Oh god, not cardio...

Options
Yo ruggas.

So, I got kinda serious about lifting this summer, and have kind of abandoned my coach's cardio plan. I NEED to be in rugby shape (cardio wise). Does anyone have anything they do for cardio fitness, especially other packies (I'm a prop)?

Thanks! I have 46 days before my first outdoor practice with the club.

Replies

• NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!
    Us props gotta stick together and support hookers :)
    My coach had us jogging 5 miles 5 times a week. God only knows what he had the backs doing...poor saps!
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How's your cardio endurance? If it needs work, go for the long slow distance runs. If it's decent enough though, try out sprint HIIT (Alternate 60sec jogging with 30sec sprinting. Repeat for 15mins). You'll get better explosive power & acceleration out of the sprint training. All the better to get you over that gain-line. ;)

From a fellow forward, but not a member of the front row union.
  • thescrumisfun
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will make some sort of alternating plan. I just don't want it to affect my lifting.
    @Houston - five miles five days a week?! Shiza.
  • bigscottyuk
    bigscottyuk Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the Devil's work for the front 5 (me lock)! But I'm afraid it has be acknowledged in the modern game.

Off season I plod at least 5k every other day. Mix that up with some interval training but keep it simple. I nicked this off internet some time ago. Works for me;

1st Session
    Using a rugby field run the try line at 75% and jog up the touchline. Repeat once you reach the other try line. This counts as 1 lap of the field. Aim to complete 3 continuous laps.

2nd Session/3rd Session
    Repeat the 1st session whist adding 1 extra lap each time.

4th Session
    Still using the rugby field, run up the touchline at 75% and jog the try line. Try to complete 3 laps. Try not to be sick.

5th Session/6th Session
    Repeat the 4th session whilst adding 1 extra lap each time.

7th Session
    Run 75% diagonally across the field from corner flag to corner flag, then jog the try line. Then run 75% diagonally in between the other two corner flags and then jog the other try line back to the start. This is one lap. Try to complete 3 continuous laps. These are called 'winders' or 'why the hell am I doing this?'.

8th session
    Run 75% every horizontal line e.g. try line, 22-meter line, and jog the touchline that connects each horizontal line. For example; run the try line at 75% and then jog the touchline until it meets the 22-meter line. Then run 75% down the 22-meter line and jog up the touchline until it meets the 10-meter line … You will see by this pattern that you are slowly making you way up the whole pitch. At the end of the pitch rest 3-5 minutes, put your lungs back inside your chest and repeat back down the field. This is probably the worst interval training drill ever invented but probably the best as it provides good long runs with a short active recovery.

If this gets too easy (highly unlikely for a standard forward) try carrying a ball in 2 hands (good drills) for the 75% runs. Amazing how difficult it makes it!