The Poetry of Nerds and Geeks

Options
2»

Replies

• tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome thread!

Here's one that I love from Doctor Who. The episode is called "Vincent and the Doctor"

Amy Pond: We didn't make a difference at all.

The Doctor: I wouldn't say that. The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. Hey.

[hugs Amy]

The Doctor: The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
  • soldier4242
    soldier4242 Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    ==================================================================================================
    Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true
    rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has
    always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save
    us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of
    evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest
    of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore
    he must exist.

-- Academician Prokhor Zakharov,
    "For I Have Tasted The Fruit"
    ==================================================================================================
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    whoops this one's already featured nm
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    From Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Spike says this to Buffy and Angel in the episode Lover's Walk

You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight and you'll shag and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children, it's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will. I may be love's b!itch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it.
  • AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    There are some many quotes I could pull from my favourite book, I've read 18 times since I was 13.

If you haven't read I am legend, please do.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say I'm enjoying this too... thanks for starting it, soldier :)
  • DaniEdge9
    Options
    This quote from Breaking Bad is pretty damn resonant to me...

Skyler White: Walt, please, let's both of us stop trying to justify this whole thing and admit you're in danger!

Walter White: [Walter turns to face Skylar; fire is in his eyes. He isn't Walt anymore. It's Heisenberg] Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!

Love this thread.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Data builds another android much like himself. He allows this new android to choose its own gender and it chooses to be a human female. Probably due to the android becoming fond of Deanna. Starfleet is so impressed by his success they request that Data turn her over to Star Fleet for further study. Data gives and impassioned speech explaining why he cannot allow this to happen.

Lt. Cmdr. Data: Admiral. When I created Lal, it was in the hope that someday, she would choose to enter the Academy and become a member of Starfleet. I wanted to give something back, in return for all that Starfleet has given me. I still do. But Lal is my child. You ask that I volunteer to give her up. I cannot. It would violate every lesson I have learned about human parenting. I have brought a new life into this world. And it is my duty - not Starfleet's - to guide her through these difficult steps to maturity. To support her as she learns. To prepare her to be a contributing member of society. No one can relieve me from that obligation. And I cannot ignore it. I am... her father.
    ====================================================================================================
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Let me just reiterate my thanks and appreciation for this topic. I may not check every day, but every time I do, there is something worth reading.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This exchange from the Buffy episode "Family" always gets me a little choked up.

Buffy: You want her, Mr. Maclay? You can go ahead and take her. You just gotta go through me.
    Mr. Maclay: What?
    Buffy: You heard me. You wanna take Tara out of here against her will? You gotta come through me.
    Dawn: And me!
    Mr. Maclay: Is this a joke? I'm not gonna be threatened by two little girls!
    Dawn: You don't wanna mess with us.
    Buffy: She's a hair-puller.
    Giles: And you're not just dealing with two little girls.
    Xander: You're dealing with all of us.
    Mr. Maclay: This is insane. You people have no right to interfere with Tara's affairs. We are her blood kin! Who the hell are you?
    Buffy: We're family.
  • soldier4242
    Options
    Just dropping in to say I'm enjoying this too... thanks for starting it, soldier :)
    Sorry I have not posted a new quote for you all in a while. I am trying to maintain a standard that we have done pretty well at living up to so far. You are very welcome. I am glad that others are actually enjoying this as much as I am. There was a point at the beginning where I thought I was the only one who was in to this sort of stuff.

This one is from Ghost in the Shell where the Puppet Master is wrestling with the idea of whether or not AI is alive or not. He feels he meets most of the definition of being alive but that he falls short.

================================================================================================
    Puppet Master: I refer to myself as an intelligent life form because I am sentient and I am able to recognize my own existence, but in my present state I am still incomplete. I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

Major Motoko Kusanagi: But you can copy yourself.

Puppet Master: A copy is just an identical image. There is the possibility that a single virus could destroy an entire set of systems and copies do not give rise to variety and originality. Life perpetuates itself through diversity and this includes the ability to sacrifice itself when necessary. Cells repeat the process of degeneration and regeneration until one day they die, obliterating an entire set of memory and information. Only genes remain. Why continually repeat this cycle? Simply to survive by avoiding the weaknesses of an unchanging system.
    ================================================================================================