PLEASE ADVISE!!

Options
Hey everyone. Ive known I had PCOS for about 10 years. I was not sexually active, but I was not having a period. At an early age my doctor put me on birth control to regulate my period. I was on birth control for a few years, but I was also taking high blood pressure medicine. During the time I was on BC, I had a regular period and my cysts went away. I got off birth control after about 3 years of regular use. Since then, I have had a regular monthly period. Only once was a a few days late.

In 2011 I was having ovarian pain. I went to the doctor and discovered I had a cysts that burst. Despite that, I was still having a regular period. I lost my dad last November, and moved across the country to be back home with my mom in February this year. I have a new job (lawyer so it is pretty stressful), saving up for a wedding, and worry about my health/weight.

I was noticing my period was "changing"--a little later, shorter periods, longer periods, Also having strong ovarian pain, etc....It basically was just not the same anymore, so I went to my doctor at the end of May. My PAP was normal. I had an ultrasound and discovered I have cysts on both ovaries. BLAH! However, I am NOT a birth control candidate anymore because it is not safe to be on birth control and high blood pressure at the same time as it increases chances of stroke.

Well, I was set to start my period on Monday...here we are, Friday, and still nothing. I am a little freaked out. I do engage in unprotected sex with my fiance. However, I took TWO pregnancy tests on Tuesday and Wednesday, and both were negative. HAS ANYONE ELSE SUDDENLY NOT HAD A PERIOD AFTER HAVING A SEMI-REGULAR PERIOD FOR SO LONG?

While an unexpected pregnancy would be a bit overwhelming, I think that would be the greater blessing than finding out I am skipping a period because I am NOT OVULATING. Welcoming comments/advice.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Obvious note is obvious - it would probably be good to use other forms of contraception, if nothing else to reduce the stress of a potential pregnancy. Between the PCOS and the high blood pressure, you'd be in for a very risky pregnancy as it is. It's probably not worth it right now.

That said, on to brighter things!

I've had something similar. My period randomly started up earlier this year, and a couple of months ago just as randomly quit. Interestingly, while they were going, they were regular, albeit extremely light. I suspect (and will likely find out within a few weeks) that it has to do with my activity level. It was going strong while I was doing my martial arts and weight lifting. It stopped shortly after I stopped lifting. Now that I'm lifting again, we'll see if it comes back. So check your workouts, and perhaps start a lifting or other strength training routine.

Also, what kinds of foods have you been eating? Have you tried something like low carb or Paleo? Either tend to do well for people with PCOS (particularly with insulin resistance), and I've seen a number of rave reviews for the effects of following Paleo for high blood pressure.
  • dezbear
    dezbear Posts: 21
    Options
    With my pregnancy with my son (big surprise) I didn't get a positive test till I was 8 weeks along. My boobs were very sore and sensitive and I was nauseous. So if you have any symptoms that make you think you are pregnant I would call a dr. to make sure. The reason my pregnancy never registered was because my hormones were so off wack form PCOS and I need to have hormone shots to keep the pregnancy. Not trying to scare you or anything but if your periods are fairly regular and now they aren't I would call the dr. just to check out everything is OK.