09/21 Wednesday Day 485

Auna37
Auna37 Posts: 708 Member
Morning, Everyone! Today we are going to change it up a bit and do some reading.

Today's Challenge: Read about signs and symptoms of anorexia nervosa.

Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder that can deeply affect mind and body and has one of the highest death rates of any mental health condition. Although once thought to be the domain of teen and twenty-something women, anorexia now affects women of all ages, as well as men. By reading about its common symptoms, you are in a better position to recognize it in yourself or someone who may need your help. You never know who may be dealing with this!

Replies

• betsym3
    betsym3 Posts: 353 Member
    Good Morning! I have read many articles about this subject. I have never had this disorder, thank God, but can sympathize with those that do. I know that this is what cause the singer Karen Carpenter to die so young. I am currently reading a book that I would recommend to any of us with weight issues...especially, life long weight issues since childhood. I'm almost finished with it, but still have a couple of chapters to go. So far, it's been insightful. Its called "It Was Me All Along", by Andie Mitchell. I just thought that I'd share this!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    My niece is going through it right now. She is obsessed with her looks and weight and it has been a struggle for my sister's family. She is in counseling now. Thanks for posting. So important to be informed.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,339 Member
    When I was a very new teacher back before this condition was discussed much, I had a student with anorexia. Fortunately, she was treated, but she was hospitalized several times before her health and condition stabilized enough for her to return to school. I wonder how she is doing now. I was looking at old pictures a few weeks ago, and there was her face, first as a healthy young girl and then as pitiful, starving teen. It is something that our diet-obsessed culture has to deal with more and more.
  • motivatedeeat74
    motivatedeeat74 Posts: 69 Member
    well it is sad how so of us do not even understand the reality of a eating disorder that causes us to not eat !!!!!!
  • mablade18
    mablade18 Posts: 6,397 Member
    I've had friends that were anorexic and it's hard because no matter what you do to help them, they are the ones that need to face the issue and accept the help.
  • megamenogut
    megamenogut Posts: 1 Member
    My sister suffered with this in her 30's. It's a problem in itself but unfortunately it is usually only a symptom of a much bigger issue in one's life.