Hello and welcome

Options
mweckler
mweckler Posts: 623 Member
Hello and welcome to all the new people, and hello once again to the members that have been here for a while. I have noticed things have been quiet around here lately, and I am partly to blame for that. I was off work for the summer and my time was spent being home with the kids and doing a million projects around the house which kept me very tired all the time. I was lucky enough to re-injure my elbow which has a bad case of tennis elbow that I had surgery on 3 years ago. Because I am lucky enough to be one of the 10% of people who required surgery, I now get to have it again. Yay for a buildup of scar tissue, atrophied muscle, swollen ligaments pressing on my radial and ulnar nerves, and more tears in the tendon. So other than being a chef who is limited to the amount of knife work I can do, due to fatigue things are going pretty well otherwise. As for my B.E.D it is still present and flaring up off and on. Since going back to work I take my medication earlier in the morning but I notice it is now wearing off earlier in the day, which is causing me to be more tired in the early afternoon, and also more prone to binging when I get very stressed. I had mentioned my son previously, as a sort of stress trigger for me, well it turns out he has high functioning autism, ADHD, and anxiety and I spent a majority of the summer getting him set up with Occupational Therapy, talking with his school, and finding a child Psychiatrist to begin treatment for his ADHD. We first tried Ritalin and it helped with the hyperactivity part, but since we did not know if he could swallow a pill he was on a short acting dose and when the medication would wear off he became extremely emotional over the littlest things and there was no way to talk him down from that state. Then we tried a medicated extended release patch, which made him terrified of bugs to the point he became panic stricken and could not move. Attempting to find the right medication and dosage is the hardest part especially in children so we keep plugging along.

I know sometimes I may seem to over share what is going on in my life, but I want people to know that this is a safe space that you can talk, and vent and let out the things that may potentially cause a binge within you. I changed the group setting to private, so that no one outside of the group can see what is said within the group. Also members must now be approved before being able to join. I am going to make sure to be more active within the group myself, and I ask that the others who have the role of leader do the same as well. If you no longer wish to be in a leader role please message me, or if you are an active member who wished to move into a leader role please message me as well.

So that is a little bit to get you caught up with me, I want to hear from you now, the senior members, and the more recent members. This is a place for support, and if people are not actively reaching out for support maybe they can gravitate to a post and find similarities within.

Replies

• littlecatfeet
    littlecatfeet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there! I just joined the group. I'm a working mom of two little kids who does a really good job of appearing like I have everything together but secretly losing it. I've been struggling with binge eating since college, and college was 20 years ago (can that really be true??).

Because I balance out my binges with restriction, I tend to fluctuate within "normal BMI range" for my height. Sometimes that makes it less motivating to quit. Since I hit the big 4-0 this year, though, I've committed to making this about my health. Regardless of whether my appearance allows me to pass as a healthy person, I'm not, and for my sake and that of my family, I have to figure out a way to manage my life so that I'm not destroying myself on the inside.

Until this past week, I've managed no more than two days binge-free for about a year - maybe even longer than a year. This week, I had a small binge last night after five days without one. It was very motivating and I'm trying to not let last night get me down. It was triggered by honest hunger and I'm going to use it as a learning experience.

To end on a positive note, the morning is still pretty young, but I had a good and reasonable breakfast and I'm hanging out with my kids and my coffee. I feel satisfied and at peace, and I know I am not going to binge today.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome, thank you for sharing a bit about you with the group. So have you been officially diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder or have you just been prone to binges for the last 20 years? What I am noticing a lot with people who binge is that the BMI and "healthy weight" cause more stress than is needed. It is almost like we have to take each hour of each day as a win, when we do not give in and binge. You have some amazing aspirations set for this year, and I and the rest of the people here will be there for you for support to help you to achieve them. So let's stay positive and on point and help you make this year all about your health.