Very New!!

Options
kr1stadee
kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
Hi Ladies (assuming everyone here is female lol)

I'm Krista. I've been reading about the benefits and results of lifting heavy since I started here last year, but I stuck to my small dumbbells because I was/am scared.

Last night, after some pleading and reasoning, my hubby ran out and got a weight bench from someone who was selling his. (and it's funny, my kids assume that it belongs to daddy.. umm.. nope, it's mommy's new toy!)

I've been reading up on Stronglifts 5x5 (thank you SO much for the summary, the other file is awful to get through!

Today, I started. I started with low weight on the bar - 10lbs, for the simple fact that I have been using 3lb dumbbells for a good while. I will eventually work my way up!

I felt like I should be doing more, or the weight should be heavier, but I kept it as is, I don't want to overdo it right away. Went for a hike and my thighs were feeling it!! hahah

My problem comes next week, I will be away on training, I leave Tuesday, and I'm finished Friday, and we're heading out to camp for the weekend. I'm going to see what the hotel gym has, but I don't know what I can do if they don't have a barbell/weights!

I just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself! :glasses:
I'm glad I found this group

Replies

• lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    welcome! we're nearly all ladies, with a few lurkers!

is that 10lb on top of the weight of the olympic bar? you need to factor the bar weight in :)

don't worry about the next week, pick it back up when you get back!
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm pretty new too. I am just back from 2 weeks holiday and will start lifting again on Tuesday. It's called life - any exercise program has to fit in with it. I was only on the SL program for a couple of weeks before I went away, so don't have any great weights to fear yet, anyway! I hope you enjoy your lifting experiences. :happy:
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    Hi there, also a newbie to lifting here. Nice to make your acquaintance :)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    welcome! we're nearly all ladies, with a few lurkers!

is that 10lb on top of the weight of the olympic bar? you need to factor the bar weight in :)

don't worry about the next week, pick it back up when you get back!

Ohh.. I didn't consider the bar weight.. so it was 10lbs of weight along with whatever the weight of the bar is (is there a way to find out if it's an olympic bar?)
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    ask someone, if it weighs 45lbs it's an oly bar :) they are 7' long and have some specific width as well.
    or hop on the scales with and without it!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself on the scale, then weigh yourself with the bar, and subtract. A standard (men's) Olympic bar weighs 20 kg/44 lb, but people round up to 45 for adding convenience. An Oly bar will also have 2" rotating sleeves that you fit the plates onto--the plates have to be able to spin while the bar is used for Olympic lifts, though they do not do anything useful for powerlifting-style lifts of the SL 5x5 kind.