Recipes

Options
Fit4LifeAR
Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
If you have any healthy (or unhealthy :smile: ) recipes that you would love to share, let us know! I would love to add some to my rotation!

Replies

• Fit4LifeAR
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Chicken Stir Fry (My all time favorite "diet" recipe")

So this recipe is not perfectly healthy, but we eat it a lot, especially during the school year. I will make a big batch on Sunday, and it is usually enough for Rob and I to eat lunch on Monday and Tuesday.

Ingredients:

2 pounds chicken (Use however much you want, we add a lot for protein)
    2 bags of frozen vegetable mix (choose the mix you prefer. Bags are small here so we use 2)
    4 tbsp Panda Express orange chicken sauce (70 calories/2 tablespoons)
    Olive Oil
    Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
    Garlic powder
    Black Pepper
    Paprika

Step 1:
    Cut your chicken into small pieces and add garlic powder, black pepper and paprika (you choose the amount, it is whatever you like!)

Step 2:
    Pour 1-2 tbsp olive oil in a pan and sautee chicken until it is cooked through.

Step 3:
    Cook the vegetables while the chicken is cooking. (We get the kind you can throw in the microwave, I am lazy haha!)

Step 4:
    Pour 4 tbsp of the orange chicken sauce into the cooked chicken and stir to make sure all of the chicken is covered. You will have some left in the pan.

Step 5:
    Place the cooked vegetables in the same pan and stir. This will coat the vegetables with the remaining sauce.

Calories: 226 per serving (average)

We usually eat it alone but I love cauliflower rice with it too!
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    Cauliflower Rice

**For this recipe, you will really play with the spices until you find what works best for you. We have made some really good batches and have made a few that are not edible lol. For example, we tried paprika in our "rice" one time and had to throw it out. We did not enjoy that one at all, haha.**

Ingredients:

1 head of cauliflower
    Olive Oil
    Garlic Powder (You decide how much but we use a good amount)
    Pepper
    Onion
    Additional spices according to your tastes.

Step 1:
    Cut the cauliflower into small pieces. (They don't have to be tiny).

Step 2:
    Add pieces to a food processor and grind to a size similar to rice.

Step 3:
    Chop onions into small pieces (I use the food processor too)

Step 4:
    Combine onion, garlic powder, any additional spices and chopped cauliflower, and mix well.

Step 5:
    Add 1 tbsp olive oil and heat pan on medium heat.

Step 6:
    Add cauliflower, onion and spice mix. Sautee for about 10 minutes, stirring often. (Sautee as long as you like. The texture will change according to how long you sautee. I recommend tasting it every few minutes until you are happy with the outcome so that you can add more spices as needed too.)

Step 7:
    Serve immediately. If you make a large batch (I highly recommend), this is a great recipe to freeze.

We will usually use 2 heads of cauliflower and eat the "rice" for dinner, while still managing to freeze enough for two more meals. We both really love this recipe, so I won't lie, sometimes we have such big portions that it only lasts one extra meal lol.

Calories: 50 per serving (large portion)
  • ashleyshimmin
    ashleyshimmin Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    l93b5y9lsci1.jpg
    I made this for dinner tonight!! 152 calories per serving (half of the squash)! A serving fills me up.

Ingredients: (Makes enough for 4 servings)
    2 Spaghetti Squash
    2 yellow onion
    2 cans of crushed tomatoes
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 bag of Morningstar Crumbles (we are vegetarian, but you can substitute this for 1 lb. of ground beef)
    2 cups mozzarella cheese
    Basil, oregano, parsley (we have fresh herbs from our garden, but you could use Italian seasoning to taste)
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Cut squash in half and scrape seeds. rub olive oil around the inside and along the edges of the squash halves. Season with salt and pepper, and place pulp side down on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dice onions and crush garlic. In a large skillet or sauce pan, sweat onions on medium heat until they are soft. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and crumbles, mix, and let it simmer until the squash is ready. (if using beef, brown that before adding onions) Season to taste with herbs, salt, and pepper.

Take out squash and flip over. Use a fork to loosen the pulp. Spoon a quarter of the sauce onto each squash and cover with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parsley and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.

Take it out and enjoy!
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mason Jar Greek Salad

In a wide-mouth quart Mason jar, layer the following:

1. Basalmic vinaigrette (I prefer Newman's Own Light, but use whatever dressing you prefer)
    2. Quartered artichoke hearts (packed in water and drained - they will marinate in the dressing)
    3. Grape tomatoes
    4. Chopped red onion
    5. Sliced cucumber (I do the English cucumbers for this recipe)
    6. Crumbled feta cheese (I like the basil and tomato flavored)
    7. Shredded carrot
    8. Spring mix lettuce (I really pack this in to help remove as much air as possible from the jar)

I usually prepare 6 jars on Sunday so I can bring one to work each day for lunch and eat one for dinner. The only ingredient that I personally find iffy by Friday is the cucumber, so I leave that ingredient out of one jar and save that for Friday. If I use mushrooms, I do the same. About 30 minutes before lunch, I turn the jar upside down to get the dressing flowing through the other ingredients. I bring a big round container into which I dump the salad so I can toss it thoroughly. You can easily add in extra protein like chicken or garbanzo beans if you prefer or modify the veggies to suit your taste. The calorie count depends on the specific quantities and ingredients you use. The one I saved to my recipes is 253 calories.
  • Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    l93b5y9lsci1.jpg
    I made this for dinner tonight!! 152 calories per serving (half of the squash)! A serving fills me up.

Ingredients: (Makes enough for 4 servings)
    2 Spaghetti Squash
    2 yellow onion
    2 cans of crushed tomatoes
    6 cloves of garlic
    1 bag of Morningstar Crumbles (we are vegetarian, but you can substitute this for 1 lb. of ground beef)
    2 cups mozzarella cheese
    Basil, oregano, parsley (we have fresh herbs from our garden, but you could use Italian seasoning to taste)
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper

Cut squash in half and scrape seeds. rub olive oil around the inside and along the edges of the squash halves. Season with salt and pepper, and place pulp side down on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dice onions and crush garlic. In a large skillet or sauce pan, sweat onions on medium heat until they are soft. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Add the tomatoes and crumbles, mix, and let it simmer until the squash is ready. (if using beef, brown that before adding onions) Season to taste with herbs, salt, and pepper.

Take out squash and flip over. Use a fork to loosen the pulp. Spoon a quarter of the sauce onto each squash and cover with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parsley and place back in the oven for 5 minutes.

Take it out and enjoy!

Ohhhhh, we are trying this for sure!

• Fit4LifeAR
    Options
    ziggy2006 wrote: »
    Mason Jar Greek Salad

In a wide-mouth quart Mason jar, layer the following:

1. Basalmic vinaigrette (I prefer Newman's Own Light, but use whatever dressing you prefer)
    2. Quartered artichoke hearts (packed in water and drained - they will marinate in the dressing)
    3. Grape tomatoes
    4. Chopped red onion
    5. Sliced cucumber (I do the English cucumbers for this recipe)
    6. Crumbled feta cheese (I like the basil and tomato flavored)
    7. Shredded carrot
    8. Spring mix lettuce (I really pack this in to help remove as much air as possible from the jar)

I usually prepare 6 jars on Sunday so I can bring one to work each day for lunch and eat one for dinner. The only ingredient that I personally find iffy by Friday is the cucumber, so I leave that ingredient out of one jar and save that for Friday. If I use mushrooms, I do the same. About 30 minutes before lunch, I turn the jar upside down to get the dressing flowing through the other ingredients. I bring a big round container into which I dump the salad so I can toss it thoroughly. You can easily add in extra protein like chicken or garbanzo beans if you prefer or modify the veggies to suit your taste. The calorie count depends on the specific quantities and ingredients you use. The one I saved to my recipes is 253 calories.

This sounds supper yummy too. I work from home 5 days a week and my boyfriend works from home 3 days a week. These would be great! I cook a lot during the day but these would be amazing.