Losing weight or getting strong. Or both?

Options
Bmoremama
Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
Hi everyone,

I've completed three weeks of the 5x5 and have been strict about it, not adding much in the way of accessories and doing some cardio but nothing major. Walking most days too. The days I am in a clear calorie deficit, I drop weight on the scale, but overall I'm holding steady. I'm severely anemic so I'm fatigued and working out makes me hungry so that's working against me. BUT, I feel so strong. My body is firming up and I can lift things easily I couldn't three weeks ago.

What is the science behind doing this program and also shedding weight? I've lost 75 pounds and would like to lose 25 more. Any advice is welcome!

Replies

• Bmoremama
    Options
    Anyone know where I can read up on this?
  • lwhayes820
    lwhayes820 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Not specific to this program. A Workout Routine has some info about how to do both and so does the book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger. Do a google search for a workout routine. Also, there's a community group called Eat More to Weigh Less that has information, too.
    Hope this helps.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    in my first year i was all about both at once. entirely my own experience here, but i think when you're brand new you have a narrow little time window in which it does work.

for me, i got about as light as i'll ever be [125] within maybe four months, and i did get somewhat stronger during that time. it's kind of moot in my case though since i had so much to learn about form idk if i ever really was challenging my body to grow muscle and strength during that time. i

once i felt i was well under 125 pounds i felt like i could start putting more calories into the strength project, so i only tried to do what you're doing for a short time. for what it's worth: i got 'thin' but didn't much like how it looked, so my decision to invest more in eating to grow muscle tissue was a deliberate one. that was a year and a half ago, and at 140'ish i weigh more now than i did when i started lifting with 'just a couple more pounds' that i wanted to lose. i also find that now i'm working with a trainer there's just not-no-way 1200 calories a day could be even a thing.
  • Bmoremama
    Options
    Thank you both for the help!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    That was a very informative article. Thanks for posting fanncy!!
  • Bmoremama
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'd like to pipe in here. I just started lifting about 2 weeks ago. I am 5'11 and 190#, with a good 40# of fat-lots around my middle-to lose. I am sedentary except for the 5x5 workout, and walking for 20ish minutes a few times a week.

I switched my diet to LC about a week before I started lifting, as I was tired of the scale roller coaster going up and down all the time. LC has worked well for me in the past, and I am not really looking for advice on that...more advice on how much should I be eating? I have my calories set to sedentary, and don't "eat any back". I eat lots of protein and fat. The scale has been slow at dropping, but 4 weeks ago, I weighed 197, and last Saturday I was down to 189. I am currently back up to 191.
    I know the scale is a fickle thing, and I am not overly concerned about it bouncing around...but I want to make sure I am properly fueling my workouts, and also burning fat. I don't want to find out months down the road that I have been eating too much or too little or whatever. I'd like to get it right from the get go.

Any insight? I haven't been logging food much, but am getting back to it now.

My main goal is to drop this 40# of fat I have been carrying for a decade. I enjoy weightlifting, and getting stronger is awesome (everyday I get a new PR, lol) but if I have to chose one right now, I'd rather drop the fat. Can I do this and lift?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    I'd like to get it right from the get go.

not that i know much, but . . . idk if this is possible. i get the impression just about everyone with an answer found hers by experimenting to find her own personal match. your body adjusts as it goes along when you lift for the long haul, so what works or is 'right' in the newbie stages might need some tinkering after a while.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    @canadianlbs Thanks for your input. Anyone else want to weigh in?
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I depends on your goals. If the most important thing is to lose weight, eat less. If you really want to get stronger and lift heavier, eat more.

Don't try to lose more than one to two pounds a week, because your body can't metabolize body fat faster than that. If you lose weight faster, you're losing muscle and water.

Use the MFP calculator to estimate your calorie goal. Keep at that level for 3-4 weeks, and then make adjustments based on your outcome. Be sure to l Iog your food accurately.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^^ this is great advice, especially the 1 or 2 pounds a week. it doesn't seem like much on the face of it but it really adds up. especially if you're lifting the whole time. it's the best distraction i've ever found from the 'are we there yets' of just being fixated on getting my weight to a certain number.

as far as workout fuel goes, you said you like your current lc path and aren't looking to change. fwiw though, i do think there's some value to the 'carbs before lifting, protein after' idea.
  • Kirstie155
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to continue lifting (cause I love it and LOVE being strong) but am going to add in more cardio on my off SL days. So far in the 3 weeks Ive been lifting, I have only managed to do SL 2x per week (oops?) I thought I was doing 3 but apparently I skip one workout a week! So the plan for the next 3-4 weeks is to do SL 2x per week, and do cardio/zumba 2/3 times per week. I will reevaluate then.
    I am also making a strong effort to log my food again. I had been working on hunger cues, but when the fat isn't melting off-its time to crack down on these things and get to logging.

For now, I fell like I am eating enough to fuel my workouts. Most SL routines find me with success, and when I do fail (looking at you, OHP..) it is usually because I feel my form isn't right and I want to focus more on that. Except my OHP yesterday. That was straight up gravity! :blush: Anyway, I don't feel like my muscles just can't handle it, or that I'm not eating enough. So I will continue to eat at a deficit and try and blast this fat. Wish me luck!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    it's a tough call, and i know the feeling. 'i wanna just crush this workout' / 'darn, still chubby.' i found for myself that i just go through natural cycles about it. gain a certain level of strength, and i start feeling like okay, i can afford to put some towards the weight loss idea. get my weight to a certain level and it's like okay, now i can let myself eat for the gym. the tradeoff is probably part of why i'm starting out my third year and i haven't got bored.