Cardio or Strengthening?

Options
Fit4LifeAR
Fit4LifeAR Posts: 233 Member
Just curious, what do ya'll prefer? I LOVE to jog, that has been my thing for years. The past year I haven't been able to do that, and the elliptical bores me to death, so I have focused on strengthening. I am hooked! I love it!

I really want to focus on weight loss and toning, so when I can work out again, I am going to do higher reps and low/medium weight. I love to jog but lifting changes your body so fast. The number on the scale doesn't go down as fast, but the inches sure do.

As for cardio, I believe in a small amount of cardio on a daily basis, and some days I do more. I will start walking and eventually transition to the stair master when my knee is ready. It's the only thing that makes me break a sweat like jogging does haha.

Replies

• ashleyshimmin
    ashleyshimmin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like both, but cardio is more my thing. Running, yoga, kickboxing, etc.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardio girl - running is my stress release. With the hip pain I've been experiencing lately, I tried something new for me, the elliptical. The first time I used it, I managed to pull my hamstring. After that healed up and I figured out what I was doing wrong, I used it a couple of times. I just don't like it - it is a very unsatisfying form of cardio for me. Not as bad as a stationary bike, though.

I also started resistance training in May. I'm using machines at the gym for lower body. I tried the machines for my upper body, but just don't like them because I couldn't feel the work in the correct muscles. So I am using alternate dumbbell exercises at home, and that works better for me.

TL;DR: Weights are okay, but cardio is more fun.
  • MommaRaven
    MommaRaven Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weights are my thing, as my endurance is pretty much nonexistent. I've always had weak knees (I had knee surgery at 13 for an injury) so running had always been hard for me.

I actually enjoy programs that have lifting and hardcore cardio. I also really like just intense cardio, like Insanity. I've just not good at them. Haha.
  • velostervixen
    velostervixen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a tolerance for running. Three years ago, I did a full marathon in a decent time. After that, I just lost my taste for it. I just get so bored, and at this time of year, it's so hot where I live!

I'm afraid to do much with strength training because I have rheumatoid arthritis that primarily affects my shoulders, elbows, wrists, and hands. And, I'll be honest, I am intimidated by it. I know how to run safely and know what to expect with it.

My other problem is time. I got to school at 7:15 this morning and left at 6:00 this evening. I am one of the sponsors/coaches of the danceline and majorettes, so until football season ends, it is so hard to find time.