Matt's 50 Day VR Challenge

Options
Hello!

So I'm going to go ahead and give this a shot. I'll be doing a various combination of VR games along with walking and eating better. I'm going to try and lose at least 2 lbs a week. I currently weight approximately 243 and I eventually want to get down to 190. Obviously I don't expect to hit my goal weight within 50 days, but I feel that doing this will definitely get me on the right track!

Pre-Challenge Check-In:
Weight: 243 lbs
Waist: 41 in.
Weekly Weight Loss: 0 lbs
Total Weight Loss: 0 lbs
% of Goal (14.3 lbs): 0%

I don't feel comfortable posting any before pics right now, but maybe I'll change my mind once I have some good 'after' pics to compare them to.

Replies

• LepperMessiah1
    LepperMessiah1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey Matt! I am stoked to see you taking up The Challenge and can't wait to see your progress.

I'll be with you every step of the way. :)
  • mcoppola07
    mcoppola07 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Okay, Day 1 is in the books! I wound up having to cut it a little short due to the fact that I haven't exercised like this in a few years...and also I accidentally unplugged the headset during Holopoint, so that took off a few minutes as well. Anyway, here's the recap:

Day 1:
    10 minutes in Longbow
    15 in Thrill of the Fight
    15 in Holopoint
    5 in Holoball

Estimated burn: 634 cal
    Avg heart rate: 141 bpm
    Peak heart rate: 177 bpm
  • TheBoa1
    TheBoa1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's amazing! Keep going at that rate and you will do great. It's the equivalent calories of running or playing soccer. You're on the right track here!
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    mcoppola07 wrote: »
    Okay, Day 1 is in the books! I wound up having to cut it a little short due to the fact that I haven't exercised like this in a few years...and also I accidentally unplugged the headset during Holopoint, so that took off a few minutes as well.

That's smart easing your way back into it. I'm sure you'll be plenty sore today (and tomorrow) as is.

Having the cables pull loose is definitely a risk, and really aggravating when you're right in the thick of a game. I have my cables clamped in two places on my computer desk. It helps keep them attached, and if I do feel tension in the cable, I feel it in the clamp before it reaches the box.

1r7gw0us9h2n.jpg
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Day 3:

15 minutes in Audioshield
    20 in Holopoint
    15 in Thrill of the Fight
    10 in Holoball

Total workout time: 1:01:10
    Estimated burn: 802 cal
    Avg heart rate: 133 bpm
    Peak heart rate: 169 bpm

Much better today! Didn't accidentally unplug anything this time either! Burnt a total of 1,782 calories through VR and walking. I'm struggling with Thrill of the Fight a lot though. It says I went for 15 minutes but that includes a 5 minute break in the middle. Pretty sure that's also why my average and peak heart rates are a little lower than they were on Day 1, despite more calories burnt. Also I've found that Audioshield is a good warmup for me. Instead of letting the orbs come to you and just blocking them, it's a lot more fun (and strenuous) to reach out and punch them. I burnt almost a quarter of my calories tonight strictly from Audioshield.

Also, and this is kinda weirding me out, but I checked the scale this morning out of curiosity...in three days, I've lost 8 pounds! I almost refuse to believe it, and I'm sure it will stagnate eventually...but still, progress is progress!
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Day 4:

20 minutes in Audioshield
    20 in Holopoint
    10 in Bitslap
    10 in Holoball

Total workout time: 1:05:34
    Estimated burn: 896 cal
    Avg heart rate: 136 bpm
    Peak heart rate: 171 bpm

Changing things up a little! I wound up burning almost 400 calories in Audioshield. I'm doing a lot of dancing and punching and it's definitely making things a lot more exhausting. Keep in mind, I don't have any weights. No vest, no ankle/wrist weights. I plan on getting some once this starts getting a little easier.

As you can see, I also started incorporating Bitslap into my workout...and man, what a workout! Normal was enough a challenge, I'm worried about how bad Hard and Expert will be! Also, it's not included in the workout, but I did try out Sword Master VR for a little bit. I love it and I can totally see how it could be incorporated into this, but I'm having a hard time going all out with it...mostly because when I play, there's a ceiling fan directly above me. Not ideal, but it's the only space I have. I might hold off on using Sword Master in the workout until I can find a better space.
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    Damn dude, you're killing it! :)
  • mcoppola07
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Day 6:

Unfortunately, no VR workout today. Audioshield is acting weird right now (can't play any songs), and after that crashed I wasn't able to launch any other VR apps. So that sucks. I did still get some time on the elliptical so it's not the end of the world, but my workout is about to run into some serious hiccups if I can't get Audioshield working again. :'(
  • TheBoa1
    Options
    Turning everything off and on again has solved all VR related problems I've had thus far. Hope you get it back up and running again soon!
  • VRHockey
    VRHockey Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Audioshield is having issues streaming songs and the dev is working on it. Local songs work fine.
  • TheBoa1
    Options
    Good to know!
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Week One Check-in
    Weight: 237 lbs
    Waist: 39.5 in. (Down 1.5 in!)
    Weekly Weight Loss: 6 lbs
    Total Weight Loss: 6 lbs
    % of Goal: 11%

Additional Weekly Data
    Total sessions of high-intensity VR training: 3
    Total hours of high-intensity VR training (including warmups and cooldown): ~2:50
    Average calories burned per workout: 777 kcal

First of all, I realize now that in my initial post, I had copied it from Tim's and never actually changed the amount of weight I was trying to lose. For the record, it's not 14.3 pounds, it's 53 pounds...and to already be 11% of the way there after one week is pretty freakin' great! Especially when you take into account that I was only able to work out three days this week instead of 5 like I originally planned. I'm still a little bummed that I couldn't work out yesterday (unforseen circumstances). Still, I plan on getting back on track this week. Five days, high intensity = more progress! Bring on Week 2!
  • LepperMessiah1
    Options
    An awesome finish for your first week! :D
  • TheBoa1
    Options
    WOW! 6 lbs in 1 weeks is truly incredible!!!!! Keep up the good work!
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Looks like there was a reason Audioshield was acting so funky...it's because they just updated it! Unfortunately, Soundcloud streaming is gone and replaced with YouTube...kinda sucks, but it's not the end of the world. They also added a new arena, YouTube streaming, and an Elite mode! I tried it out for a little bit...now I'm so excited for my workout later! This is only gonna make things better.
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Day 8:

I did a longer workout today but split it up into multiple sessions. The summary below is all the sessions combined.

10 minutes in Audioshield (warmup)
    50 in Audioshield (Elite difficulty)
    10 in Thrill of the Fight
    15 in Holopoint
    10 in Holoball (cooldown)

Total workout time: 1:48:24
    Estimated burn: 1,183 cal
    Avg heart rate: 118 bpm
    Peak heart rate: 160 bpm

Getting back into it! As you can see, I am positively giddy over the new Elite difficulty in Audioshield. I'm definitely going to be incorporating that into my workout a lot more. I'm also going to continue splitting these workouts up over the day for now, see if that works better for me.
  • LepperMessiah1
    edited September 2016
    Options
    So many updates to all of my favorite VR workout games! TTotF, Bitslap, HoloPoint, and now AudioShield! Can you believe I haven't even gotten to use my headset since I finished my challenge last Sunday?! I'm in serious VR withdraw! lol.
  • mcoppola07
    Options
    Day 9:

15 minutes in Audioshield (warmup)
    50 in Audioshield (Elite)
    20 in Holopoint
    10 in Bitslap
    5 in Holoball (cooldown)

Total workout time: 1:42:28
    Estimated burn: 1,213 cal
    Avg heart rate: 120 bpm