Hello!

Options
shaybosh
shaybosh Posts: 50 Member
My name is Shay. I'm new to the group. My son will be 4 in October. He's quite severe ASD and non-verbal. Extremely strong and fast! 4 months ago I decided I needed to get in shape to keep up with him. I have to stay stronger and faster than he is so I can keep him safe and calm. In 4 months I'm down 18 lbs and 22". I've got quite a ways to go, but I'm enjoying the new life style. I've been doing lots of strength training, cardio and walking. I have lots of energy, I can keep up with him at the park, and I can hold him still during his meltdowns. He's been enjoying all our long walks, too! He's in the stroller most of the time, but he's getting lots of exposure and social interactions. Basically every day he isn't in daycare, we'll go for a walk. Sometimes in the double stroller with his little sister!
On Monday I decided I needed to kick things up a notch, so I re-joined MFP and changed the macros to follow a low-carb, high protein/fat/fibre diet. I have PCOS and that's supposed to be the best diet plan to get results and help with the PCOS symptoms (one of the biggest symptoms being difficulty losing weight).

I'm glad I found this group, even if it is pretty quiet!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! That's really great!
  • cgolias120
    cgolias120 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am an adult with Asperger's Syndrome, a high functioning autism spectrum disorder. I have been on the Hypothyroidism revolution by Tom Brimeyer (I also have hypothyroidism). I am sitting here, cold and tired as I type this. i eat 50% carbohydrates, 30% protein (usually dairy and egg whites as I am also a vegetarian), and 20% fat (butter or coconut oil, some fat from cheeses). I am 138 lbs and want to stay there.

I tend to not let strangers get too close to me; this is an issue in my college classes, as other students like to sit next to me, but it makes me nervous. I am then in the middle of the aisle for the entire class. When a room I am in gets too full (i.e., waiting room in a doctor's office), I will get up and hide somewhere i can be left alone. I avoid people touching me this way. I am also sensitive to loud noises, so I have special earphones that muffle noise for that. Forget vacuums; I can't stand the noise, so I got a carpet sweeper instead.

Can Asperger's make you lazy and messy? i never liked to clean, even as a child. My mother had to force me to. But now, as an, adult, I tend to avoid it until it gets really bad. I never learned to like clean spaces and don't understand why. I was more in than out of the hospital with grand mal seizures from about 18 months to 12 years, but I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.