who lives in my head lately, and losing more than winning, but not really gaining more than 2-3 pounds total. After a "MUST EAT SOMETHING SWEET NOW" reaction - more mental than actually physical, but that overwhelming thought process that I've gotten rid of in the 18+ months I've been low carb, and to be honest, it freaked me out.

So, I look up side effects of the medication. No indications for sugar issues. Might affect BCP though - yeah that was a fun read. That being said, it does say something about if you are diabetic and on meds or not, it might become difficult to control your blood sugars - but no reason given unto why. Called pharmacy to ask about side effects. Pharmacist indicated that it's likely just from the changes it gives to your metabolism, but monitor blood sugar (have had lows previous as medication side effect, this feeling definitely was NOT that) and talk with my doctor if continued issue. I've had my insulin levels go wonky before triggering weirdness in this general subject area, but never like this. I do have somewhat of a sharpish energy drop right at the 3-4 hour mark after taking this medication both times I take it daily.

So long story short - has anyone added a T3 medication and had sugar cravings, blood sugar issues, insulin issues, hard crashes after? I know that I can look into a compounded sustained release form, but the cost and procurement will be a problem. My pharmacist recommended that I monitor my blood sugars, cut any carb creep I had back down further, and go back to my doctor if this continues. I'm currently feeling way too *special* with this side effect, and I'd love to hear from anyone who's had this side effect or others.

Thanks in advance, all...

Replies

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Hey Carly, not sure about the T3 meds side effects, but wanted to send big hugs your way to help fight the carb/sugar demon.

Luv ya!!