Back to School

Options
It's back to school time which is both a good and bad thing for teachers trying to keep with healthy nutrition and fitness decisions. It will be good in the sense that we are back to our normal grind and more importantly the rather busy schedules we grow accustom to for 10 months. We do not have all the free time in which to become bored and therefore fall into the trap of eating because we don't have anything else to do.

The bad? The school year brings with it a lot of stress and not a lot of free time to choose healthier activities to relieve the tension. Especially at the beginning of the year when a lot of the housekeeping stuff is done. Throw in parent-teacher conferences/curriculum night/whatever other name is given to those nights early in the year where we have to inhale food so that we can have our tables/classrooms ready for the eager family members. Add a nice stack of papers to grade and all of a sudden, those comfort foods we know and love are more inviting as ever.

The start of a school year carries so much promise for both student and teacher alike. One of those promises is, you will be challenged to stay the course and continue to make the progress you've enjoyed before. Have a cheat meal or a cheat day, just try to avoid the cheat weeks or even months. It all to easy to let yourself off the hook with promises of those New Year Resolutions to make yourself feel better about overindulging during the holiday gauntlet that is Halloween-Thanksgiving-Christmas (or other December holiday of your faith)-New Years. Throw my birthday into my gauntlet and I have about a 4 month hurdle to jump over.

Days get shorter, and with less sunlight we don't always feel "up" for that exercise session. Let's remember we don't get out of shape in 1 day and we certainly don't get in shape in a day. Keep the slow and steady mindset and we can get through it all and who knows, we may even come out on the otherside better than when we went in. Best of luck educators!