Sleeved 1 month

Options
sassiebritches
sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
Just introducing myself. Been on MFP since 2008, tried every diet there is, every med there is, and decided on the sleeve. Had surgery 6/13 and down 30lbs!!!! Love my sleeve!!!! Hi all

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! Congrats on your surgery and weight loss! Amazing what a little surgery can do! :)

I joined back in November, had the hardest time losing weight after my daughter was born. Been doing WW since I was 12 (literally) and still go to my meetings for weekly accountability but wasn't losing. Doc and I decided to take "drastic measures" and pursued gastric bypass with a pre-surgical medically supervised diet. Lost 54.9 lbs since November 20th, with approximately 18 of them post surgery. Slow and steady..I will take it!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @sassiebritches Welcome to the group! I'm just shy of nine months post-VSG. There's lots of great information in the threads. (I tend to babble, and we get off topic easily, so read them for gems in weird spots, lol)

If you have questions, no matter how weird, ask! We've all been there!

How are you feeling at this point?
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Just adding that @NicoleL874 is a wealth of information and super helpful! :)
  • lavazula
    lavazula Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi all! new member here but MFP for years. I'm pursuing gastric sleeve surgery and feeling nervous and excited. have struggle with being overweight and yo yo dieting most of my teen-adult life. I'm so tired of gaining it all back. emotional eating issues doesn't help either. I know the surgery is a "tool" and I still need to work on that emotional part. I'm nervous mainly about the absorption issues. lack of nutrients, hair loss, and not being able to get enough protein intake. how have your results been?
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @lavazula First, deep breath! It is a nerve destroying yet exciting process. You'll get through it!

Second, work on getting the emotional eating under control. Therapy has worked wonders for me. I was a binger, based around emotions. I have in mostly in check. Now, if I overeat, it's something healthy, something that fits into what I should be eating, and a few extra 100 calories, not 1000s.

Third, Vertical Sleeve has no malabsorption issues. RNY and duodenal switch do because of the rerouting or removal of intestines. We absorb nutrients in our intestines, not our stomach.

Fourth, hair loss. *sigh* This is a tough one. For some it's a huge issue, for others it's a non-issue. I would suggest a high dose of biotin regularly asap. Get it in your body. BUT...what a lot of people don't understand is the life/death cycle of our hair and what trauma can do. For some people, anesthesia will turn your body upside down. The shock will force a majority of your hair follicles into the dormant phase. That will cause hair loss between 4 - 6 months post-op. If this happens NOTHING will stop it, it has to resolve itself and takes a few months. Personally, I lost a little. I chopped my hair into a pixie (in my profile pic) and love it. It was only noticeable to me and the guy who dyes my hair (not even the stylist noticed...but my colorist has been a best friend for decades) My hair has grown in with a much nicer texture than I've ever had. We are convinced that's diet related.

Fifth, ME. I'm 10 months out. My surgery date was 10/15/15. I started tracking my food on 8/25/15, so almost one year from my "start" date. I've lost 151.8lbs as of this morning. It's been a crazy emotional roller coaster, but I wouldn't do a damn thing different, except I wish I had done it earlier!
  • lavazula
    lavazula Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @NicoleL874 I'm just now reading your message. haven't been on. life is crazy lately. thank you so much for writing out all that you did to encourage me!! the hair loss freaks me out a bit. but I'm sure the payoff is worth it! I have loads of hair as it is probably wont even notice it. I did keto/lchf last year and I started losing hair which often happens. but it wasn't significant. thanks for the biotin tip. how much is too much to take?

I'm seeking psychiatric therapy as well as setting up psychologist appt soon via my insurance to work on getting to the root of my emotional overeating issues! I'm also reading a ton on how to adjust to VSG lifestyle. it seems learning to sip water instead of guzzling it and learning to chew more and take small bites is the hardest thing for people. I'm a super fast eater and I guzzle water and it's tough to change that!!

thanks again for your support and encouragement! means a lot. any other advice you can offer is so welcomed!!

xo Laurie