Cloth diapers

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
Cloth diapers...anyone use them? Are they inconvenient? Is it really messy? Why not just use regular disposable diapers?

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    We used cloth diapers and wipes for my first from birth to potty and will be doing so this time.

They weren't inconvenient, just a little bulkier in the diaper bag. Washing wasn't a big deal. Disposables are just way too expensive imo, even if you can afford them there are better things to spend money on, like nicer food, vacations, new workout gear, etc.

As for messy I actually found disposables messier the couple times I had to use them - may be just me but they always leaked, and I never had leaks with my cloth. Until we started introducing solids the diapers and wipes went straight into the washing machine - afterwards I emptied them into the toilet first (which technically I've been told you're supposed to do with disposables anyway? But I got funny looks when I did that on vacation when we used disposables...haha). The last time we went on vacation while my daughter was still in diapers I gave up trying to not have to lug my diapers and just went with them, it was so much easier. No messes, even if it took more trunk space.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used them 28 years ago, and they were not an inconvenience for me at the time, haha.

Seriously, though, I think I will be giving cloth a try. I think I'm required to. One of my close friends runs a diaper service business.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering cloth diapers. As a fairly "green" person the waste of disposable diapers and wipes seems ridiculous to me. I just need to research it more and get the ball rolling. None of my friends have used cloth, though I'm fairly sure that's what my parents used on my brothers and I.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I did not do cloth the first time and regret it, especially when I think of the money we could have saved. The environment is another HUGE consideration. I started thinking of using cloth after watching my neighbors son. After changing him a few times and talking with her I realized just how easy and not messy they are. I just got my cloth diapers in and since I will be washing those anyway, I plan on using reusable wipes when I am at home, too.

Another plus is that they are darn cute. The patterns are adorable and in the Florida summer next year I can just leave him in a diaper and he will be cute as can be!
  • freckledLeanne
    freckledLeanne Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Another plus is that they are darn cute. The patterns are adorable and in the Florida summer next year I can just leave him in a diaper and he will be cute as can be!

Cloth diaper baby bum is the cutest thing ever.

I'm using cloth as well. We have some disposables; we picked up a box of newborn ones just in case our baby is less than the 8lb weight to fix nicely into our cloth ones. We also might consider disposables the odd time when we're on vacation or road trips and they're just easier. As much as I care about the environment, the reality is that cloth is also just so much cheaper. I've talked with several friends who use them and they've also commented that they're better at preventing leaks/containing blowouts.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    We use cloth diapers (pocket style). They are plenty convenient. I have even left my son with relatives and forgotten to tell them we use cloth - they figured it out quite easily :) And they are so cute. I have a bunch of Star Trek and transformers diapers, so my husband thinks they are cute, too :P

Diaper sprayers don't seem to work on our toilet so we dunk, and that can be a little gross, but you have to deal with poop no matter what kind of diaper you choose. Before he started solids, we just threw everything in the washer as is, though.

We had less money with my first and used disposables, but now I can't even imagine how I would fit it into our budget - they seem so expensive to have to buy on a weekly/monthly basis.
  • dandelyon
    Options
    I'm using cloth as well. We have some disposables; we picked up a box of newborn ones just in case our baby is less than the 8lb weight to fix nicely into our cloth ones. We also might consider disposables the odd time when we're on vacation or road trips and they're just easier. As much as I care about the environment, the reality is that cloth is also just so much cheaper. I've talked with several friends who use them and they've also commented that they're better at preventing leaks/containing blowouts.

I would suggest using a PUL diaper cover over your disposable if you do use them on vacation etc. as you'll be able to have the convenience (of tossing the diaper) and contain any possible blowouts that way.
  • igottaworkout
    igottaworkout Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you use cloth diapers do you make them yourself or is there a brand that is good? Do you buy disposable liners for them or not?
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Brand really depends and varies on what kind of diaper you want to use - some people do use disposable liners but I didn't, in my mind they were just an added expense.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm naive and I'm sure there are sites out there but how do they not leak? Is there a plastic liner between? Do you use safety pins? Have you ever accidently poked the baby?

Putting them in the toilet, this is going to sound gross, can you use a gloved hand to push the poopy into the toilet? I can imagine it would be easier to potty train.

Do they get kind of stinky because there's no perfume and soaking pad thing in them?
  • heathermora11
    heathermora11 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Love my cloth diapers! No pins :) I use a pocket style diaper calle Bum Genius. Highly reccomend! Used them from age 2months-20 months (when she potty trained) with my first and will start day 1 with baby #2. No blowouts! So much cheaper! Environment! Adorable :) so many reasons why I love them. Www.cottonbabies.com has the best prices I have found :)
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    We used cloth on our first and will reuse them again with this baby. I think I worked out we saved over £2000 on diapers over our daughter's 2 years and 4 months of wearing them. They are really easy. I use one called a Bumble and they are held closed by a stretchy thing that grips onto the terry cloth called a Nappy Nippa. Over the terry diaper goes a waterproof cover that stops it from leaking. I put a flushable liner that comes on a roll in mine once she was weaned on solids and if the nappy was a dirty one the liner went in the toilet. The liners I got were really cheap and if it wasn't a dirty nappy I just washed the liner and reused it. I wasn't hugely keen on the idea but agreed to it as long as my husband did the washing. He only had to do a load every few days, we don't have a dryer and it still worked out well for us. I don't regret our decision to use them. I just got plain white ones and when we were done using them they got a bleach and hung out in the sun and they look as good as they did the day we bought them. :)
  • Mom2ATM
    Mom2ATM Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    We CD'd our youngest daughter but only for a bit she broke out in horrible rashes from im not sure what, we had a front loader and im certain it wasn't rinsing them properly, little does my hubby know I have some on the way right now for our 9 week old son because we're running out of sposies we got as gifts and I don't want to buy more!! plus theyre super cute pockets!!!

I have a question though for anyone who uses pockets, what kind of insert is better to use fabric wise?
  • dandelyon
    Options
    I guess I'm naive and I'm sure there are sites out there but how do they not leak? Is there a plastic liner between? Do you use safety pins? Have you ever accidently poked the baby?

Putting them in the toilet, this is going to sound gross, can you use a gloved hand to push the poopy into the toilet? I can imagine it would be easier to potty train.

Do they get kind of stinky because there's no perfume and soaking pad thing in them?

The outside layer is made of a waterproof fabric, or occasionally it is an inner layer. When you put the poop in the toilet, you really Just shake it out really carefully. Or you can use a tool like a sprayer or spatula to plop it off. I'm sure you could just use a gloved hand... Everyone finds different solutions that they like.

Occasionally diapers will get stinky but usually a little vinegar in the wash will take care of it. If you mean stinky while being worn, like if a dirty cloth diaper smells worse than a dirty disposable, well, I'm biased but I think sposies have a far worse smell. Cloth doesn't smell really at all when there's pee.
  • dandelyon
    Options
    We CD'd our youngest daughter but only for a bit she broke out in horrible rashes from im not sure what, we had a front loader and im certain it wasn't rinsing them properly, little does my hubby know I have some on the way right now for our 9 week old son because we're running out of sposies we got as gifts and I don't want to buy more!! plus theyre super cute pockets!!!

I have a question though for anyone who uses pockets, what kind of insert is better to use fabric wise?

Microfiber is synthetic but I feel like it dries super fast.
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I will be using cloth and am weirdly excited about it! For anyone with questions I highly recommend this page. All kinds of info and diaper reviewst:

http://dirtydiaperlaundry.com/cloth-diaper-information/

Also I know Babycenter can be a horrible place, but the cloth diapering group there has been invaluable to me: http://community.babycenter.com/groups/a16235/cloth_diapering

This thread is a great one to read through: http://community.babycenter.com/post/a31633313/new_cloth_diaper_faq_welcome

I think the monetary savings, and environmental benefit just can't be beat. You can cloth diaper from birth to potty training for as little as $80 bucks if you use tshirt flats and a few one size covers. Sure beats 2,000 bucks in disposables!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I also plan to use cloth nappies- old school, terry towelling squares! A friend is trying to pick up some mother ease covers for me. I did buy some liners and boosters, and the nappy nippas to fasten them with.

I'm actually looking forward to using cloth nappies, even though all my friends here (and husband) think I'm weird and it will be 'so much more work.' I figure I'll already be doing extra loads of laundry, and how long can it really take to fold them up!?

My mother-in-law looked horrified when my husband told her my plans, but that actually makes me more determined! I'm planning to use disposables for the first 2-3 weeks, just until I get settled in a routine.

I found thenappylady.co.uk to have a lot of useful information.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use bumGenuis 4.0 one size pocket diapers, but I also have some bumGenius all-in-ones and a FuzziBunz pocket diaper. At first, what I used was cloth prefolds with a snappi (no pins) and a thirsties diaper cover. I really like the pocket diapers that I primarily use, and I have a friend who uses a knockoff of them she ordered from China that she really likes as well.

The pocket diapers have 2 parts. An outside covered in snaps so you can adjust the size, and then a pocket on the inside where you stick the absorbent pads (microfiber). The outside is totally waterproof (PUL) and the inside that touches the baby's skin is made of a wicking material that lets liquid through one way only. The pocket inserts soak up a ton of liquid, but obviously as with any diaper you have to change it for a poop. I found that many of my kid's poops would just peel out like a pancake (sorry to be graphic) and that not much would be left to spray off, but a little water would do it pretty quick. Sometimes it's not so perfect but I was surprised at how easy it was, maybe it's the stuff on the surface of the inside of the diaper?

Initially, I used prefolds with covers because I thought they were less expensive. But after my kid grew I realized that a.) I needed to buy them all over again in a bigger size, and b.) they weren't really great as diapers (they were okay, just not great -- my son is a super heavy wetter and I was changing him very frequently, like every 1/2 hour sometimes -- & I got similarly poor mileage out of disposables).

So then I did some research and realized that at our rate of diaper use we would spend something like $9,000 a year on disposable diapers. For $300-$400 we could get a very sizable collection of the "fancy" cloth diapers we now own that would last him multiple years and be usable by any future kids. And when I took into account that we would have to buy new sizes for prefolds and prefold covers, they weren't actually less expensive than "fancy" dipes in the long run.

Where it can hit you financially, if you are a homeowner paying your own water bill or a laundromat user, is that they generally need to be double washed. This is also an environmental concern for some people. We do some stuff that I like to think makes it work out for us, but it's going to vary a lot by what your living situation is.

If you're interested in doing it, make sure you do a little reading first on how to care for the diapers, what to do if they aren't getting clean, learn about "stripping" them, etc. Also be aware that many (most?) diaper rash ointments will mess your diapers up for good (fortunately I only made this mistake with our prefolds). So you have to research "cloth safe diaper cream" a little.

The only time I don't love them is on multi-hour plane flights. I buy the smallest possible pack of disposables for those so that if my kid poops I don't have to try to wash the diaper out in the airplane bathroom while he tries to dive head first into whatever. But I use them all the time in places with public bathrooms and its pretty much easy and fine.

Laundry: it's a lot of laundry. But it's a lot of the kind of laundry you will have a lot of anyway. I throw cloth bibs, wet washcloths covered in shmutz, anything like that, into my diaper load. Once in a while your baby will go crazy while you're changing a poopy diaper, or massively puke all over you, and you can just stick that in your diaper pail too. I wash a load every other day, usually put it in at night after bed for the cold wash and in the morning I just run down and put it on for the hot wash. If it works logistically and in your climate, drying them in the sun is a good way to make them smell like nothing. Here in MA I can only do that in the summer but it's pretty great and helps with the level of energy use that is put in to them.

Bottom line for me was that my pocket diapers lasted longer (3-4 hours with a double insert), leaked less, and cost me less than disposables or equal to other cloth diapers I had tried. When I decided to go for them, I bought a couple different brands to see what fit my son's body type the best (he is small and lanky). The bumGenius pockets were just the ones that worked well for us. Some sites that sell cloth diapers have a package you can buy that gives you one each of several different cloth options so you can see what, if anything, works for you.

I didn't find them to make my life harder. If I did, we would have quit FAST -- we had lots of medical issues, 4 surgeries in the first year, a special feeding device, I was pumping milk 3 hours a day because my son was medically unable to breastfeed and yet couldn't tolerate even Nutramigen formula well... a wild ride. But the diapers weren't a big issue amongst all that. They're annoying for some I'm sure but everyone's experience is different and they were not a problem for me.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    At 25 weeks pregnant I ventured into Babies R Us for the first time ever today. And I think we're going to try G Diapers. Anyone use them / have thoughts or opinions?

I like that there is a cloth option (which we'd like to do most of the time) but also a biodegradable, disposable liner for travel or "oops I didn't do enough laundry" back up. Added bonus: Our last name starts with "G" and there is an adorable "G" stitched into the back of many of the standard styles :)

Anyway, wondering what people think. They got great reviews on amazon and we're comfortable with the price point. My husbands company typically gives new parents a sizeable gift card that would cover the cost almost entirely if we do G diapers for 2 years (one of the reasons we're wanting to go cloth...big $$ savings.)
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I've been considering cloth diapering this time around. I know there are benefits, and they do sound good. But I just don't feel committed to the idea. Everything I've seen makes me think it would be *somewhat* better than disposables, but not *so much* better. And DH feels, because I'm not committed, I'll do it for a couple of weeks and then quit.

So far, the benefits seem to be:

- Cheaper. Which is good, but money isn't really a concern for us. And I can get 20 days+ worth of newborn diapers from Amazon for $25. Free shipping, and sent automatically so I don't even have to think about it. I know that adds up, but $25 is so little that I will probably spend it without even thinking about it on something I don't need and won't even remember a few days later.

- The environment. Which is also good. Definitely a factor in many decisions, but not *the* deciding factor.

- Fewer leaks and blow-outs. REALLY? I don't understand how or why this would work, but if it's true, that may be the thing that puts me over the edge. I HATE dealing with leaking diapers. Also, I'm planning to wear this baby more often than I wore my other babies, so less leaking into the wrap would be great!

Questionable:

- Needs to be changed more often. I think this is a positive. I'd like to get in the habit of changing this baby more often than I did with my previous babies. But the reason I feel like I didn't change them enough was because it was hard to tell when the disposables needed to be changed if they weren't dirty. Is it easier to tell when a cloth diaper needs to be changed -- and *before* it *really* needs it? Is this actually something that cloth diapers makes easier, or is it more like... like, when it's obvious the cloth diaper needs to be changed, it's already just as bad as if you'd waited until it was obvious that the disposable needs to be changed? I don't know if changing to cloth would help, or if I should just set a timer and change the baby every so many minutes, needed or not. (I feel so dumb asking about this. This is my EIGHTH child, and it seems like I should have a better grasp on diapers by now.)

(BTW, other baby wearers -- how often do you take baby out of the carrier just to see if she needs a change? If baby is sleeping in the carrier, do you just wait until she wakes up? I didn't wear my other babies around the house, so this wasn't much of an issue, but I want to do that this time.)

Cons:

- Laundry. I already have to do about three loads a day just to keep up with clean clothes. It's pretty much the one thing that I feel like having a large family actually makes really difficult. I'm really concerned about not having clean diapers, and not being able to just run to the store. Store run takes 20 minutes -- load of laundry takes 90. Longer if the diapers have to be washed twice. (I just read that in this thread. More info?)

- There are so many options, and everybody has a different idea of what to buy, and all the explanations that people give sound confusing to me (because I don't understand the terminology). This is our last baby, and cloth diapers are a big initial output, and I don't want to buy a bunch of something and then have to go buy a bunch of something else. I really need to get it right the first time, or I probably would just give up.