Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Hi, I have been struggling to get into or maintain a regular exercise routine. Some days the pain just makes exercise seem impossible. Is anyone here doing regular exercise and would you like to share your experience/tips?

Replies

• upbeatbirdieRD
    upbeatbirdieRD Posts: 8 Member
    I have been exercising regularly. What helps me is not pushing too hard, knowing when to take a break or slow down, and resting or taking a sabbath one day per week. One day per week I eat meals already prepared, the only work I do is taking care of my pets. I can unwind and set goals and this relieves stress. I have made gradual increases in activity over the past couple of years. I started out just doing yoga and tai chi each one or two days per week. Now, I strength train two times per week and am able to do yard work and house work. My cardio is pushing an eco mower through my large yard 10-30 minutes at a time. When winter hits, I will probably use an exercise bike or use a walking or marching type of fitness tape, such as Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds using the easy modifiers and no weights. I made myself a diary/ journal out of a cheap 1subject notebook. I plan my workouts there and make notes of what to do for the next workout. If an exercise isn't helping me, I get rid of it and pick a new one for that body part. I have found that when I am in pain and do not feel like exercising, if I start out and get warmed up, then start gently exercising, that about 5-10 minutes in, I am feeling better. I feel depressed when I am not exercising. After I had surgery and was on bed rest, I got so depressed, then when I started finding easy exercises to do in my bed, even 10 min. per day, I noticed my mood improved tremendously!!! I also have less joint pain in the long run. Even if joints are stiff after exercise, overall I have less arthritis pain when I maintain an exercise routine. Joints are not penetrated by blood vessels. They need movement to keep them lubricated with fluids. You also must stay hydrated. If it is a bad pain day, I may just do an easier workout rather than the one I planned. Doing 10 minutes of easy is better than doing nothing. Yoga, tai chi, swimming, walking are all good. Just know your limits. When I over-do it, I just take it easy the next day or two and this helps me avoid flare-ups.