rtop carrier

Options
tenreps
tenreps Posts: 136 Member
Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has used or traveled with a soft car top carrier, I just recently purchased a Rightline carrier and never used one so it is all new to me, I am going on a long trip and need extra room, I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

Thanks, Michael

Replies

• DavidKuhnsSr
    DavidKuhnsSr Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    I have, Michael, but it was more than 20 years ago. A couple things I remember: you have to pack them full. If they are loose, the wind can start fabric flapping - and failing. Also, you need to take some care with packing, to balance the load. It affected my mileage, and was noisy, too. All-in-all, rigid shells are easier to use - but cost several times as much.
  • manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,699 Member
    Options
    No, never used one. Dave's advice to pack it full sounds right. If you wanted to return it and get a hard shell, Sears has the inexpensive X-cargo.
  • mikehikemike
    mikehikemike Posts: 3,471 Member
    Options
    Went canoe camping once with a dozen people, and the van driver had one of those on his roof. They loaded tons of stuff in it, I recall, and liked it a lot. We rode hundreds of miles with everyone and their gear on the roof and the canoes on a trailer on the back.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,590 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I did a few times many years ago. Dave's recommendations are right on the nose. They do kill your mileage. I was really surprised. Once I was able to snug the load into it by folding the unused portion underneath and strapping it down tightly. I found it ok for those occasions when we needed a bit more cargo space then the car and the 4 of us had to offer and didn't have any other choices. I don't think I would have wanted to use it on a regular basis
  • LeonardRing
    LeonardRing Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Tried soft top, liked storability but returned and swapped for hard shell soon as I got back. Soft shell flapped and rubbed paint off top.
  • tenreps
    tenreps Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for all of your help.