Suggestions about questions to ask

Options
Leather_N_Lace
Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
I am going down to my local Box today to see what all the excitement is about CF. I just entered a fitness challenge and I thought Crossfit would be a great way to drive lean muscle mass development and lose some inches!
I have been doing pretty well so far I think with the exercises/weights I have been doing, but I really want to kick it up a notch.
I'm not worried about gaining weight if I am trading fat for muscle... I am more focused on my inches lost and how much energy I have.
Any suggestions about questions I should be asking or information regarding finding a good Crossfit location in my area.. ?
Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Ask the coaches what their backgrounds are and what their training is, what their philosophy is in regards to Crossfit. You really want to hear an emphasis on form first, then adding weight later. Also take a look at the space and how big it is.

My box is located in a gym and is about to take over the spinning room and the aerobics class room because we are outgrowing the space. I would not be at all surprised if a few years down the road the entire gym is CF.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Ask if they are an official Crossfit affiliate. If you ever want to compete, this will usually play a factor in which competitions you can enter. Also, if you want to participate in the Open for the fun of it, you will either have to perform at an affiliate or video tape what you do and post it online.

Ask about what the community in the box is like. Some are a mixture of personalities, some are a lot more beginner focused, some are more competitor focused. It just depends on what fits you and what you want to get out of it.

I also agree with hearing an emphasis on form first. I am having to tweak my form a lot more 3 years down the road than I should be because when I started my coaches were still very young and though they knew how important proper form was, I had okay form and was allowed to continue. They have grown a lot as coaches and now realize how much form can affect certain aspects of training. Luckily, my form has never hurt me, but I have experienced a lot of resistance from my body being able to increase on lifts because I am having to re-teach my muscles what they need to do when.

Best of luck!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    http://map.crossfit.com/

That will help tell you if your box is an Affiliate

Interesting...there are 3 Affiliate boxes within a mile of mine at most. One like 1/4th of a mile away. I guess that should keep the coaches/owners on their toes :)
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Options
    It looks like there is one right across the street from my father-in-laws house! Guess that is where I will go first:)
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    So how did the visit go??
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Options
    I absolutely loved it and I have sent the email requesting more information for my on ramping!!
    I cannot wait to get started!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    ^Enjoy! The variability and the group component really make it enjoyable.
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loved it and I have sent the email requesting more information for my on ramping!!
    I cannot wait to get started!

Great!! On-ramp is 3 weeks at my box and starts the first of every month. I'm in my last week of on-ramp!!
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Options
    Awesome... Sounds like you are really enjoying it!!

Just got my e-mail back and I will start August 12th!! It is a week long = 4 days.

They just revamped their on ramp.. It used to be 3 weeks if I remember correctly.