Piriformis Syndrome

Options
TeresaJTuck
TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
I suffer from Piriformis Syndrome. I have had it for at least 6 plus years.
I'll explain like this. You have Pain on one side of your body. It goes into your Lower Back and in your Hip. It is VERY PAINFUL!! Some days I hurt really bad as soon as I get out of bed, some days no Pain when I get up.
One thing I have learned is, the MORE you sit when you have this Pain, the MORE you hurt. I know it sounds strange, but Walking is the BEST THING for it. YES, it still hurts walking, but it does help.
On top of the Piriformis I have, I'm Obese. I'm 52 years young. YES, young!! I Weigh 203lbs. I Weigh too much for my 5'0" Frame, but I'm trying really hard in trying to Lose Weight. I would like to get down to between 150lbs. and 175lbs.
I take Hydrocodone for the Pain and I take Methocarbamol(Robaxon) for a Muscle Relaxer.

Do you Suffer from this too? If so, do you want to talk about it?

Replies

• lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Has a physical therapist taught you how to gently stretch the piriformis? I ask as a retired PT and as a person with chronic piriformis spasm. The stretches really help.
  • TeresaJTuck
    Options
    Yes, I have been taught how to do the Stretches. My thing is: I'm too lazy to get down on the floor to do them.
    Yes, I know I should. You're right it would help me A LOT if I did the Stretches.
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    I do them in bed because if I get down on the floor, I'm not getting back up. LOL Not ideal, but better than nothing.
  • TeresaJTuck
    Options
    I know the feeling. Once I get down I have a hard time getting up. I really ought to do those Piriformis Exercises. Sometimes I hurt so bad that I just don't feel like it at all.
  • lizandrashaw
    Options
    I hear you on that for sure! Start gently!
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My husband has had amazing results with the piriformis stretches the chiropractor gave him, but he does them religiously.