Weigh a Minute! 7/12

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
Ever been on what you think is a good calorie plan that can help you to lose weight, but the pounds just don't seem to come off? You're probably eating more than you think.

Level 1: Read this article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Level 2: Weigh your food. Measure your food. Ensure you're calculating everything properly today...and every other day.

This is one of the biggest changes that helped me when I got stuck at a weight. Make sure you're being as accurate as possible.

Replies

• NatashaShen
    NatashaShen Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    For the past few days I have been over estimating my caloric intake. The package says 150 kcals per serving, I find an entry on here that says 160...I go with the 160. I also don't like to actually measure everything. So if I eyeball a cup of something, I log 1.5 cups just to be safe.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind my chiming in on this:

I also believe that in a prolonged caloric deficit, it is very easy and very normal to gradually slip/slack as far as measuring/weighing food intake goes. As time goes on most people will start estimating here and there, or sneaking in bites of this or that, and collectively these things MIGHT add up to a significant amount of calories. Even being aware of this, I do it myself and every time I plateau or slow down in weight loss I will look at this aspect of dieting FIRST, and typically that's the biggest issue. And often times that's the only issue, and it corrects itself when I put things under the microscope.

So not only is it important to apply these things, but it's important to revisit this every few weeks or when things slow down.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Whew! Thought this was going to be something about getting on a scale, I can't handle that trauma twice in one week, Monday's was bad enough!

I've been weighing and measuring everything for so long, it's become a habit (also part of my lab rat tendencies) I think the only thing that I lax on and it's mainly because I've seen enough consistency per package that I'm comfortable. When I decide to use packaged products like lunchmeat or cheese, I'll weigh out the portion size when I open the package and count the slices in the portion size note on the package how many slices so I don't forget, and for that package, I'll count out the slices from that point on and when I get a new package, I start over (I've seen a variation between the weight:slice from on the package to the weight:slice that I get and I've seen variation between packages).
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    All right - you've sold me. I have to buy a new scale that actually measures in grams. I weigh a lot of things but if the package says 'two tablespoons' I use that and that is a mistake according to the YouTube video in the link you provided. Well, well, thank you to both AakAakAak and to SideSteel for the posts. Sigh.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If you can wait a month you can order one from China for about $7...which is what mine cost. If you want one RIGHT NOW you can usually pick one up for about $20-30.

Edit: The other thing I'm seeing personally, is if I'm borderline religious about weighing and measuring everything I'm better able to guestimate things when I don't have a choice. For example, my Fourthmeal dinner was complete guesswork tonight. (It's kind of hard to pick everything apart and weigh and measure with an angry Korean woman standing over you yelling "JUST EAT IT!")
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you can wait a month you can order one from China for about $7...which is what mine cost. If you want one RIGHT NOW you can usually pick one up for about $20-30.

Edit: The other thing I'm seeing personally, is if I'm borderline religious about weighing and measuring everything I'm better able to guestimate things when I don't have a choice. For example, my Fourthmeal dinner was complete guesswork tonight. (It's kind of hard to pick everything apart and weigh and measure with an angry Korean woman standing over you yelling "JUST EAT IT!")

^ Definitely agree with this. I think using a food scale teaches you how to better estimate in times when you can't weigh.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of weighing and measuring but the thing that dries me crazy is when I eat out at a local restaurant. I try to pick the listing that is the highest for the item I ate, but I think that sometimes it is a way higher count than the actual item that I ate. I realize that I shouldn't be too obsessive and it is only one meal but.....
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    yes, this is true. Very true...I do weigh food and use cups. I am a bad girl...sometimes I want more and measure it and face the music.
  • lisaissasa
    lisaissasa Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    At this juncture I do not weigh my food. Thus far using the standard method has worked out for me. Thank God!. I already get poked fun at for using an actual measuring cup rather than just pouring the cereal in the bowl. LOL But I sure liked the Youtube video. It makes complete sense. I am with Garlic on this one, I just take the hit and face the music. With a few tears of course. he he he :-)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ever been on what you think is a good calorie plan that can help you to lose weight, but the pounds just don't seem to come off? You're probably eating more than you think.

Level 1: Read this article: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Level 2: Weigh your food. Measure your food. Ensure you're calculating everything properly today...and every other day.

This is one of the biggest changes that helped me when I got stuck at a weight. Make sure you're being as accurate as possible.

I saw a YouTube video showing how easy it is to go over just using measuring cups instead of weighing everything. Weighing is a good habbit to get into. I tend to over log my calories and under log my exercise.