Milk Thistle?

Options
megstoo
megstoo Posts: 47 Member
I have been reading online that milk thistle can help with PCOS. Has anyone taken it, what has been your experience? I have an appointment next month to see my doc and was going to ask him but was curious if anyone's taken it?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was reading about it the other day for liver support... Seems that even in treatment for PCOS that this is what it's used for...though it looks anecdotal. As long as you don't have existing liver issues and check things regularly, I can't see that this would be contra-indicated... (Milk Thistle , twice daily, for detoxification). If you have low stomach acid, digestive issues, gallbladder issues/removal, or liver concern (hepatitis, fatty liver, cirrhosis, etc.), it looks like this would look like this would be a natural thing to include.

I would probably ask your doctor about it...

Why Milk Thistle Seed Should Be a Part of Your Natural Fertility Plan

Stimulates liver regeneration and cleansing.
    Flushes excess hormones from the liver.
    Flushes toxins from the liver.
    Heals the liver from toxin damage from alcohol, car exhaust, chemical pollution, etc.
    A clean liver aids in hormonal balance.
    Protects the liver from future toxin damage.
    Some research shows it is helpful for people with insulin resistance, including PCOS and type 2 diabetes.
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've been looking into this the last few days as well and have read almost that exact thing. My OB/GYN was saying that a lot of people with PCOS also tend to have fatty liver. I'm supposed to see him next month and was going to bring it up but wasn't sure if anyone's taken it and had it help with PCOS.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Insulin resistance is a significant contributor to fatty liver, to my understanding. Have you had your fasting insulin tested or ever taken Metformin? That can help, too...