PCOS What and Why??

Options
Firstly, I just want to thank all you ladies for being here and for all the information and support I've inadvertently acquired just from lurking here, I really appreciate this forum! THANK YOU

Secondly, is anyone available to discuss the provable whats and whys of PCOS? Like, what does this result from? While it knocks off-balance hormones and insulin levels it isn't necessarily a direct of diabetes or obesity, although it seems to be causal or at least related from everything I'm reading.

Could we have this because of stress? Is it possible that underlying anxiety or stress, or even heavy metal or chemicals in the tap water could be the cause? Like what do you know about why you have this? I know 2 other women in my former neighborhood with serious (cyst bursting) cases and of course my Erin Brockovich attenae starts whirling with the little I do know about possible contamination in the water. I've had metal exposure, lead in apartments, a high stress lifestyle for my entire 20s and early 30s. I also randomly got vitiligo on my face, which I discovered can be stress induced. So I don't mean to be the conspiracy theorist but wanted to know your thoughts if you feel like sharing- why you think you have PCOS??

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS after hirsutism, super anxiety, PMDD, 10 years of galactorrhea- sorry if TMI but it's breast milk with no baby- and one gnarly period that made me schedule an ultrasound where they saw the rim of little cysts. Got blood tests and have wonky balance of lutenizing and follicle stimulating hormones and high prolactin but everything else fine, no diabetes. I was prescribed metformin but am not ready to take this on a daily basis so I'm trying to exercise myself to freedom and have noticed at least a significant decrease in psycho-ness and less heavy periods as I come up on month 4 of pilates/yoga/ elliptical 4 times a week. I could have a benign pituitary tumor which would explain the breast milk thing (does anyone else have that?), the PCOS accounts for everything else. I don't currently have insurance and am not panicking, and do like and benefit greatly from reading all of these really informed accounts of the syndrome, diagnoses and treatments. I am looking forward to talking more about the causes if you guys have any input, thanks in advance!!

Replies

• stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    A fascinating theory that I read from a PCOS book in the early 2000s was that PCOS women are humankind's insurance policy for reproducing (and surviving) during famine. The dr speculated that most "normal" women stop ovulating in starvation, but PCOS women will ovulate in those conditions. Diabetes and PCOS are similar in that the metabolism is too efficient at hoarding calories. Built strong for the apocalypse!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    There is no "provable whats and whys of PCOS" right now, because there's really not that much known about it, particularly as it relates to the causes of it. PCOS is a rather complex disorder ("syndromes" by definition, are constellations of symptoms, so it's not as cut and dry as infectious diseases causes by pathogens, for example).

From what I've seen, my hypothesis is that it's largely due to the fact that women in general are more sensitive to our environment than men (hence why the people who struggle the least with things like weight loss are men, particularly young men). This sensitivity, combined with certain, as yet unknown, genetic risk factors results in the hormonal imbalances known as PCOS. "Our environment," however, is any of a number of things, not just the Brockovich-esque overt toxins -- the types and qualities of foods we eat (even so-called "healthy" ones), the presence of things like soy and high fructose corn syrup in nearly everything (and the fact that they're in nearly everything), trace toxins and endocrine disruptors in multiple different sources, the lack of certain beneficial foods and/or nutrients, contaminants in the air, etc.

Additionally, I doubt PCOS is caused by stress, but rather stress is caused/exacerbated by PCOS. Or, more accurately, cortisol is elevated by PCOS. Cortisol is a steroid hormone, as are the sex hormones. So, when one is screwy, the others usually follow to one degree or another.

The same goes with the obesity and diabetes. It's not likely they cause of PCOS, but rather, are caused by the PCOS. PCOS's hormonal disruption often causes hyperinsulinemia (too much insulin) and/or too much estrogen, both of which are known to contribute to weight gain. Hyperinsulinemia, exacerbated a high-insulin-prompting diet, results in burnout of the pancreas and liver, ultimately resulting in diabetes.

You might be interested in Woo's stuff. She's an RN, if I recall correctly, and does a lot of research and experimentation with diet and health. http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/2015/05/meat-protein-brain-fail-agitation.html
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the thoughts and info, Staci I love the "strong for the apocalypse" theory, it made me happy and Dragonwolf, thanks for your knowledge on hormones, it's bizarre that so many women have this and there's not really any clarification out there or in the doctor's office for what it really even is.