Week 20 Daily Check-In Thread for (Monday August 15th through Sunday August 21st)

Options
heatherc369
heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
Week 20...Holy Moly!

Replies

• AZLisaLou
    AZLisaLou Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I'm ready for another week. I had ups and downs over the weekend, but my biggest "wahoo" was that I had my lowest a.m. blood glucose reading since I started testing on 7/22. Still way too high, but I am going in the right direction.

Do any of you find that the recommended daily calorie intake is either too high or too low for your body? My health advisor through my insurance said I needed to eat only 1500 cal/day to lose weight. I find myself famished on that many calories. It takes a lot, I think, to get/keep a 260 lb girl going. I have also found that if I go too low, my body rebels and won't lose an ounce...even gaining weight sometimes. The whole process can be very frustrating. I still haven't found my "magic number".

Hope everyone here has a good week. I'm looking forward to seeing what all you write about.
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    @heatherc369 You're right...some people have to look devastating news square in the face to make a change. So happy for you that you were able to get things turned around (responding to last post of last week's thread.)
  • heatherc369
    Options
    I have been all over the spectrum on the calories, did 1200 alot , slowly inching toward 1600 currently, upping it a little at a time , everyone's different though !
  • heatherc369
    Options
    I surpassed my step and water goal, ate within my calories and did my usual (10) Sets of 20 Squats (10) Sets of 12 Lunges and (10) Sets of 30 Calf Raises. Did a 60 min chest workout as well.#WontQuitTilImFit #fitchick #fitness #weightloss #iwantmybodyback #nomorefat #MFP #dedication #commitment #dontwishforitworkforit #determination #timetotone #weightlossjourney #weightlosstransformation
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies.. I'm here.. accidentally posted in the 19 weeks thread yesterday. OOPS!

I'm still doing my metabolism reset and smoke free 72 days. Seeing steady gains in the gym which I'm focusing on since I've put on some weight through this reset/quit smoking period. Overall feeling good. Kicking major *kitten* in the weight room and staying the course on my reset.

@AZLisaLou I did my first loss period at 1200 cals which got me some quick results losing 25lbs and almost to my goal weight but then I found that switching back to maintenance calories at my true TDEE of around 2200 cals caused me to gain. From what I've read and my research is that this was due to my metabolism slowing down from the strict restriction. I'm within 15-20 lbs of my goal weight now and therefore I'm working on fixing my metabolism and heavy lifting. I'm on week 14 of Stronglifts 5x5 program and its awesome. I do read that the more you have to lose the more benefit you get from strict cuts because its important for your health to get that major part of the weight off. If you have a dietician/ or health professional coaching you I would try your best to do what they say. Maybe express to them how hard it is so they can help you find an adjustment or compromise.. the strict cut won't do you any good if you're bingeing due to feeling famished. Glad you're here!

@heatherc369 did you decide to stay at your goal weight or are you lowering it again? Just curious :) You look amazing. Are you just planning to stay at 1600 cals or are you planning to find your TDEE and work toward maintenance? I am learning from you. I'm going a different approach to this whole maintenance path so I'm paying attention to how you're doing it so I can try that if my way doesn't work for me. :)

@NadiaMayl Miss you! Hope you're doing well!
  • heatherc369
    Options
    I surpassed my step and water goal, ate within my calories and did my usual (10) Sets of 20 Squats (10) Sets of 12 Lunges and (10) Sets of 30 Calf Raises then I did 45 minute's of Bi's Tri's and Shoulders:) #WontQuitTilImFit #fitchick #fitness #weightloss #iwantmybodyback #nomorefat #MFP #dedication #commitment #dontwishforitworkforit #determination #timetotone #weightlossjourney #weightlosstransformation
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @Kerryatoon honestly girl I really don't know what the hell I'm doing still LOL just slowly over my calories and doing my thing trying to build muscle I don't really care but losing more weight I just want to lose this flab LOL
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    @heatherc369 well we're just gonna both be moving toward the same goal from different directions then huh? Lol! I'm in the build muscle, eat at TDEE phase right now but I'm gaining weight too. bleh. My plan is to go 6-8 more weeks at TDEE then introduce a 4-6 week cut and see what kind of muscles I got hiding under this fluff. :) We'll see how it goes!
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    @AZLisaLou like the girls above, I did the 1200 cals for a while to get down close to my goal, it worked, but sometimes hard. If I worked out hard, I'd be starving, so I looked for things that kept me full longer... Full fat Greek yogurt does that for me, even if just two tablespoons, eggs, grilled chicken... That sort of thing. Obviously, that's not sustainable long term. Then I started doing the TDEE and the weight loss slowed down, probably because there isn't too much left to lose. This is mostly a journey of learning what works individually and sustaining it long term. It sounds like you're doing well and really focused on getting your sugar levels in order, that's hard work, so cudos to you!!!
    Right now, I'm taking a break from most efforts, other than staying close to caloric numbers for 1/2 lbs. loss per week (1660 cals). I was sick for a few weeks and while on vacation, so I lost some extra weight (happy end to a yucky time), so I needed to focus on healing my tummy and not focusing too much on Ûnachievable workout goals. I am planning on going back to working out and getting back to discipline again next week, when my monkeys get back to school. I'll probably aim to eat between 1400-1600 and going to really aim at lifting heavier (5x5 StrongLifts).
    @heatherc369 and @Kerryatoon you girls always help me as inspiration and motivation! Whether quitting smoking (bad *kitten*) and trying what works best for you, or finding ways to include creative workouts and not giving up regardless of having a tough week! I am super glad I can come in here and check in every day, which helps me stay accountable in whichever my current goal is!
    I can't wait to see what else we're up to in the next few months!!!!
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @Kerryatoon I'm soo lost! I'm so used to "losing" I have to retrain my mind ...again......not sure where to start. Just slowly upping my cals ...
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @NadiaMayl I been wanting to do Stronglifts 5x5 !! But dint have the proper equipment.......at least yet;)
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    thanks for the input on the calories ladies. I'm trying to slowly reduce my calories for most days, but some days I'm just extra hungry and need a little more. I'll do my best to eat more protein on those days. I'm going to talk to my Health Coach in a couple weeks about my difficulty with staying lower. Although today I'm only at 1300 and I'm feeling pretty good! Problem is, I skipped breakfast when I know I'm not supposed to.

@NadiaMayl I just discovered Greek yogurt a few days ago! I tried it once and hated it, but I think it was plain. I decided to try it again and went for the Chobani Mixed Berry. It took a few bites to get used to the sharpness, but now I love it!!!! Last night I bought a couple more and I tried the Chobani Strawberry Banana fruit on the the bottom. Omg, it was so delicious! And, even though the containers are kind of small, I find that they are very filling. I'm going to stock up on more of these!!! They are so much more filling and full of flavor than Yoplait. Not to mention the high protein. And what is the stronglifts 5x5?

@heatherc369 You are really knocking it out of the park on the exercise. I envy your drive and commitment.

As for me, I got the results on my lab work yesterday. Yes, I am officially diabetic with an A1c of 9.5. I was expecting an 11.5, so that was better than I thought it would be. The thing I'm super proud about is that after many years of the opposite, all my cholesterols (HDL, LDL and Triglycerides) are in the normal range!!!! go me!!! With the diabetes I do not need to be on insulin, just 750 mg of metformin and some blood pressure med that has a dual purpose of protecting the kidneys from any damage that can be caused by diabetes. Just preventative. My kidney and liver function look great too. And, I lost 3 lbs from two weeks ago when I first went in to see him. The report all around was better than I expected.
  • heatherc369
    Options
    @AZLisaLou Better than expected is always good girl!
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    I found myself madly craving Chobani Greek yogurt today. Had to make a special trip to the store just to get some. So glad I discovered that I like it. So much protein and it's satisfying my sweet tooth.
  • NadiaMayl
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ugh... Snacked on chips this afternoon.... Ok ok ok and wine too.... I'm starting to feel the sluggishness of my choice to not push myself to get to the gym.... I'm so happy it's about to change!
    @heatherc369 you are doing fantastic! You give me hope that, once I restart actively pursuing a more fit self, it is doable!! Yay!
    @AZLisaLou little by little we start finding those go-to snacks or foods that let us go through it in a happy and satisfied way! :D one of my faves is microwaved popcorn in a paper sandwich bag! Just as good as air popped, and super easy! Quick and satisfying snack for me!
  • AZLisaLou
    Options
    @NadiaMayl I like popcorn in a bag too! A friend got me onto spraying a few spritzes of canola oil and topping with grated parmesan, onion powder and a hint of salt. Adds a lot of flavor.

The other day I was saying how I was having a hard time staying at about 1500 calories as recommended by my Health Advisor. The past few days I've been doing fantastic. Today was only 1284!!!! Problem is though that I've been skipping breakfast. The Greek yogurt is truly helping me feel fuller longer and also takes away cravings, so I'm more easily staying where I should be. I've lost almost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. Proud of myself for that! Now if I can just get myself to exercise. :(
  • heatherc369
    Options
    AZLisaLou wrote: »
    I found myself madly craving Chobani Greek yogurt today. Had to make a special trip to the store just to get some. So glad I discovered that I like it. So much protein and it's satisfying my sweet tooth.

Chobani Flips are life!!! lol
  • heatherc369
    Options
    NadiaMayl wrote: »
    Ugh... Snacked on chips this afternoon.... Ok ok ok and wine too.... I'm starting to feel the sluggishness of my choice to not push myself to get to the gym.... I'm so happy it's about to change!
    @heatherc369 you are doing fantastic! You give me hope that, once I restart actively pursuing a more fit self, it is doable!! Yay!
    @AZLisaLou little by little we start finding those go-to snacks or foods that let us go through it in a happy and satisfied way! :D one of my faves is microwaved popcorn in a paper sandwich bag! Just as good as air popped, and super easy! Quick and satisfying snack for me!

Thanks lady xoxoxoxo
  • Kerryatoon
    Options
    Hey ladies!! I'm so glad to see everyone here and checking in.. I'm sorry I've been pretty MIA lately. SO I hit my limit finally.. lol. Back to tracking and logging ALL FOOD for me..I'm still going to stay at the metabolism reset level of about 2000 cals but I HAVE GOT TO get back to tracking religiously.

I've been just kinda letting it all hang out and indulging pretty much however I want to.. lol. EEEEK! I went through about 2 weeks where I ate a whole tub of ben&Jerry's.. seriously that's like 1000 cals right there! Wasn't sweating my macros.. loving carbs.. etc. I was letting myself have whatever partly because of the metabolism reset thing and mostly (honestly) because I just said screw it.. I'm quitting smoking.. I'm gonna worry about one thing at a time.

I have still been lifting weights and having consistent increases in lifts so I was also affectionately calling it a "Dirty Bulk".. hahahaaa. SOOOOOO now I've reached that point.. I've officially gained 10 pounds and I'm done with this "dirty bulk" lol.

THE GOOD NEWS is that I am able to deal with these things today.. I don't have to go completely off the rails either direction.. I can cut myself some slack but also know when its time to get a little more consistent and attentive. AND here's the best part.. I DON'T HATE MYSELF for letting up a bit. I love myself enough to know that I needed a break from calorie counting while I went through the first few months of quitting smoking. I'm back on track as of today and while I don't expect to lose any weight for the next 6 or so weeks of my reset.. I'm going to be consistent about tracking and hope to not gain too much more.

@Nadia I'm excited that you're getting your munchkins back to school so you can get back to the gym.. I know you're going to do awesome. Also there is a Women's 5x5 group here on MFP that has been really helpful for me if you're ready to try it.. I LOVE IT!

@heatherc369 I don't even know what to tell you.. There are some maintenance threads here maybe they'll be able to help you figure out what to do now. I'll be watching and listening because I hope to be there soon too! Please let us know!

@AZLisaLou Glad to hear you got some good news at the Dr. and that you're already adjusting to the calorie intake. I found that once I got used to it, it was pretty easy to eat at my deficit. It was an adjustment.. but you'll figure out what works for you and we're here to help whatever you need!

77 DAYS QUIT!
  • NadiaMayl
    Options
    Yay for getting our @Kerryatoon back! We all understand the need to decompress and let go a little! So glad it's been good for you, with positive self-esteem, test passed with flying colors! Like you said, the smoking alone IS hard and it's good to realize when we need to focus on one thing at a time! In sure you're going to start seeing results with the tracking again, time to evict Tom and ask Jerry to follow him along! ;)
    Looking forward to more achievements and adventures!