Prepping to actually do SL?

Options
klove808
klove808 Posts: 346 Member
hi all. Have tried to start this program a couple times Realize I really need to work up to this. I can't imagine doing some of these even with just a bar. Wondering if there are any suggestions for working up to this program? I am doing just a variety of body weight exercises for now. (Can't believe people can actually do a squat w/ anywhere near 100#s, seems super human to me after doing with just 20s w/Dumbbells)

Replies

• littleblue2
    littleblue2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have any suggestions since I'm just starting this today. I was super intimidated tho. I was a nervous wreck so hopefully I get better lol
  • klove808
    Options
    Yes littleblue2. I remember when just the thought of doing a squat was like "impossible". After two months I finally am comfortable with that. Now it's dead lifts, seem easy enough until weight is added...then, well, a few days after my hamstrings are feeling it. Trying to get used to this one ATM. Little by little is my current strategy.

Thanks canadianlbs for the insight, I'll start giving the broomstick a try out on the squats. Holding weight while squatting is something I'm trying to get used to currently. It seems getting the proper form down is a whole learning experience in itself.

I've done a lot of dance and outdoor activities and massage a lot these days. Which is all active but very specific to those activities. Adding in new ones is such a new experience, Its interesting and currently a bit painful. :).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    It seems getting the proper form down is a whole learning experience in itself.

i'm still working on that after two years :D but the couple of times when i was getting it right made me convinced that the form is 80% of the battle. it's amazing what strength your body already has if you can just organize yourself so you're using it right.
  • littleblue2
    littleblue2 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Today I did deadlifts. Not sure on the form because I felt awkward. But I tell you one thing I am sore from Tuesday.
  • klove808
    Options
    ^^ canadianlbs.... Sweet, I feel way better about it all now. It seems every time you add weight there is also a new way of keeping form. The continuum continues perpetually. :)

^ nice littleblue2. Yeah I am slowly working weight into these (started with 10 lbs) cause it seems to be a powerful move, thinking about my low back here. Deadlifts are currently my fave although my hamstrings feel it so much after. Even when while doing them they may seem not so hard. I always have to get a massage after adding any weight to these. Last week I did the versions with toes in, toes out, and toes forward... Oh yea, comprehensive.

• klove808
    Options
    Found this on deadlift form etc: Hope this link works. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/schultz35.htm
  • OtiWanKenobi
    OtiWanKenobi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I agree with candianlbs and recommend you practice your form with a broomstick or pvc pipe. The key is to make sure you're using proper form and recommend you watch the videos on the sl 5x5 site/app. Also, a good book to pick up is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. You can most definitely pull and lift more weight and you'll be surprised how much you'll progress over time. I think once you feel comfortable with using a broom stick I think you're good to go with using an empty barbell.

I still remember the first time I got under the bar and it was pretty intimidating. I also wobbled a bit because I wasn't used to it. After you do it a few times your brain remembers and that's when you learn to engage your stabilizing muscles to get you through the lift.

Good luck! :-)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Canadianlbs so true about for being 80 prevent of the battle. For me it's especially true for squats. When my former is a little off the weight feels so much heavier.
  • klove808
    Options
    Cool otiwankenobi. Starting Strength is rather cool. I've been checking all kinds of building form videos including ones for if you have injuries etc. these are really helpful. It helps helps get the mind around the moves, that and muscle memory gives ya the boost over those first hurdles.

Btw the broom stick is a tad awkward not too bad but still. Thankfully laughing at ones self makes it all more fun. :smiley:
  • klove808
    Options
    ^ awesome. Thanks. Will check out more in depth ASAP.