got sleeved on 4th of july

Options
19nov82
19nov82 Posts: 6 Member
Freedom from hunger!... kinda, lately I've been feeling hungry. I am probably not getting enough protein and that is why I decided to come back to MFP and track what I eat... now that I am actually eating enough to track it.

I struggle with chicken, I try to eat small pieces here and there and chew them very well but it makes me so uncomfortable so fast. I have been mostly surviving on cottage cheese and svelty 0% which is jello with a bit of yogurt. I also have a laughing cow wedge every other day but I wonder if that is healthy... certainly tastes like cheating.

I am at a point that I get hungry and I am afraid to eat the wrong thing that will either hurt my tummy or be unhealthy, been considering starting to make different types of pate as that consistency seems very comfortable for me right now, would that be healthy?

Replies

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi!

First, with the "hunger" this early out, that's unusual. If you are not on an acid reducer/blocker, I'd suggest getting on one. Often, our brains decipher the acid churning with hunger. I know that's what happens with me, and has for YEARS. I use OTC omeprazole. Call your surgeon for advice.

Second, if you can make the pate fit into your calorie goals, go for it. I know I needed everything in some kind of gravy for the first four months. NO MEAT went between my lips that wasn't heavily sauced.

Good luck! Read through our old threads for lots of GREAT meal ideas and recipe blogs! This group isn't the most active, but there's a lot of great info!
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hey there - congrats on the sleeve! I had bypass on April 18th and oddly enough I was hungry in the hospital - or could have been frustration when I just wanted to leave but told the doctor I was hungry..lol.

I have dealt with the discomfort - I use chewable papaya enzyme which helps, and I feel better after I throw up so I drink little sips of water to force whatever is stuck up. That's what helped me.

I struggled with meat for a while. I highly recommend cutting all meat as small as you can and chew, chew, chew. Literally sit and put your fork down between bites and count to 20 chews at least per bite. Some products and blogs I use - some are Bariatric friendly and others are not but have healthy recipes:

The World According to Eggface - blog

Bariatric Foodie - website/blog

Bariatric Eating - website - LOVE their new crunchers for a protein crunchy snack that doesn't taste like cardboard, their Believe ready to drink protein drink in mocha latte (haven't tried the other flavors yet), Inspire protein powder (Blueberry Cheesecake and Caramel Latte are good. Haven't tried the other flavors but Mexican Hot Chocolate sounds fantastic!

Skinnytaste - great recipes, not Bariatric

EmilyBites - great recipes, not Bariatric

Mel's Kitchen Cafe - same as above

Damn Delicious - same as above

Eat the Bear protein powder (www.etbfit.com)

Chike Nutrition - Coffee and Mocha coffee protein shakes - AMAZING!!! I didn't like the banana, orange or strawberry shakes but still have to try the chocolate and vanilla

Click - espresso based coffee protein powder - they have decaf versions - waiting for my container to come from Vitaminshoppe then will decide if I like Click or Chike better.

The ricotta bake from The World According to Eggface (thanks Nicole874), vanilla custards from Bariatric eating helped during the soft food stages, as well as mashed potatoes topped with melted cheese. I made split pea soup from Skinnytaste too which is delicious - you can always blend soups if you need to as well.

Hope this helps!
    Jen