Cardio?

Options
Ssumner2001
Ssumner2001 Posts: 34 Member
Is it ok to do cardio on the off days? Such as Zumba, treadmill, arc trainer..etc.

Replies

• Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do you get Medhi's emails? He recommends light cardio if any. Go for a walk. Stuff like that. Personally I did cardio on machines the first few weeks and it was not helpful - my legs were more tired and I was so very hungry. Now I walk at work and try to be active in general, without specific cardio work. I'm interested to hear other opinions.
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested as I would like to swim on off days.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i bike commute, and for me it seems to depend how much i put into either of the activities. if i lift like gangbusters, my bike ride is slow. if i ride it like i stole it, my lifts can be off. otoh, moving is almost always a good thing for me on a non-lifting day, so it balances out.

neither one totally blocks the other. but i have a certain amount of fuel/whatever, and my body needs a certain amount of time to replenish it. so it's about budgeting. i think if you do do both then after a while you just learn what your own body's patterns and preferences are.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I did cardio during both Stronglifts and NROLFW (but not the hiit that was recommended in some of the stages in that book). It's mostly personal preference. While Medhi isn't a big fan and goes more into the guy focus about getting stronger, you can do cardio and run the program. I just never really did running right before lifting. I either did my cardio after looking or on separate days and times of day. But will depend on your schedule and it does help to give your body breaks from time to time.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I do the Kettlebell routine from Pavel Tsatsouline, StrongFirst program. The Kettlebell is supposed to enhance and improve lifting amounts.
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't see cardio being an issue as long as you eat enough so you don't lose your gainzzzz. :)