New Here

Options
mitzvahmom78
mitzvahmom78 Posts: 64 Member
Hi, I'm new here.
I have struggled with my weight since college, and I'm 46 now. I started to get serious about diet and exercise a few years ago. I worked with a trainer, took tennis lessons, did Weight Watchers, etc., and I was doing pretty well. Last spring I started having problems with pain. Last summer I was diagnosed with widespread osteoarthritis, spondylolisthesis, DJD, facet disease, and fibromyalgia. In the past few months I had some acute injuries and a surgery, and I am awaiting another surgery. My only exercise for the last year has been physical therapy. I was already clinically obese when all this started, and I have gained 50 more pounds in the past year and a half. I am seriously considering bariatric surgery. I'm here now to try to get my eating under control and to try to figure out a way to lose weight without strenuous exercise...and to find support in slowly working my way back into whatever exercise I can do. Please "friend" me if you are working on similar issues. I need all the buddies I can get!

Replies

• babspalmer
    babspalmer Posts: 48
    Options
    I understand having physical therapy as your only exercise. I've found for me, even if it's only a 5-minute-brisk walk, it helps. Not only physically but emotionally too. Then slowly add a minute here or there. I've been doing this and I can now do 20 minutes of exercise (walking briskly and jogging). Constantly being in pain is not fun. I've spent the last few years with pain somewhere on my body. Most days I can keep going, but there are days my body says, Nope, you're not doing anything. I've learned to accept these days and just rest. Thankfully, most of these days are on weekends after a crazy week at work (I teach 2nd grade). Good luck!