TMTS'd. D'oh!

Options
Well, it had to happen eventually, I got my Xero Shoes and got such a thrill running the 2km to the track that I didn't want to stop. Continued another 2K before...uhoh...soreness in my achilles. I knew it wasn't a good sign if I felt the pain already DURING running, because usually it's only after stopping that injuries creep up on me. Luckily, today, the pain hasn't gotten worse. I just hope it will subside on its own in a few days.

Weird thing though, the area is actually mostly tender only to the touch, almost like surface skin bruising. In terms of mobility, I have no real issues in the full ROM, a little muscle soreness, but nothing alarming. Has anyone experienced this bruised skin feeling before from an irritated achilles??

Replies

• jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It has been awhile, so I can't quite remember if the sensation is as you describe, but I did have some achilles soreness. IIRC, it went away after resting a few days. I was very cautious as I have a few friends who've torn their achilles. (Not from barefoot running, I should add.)

I imagine your tendon will need to lengthen a bit if you are used to shoes with cushioned heels, or if you wear high heels frequently. Hopefully with some rest it will feel better soon. Good luck.
  • grandevampire
    Options
    It has been awhile, so I can't quite remember if the sensation is as you describe, but I did have some achilles soreness. IIRC, it went away after resting a few days. I was very cautious as I have a few friends who've torn their achilles. (Not from barefoot running, I should add.)

I imagine your tendon will need to lengthen a bit if you are used to shoes with cushioned heels, or if you wear high heels frequently. Hopefully with some rest it will feel better soon. Good luck.
    Thanks, I am definitely not going to run until the sensation has completely disappeared, as I know from past running injuries that "pushing through" is the worst. idea. ever.

I have already been running in Nike Frees (4mm drop I think) with the insoles taken out for a month or so, but I guess when compared to the Xero Shoes, they aren't nearly bare enough to have prepared me.

I did just get some Merrell Road Gloves for non-sandal running, which oddly feel less barefoot than the Nike Frees (that bump in the middle feels weirdly like arch support after having worn the Xero Shoes and moccasins for walking around).

Luckily, I have never even so much as slipped on a pair of high heels, so I am safe on that count!
  • rem1p
    rem1p Posts: 3
    Options
    Well, it had to happen eventually, I got my Xero Shoes and got such a thrill running the 2km to the track that I didn't want to stop. Continued another 2K before...uhoh...soreness in my achilles. I knew it wasn't a good sign if I felt the pain already DURING running, because usually it's only after stopping that injuries creep up on me. Luckily, today, the pain hasn't gotten worse. I just hope it will subside on its own in a few days.

Weird thing though, the area is actually mostly tender only to the touch, almost like surface skin bruising. In terms of mobility, I have no real issues in the full ROM, a little muscle soreness, but nothing alarming. Has anyone experienced this bruised skin feeling before from an irritated achilles??

I got a strong Achilles' heel inflammation about two months ago - I'm running with Merrell trail gloves and I am still getting used to the new style (they are my first minimalists and I've ran about 300 km with them over 4 months). Like you, I started to feel an ache but pushed it on and the next day I could barely put my foot down! I used some herbal anti-inflamatory cream and did some light stretches. About a week later, I went for a run on normal shoes and was hyper careful. I let another week go by and went back to my trail gloves, taking it very easy at the beginning. Now I think I'm close to healed, although I still feel a weakness there.

I don't know if this is the same as you - but based on what I read online, the Achilles' tendon is the strongest in the body so minor injuries are likely to pass and get cured. Some people do tear it though, and that's another story.