Planning for winter/off season

Options
MNLittleFinn
MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
With my final race of the year done, with the exception of a Turkey Trot with family, I'm starting to plan out a general idea for my winter training schedule. My hope is to sue the off season to help fill in some of the gaps in my running game. I know I need to get my endurance up, I have gotten a lot faster, but I still struggle after running 10 miles at 9:00 pace, having had to take walk breaks during my last HM.

Right now, I'm looking at cutting down my mileage to somewhere around 20-25 miles per week, just because it gets so cold up here (sub zero F in the mornings in winter). Unless I get a gym membership, in which case I could possibly do more.

I'm also looking at taking at least 1 day a week to get back into working with my kettlebell to help with core strength and balance. This should also help some with my leg strength (I think the hills killed me yesterday, so I need to get stronger)

That's about as far as I've gotten in my thinking. Goal is to start a "winter schedule" starting next week. So, what do you all do during the off season, if running outside isn't an easy option? Looking for some ideas to fill in my schedule, so I don't lose too much during the months where my mileage will be necessarily lower.

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I plan on continuing to run like I am now. Summer for me ended up being the off season with kids and sailing taking priority over running.

With an ultra in April, I'm planning on getting into to my training schedule in mid Nov. Nearly all of my miles will be outside as I embrace running in Minnesota winters.

One thing I won't do when running when there's snow or ice on the ground is speedwork. I'll take my strides slow and short to keep upright. Last year I only fell once.

My plan is for adding more hilly trail miles. The long trail run(s) on the weekend, a mid distance trail run midweek, and 3 days of easy road running.

• BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I grew up in WI, but live in Texas so now is prime running season. With the weather finally cooling off this upcoming week, I'm excited that I'll be able to run after work if I want to sleep in. Lol!

I've got my 1st marathon coming up in late February with 1 HM on Saturday and another HM in December, so I'll be going hard with my training all winter long. I typically run 5x per week, have 1 day of non running cardio, do strength 3x per week, and yoga 4 to 5x a week or as-needed for sore muscles.

I have a gym membership at my local YMCA. It's relatively cheap too. I like the Body Pump classes, and having access to the weight room so I can do heavier lifting with my legs and glutes to keep improving my strength. I also use their equipment for core and arms as well.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Last winter, I was training for Boston. That meant running 6 days a week. 4 days were running outside, 2 were speed work on an indoor track, with a 3 month facilities membership. If it got too cold, I had the option to be indoors even when speed work wasn't schedule. If the weather was nice enough, and the workout was measured in miles, I'd be outside instead of on the indoor track. (e.g., 2 mile warmup, 2 x (4 miles at MP, 1 mile at T), 2 mile cool down.)

There was only one Saturday when it was so cold and windy I didn't think I could do my long run outside; that day I ran 177 laps of the 200m track for my 22 miles. If it had only been 13 miles, I would have been outside; but there was a 100% chance of water bottles freezing solid by the time I got through 13 miles in that weather.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Normally, my final race is in Oct or Nov, then I take it easy from November until late January/early February and that reduces the months of winter I have to withstand. My "off season" mileage hovered around 35 mpw, and then shot back to 50+ in February.

This winter will be a bit different. My last 2016 race will be the Philly Marathon right before Thanksgiving. In December I plan on getting a YMCA membership and starting lifting a bit while keeping my running at probably 40-45 mpw. My focus for the spring is a big half marathon PR -- no spring marathons for me, if I can help it! -- and I want to get my core and my back as strong as possible so I can stay strong through the last 5k of a hard HM race.

Off-season is always full of dreams and opportunities which I rarely actually take advantage of... but hopefully this year will be different!
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I'll be starting marathon training the week of Thanksgiving, following the Galloway plan. So, that means my winter running will be even more structured that the rest of this year was. I'm also planning one day of a bootcamp class and one day of yoga per week.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just to follow up on my planning. Right now it looks like, after next week's cutback, I'll be holding at around 40mpw over winter, that will be roughly a 6-6-6-6-6-10 mileage rotation with 6 runs a week.

I'll be adding some hill repeats, treadmill or real on Tuesdays and speed elements in on my thursday runs starting in January.

Hopefully this will have me primed for training to start "for real" in late February, so I'll have a full 3+ months of marathon specific training.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I live in the south so winter here is ideal running season, but we also don't get snow. Summer is a nightmare....like trying to run in sand and breathe soup.

For days I can't run I hop on the elliptical or treadmill or I do Hiit workouts. I cross train twice a week and strength train several times a week on my running days, too. Any workouts that helps train your endurance is usually a good substitute for days you can't run.
  • Redhouse6758
    Redhouse6758 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am going to restart my training efforts in January in the gym on the treadmill as I live in PA and winter has finally decided to show up. I plan to follow Jeff Galloway's half marathon training plan, I am striving to participate in the Broad Street, Marine Corp and Minneapolis half.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I am going to restart my training efforts in January in the gym on the treadmill as I live in PA and winter has finally decided to show up. I plan to follow Jeff Galloway's half marathon training plan, I am striving to participate in the Broad Street, Marine Corp and Minneapolis half.

I'm going to use Hal Higdon's beginners half plan. My first ever half is in April. Down in the south I can pretty much run outside year round.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    AnnyisOK wrote: »
    I live in the south so winter here is ideal running season, but we also don't get snow. Summer is a nightmare....like trying to run in sand and breathe soup.

For days I can't run I hop on the elliptical or treadmill or I do Hiit workouts. I cross train twice a week and strength train several times a week on my running days, too. Any workouts that helps train your endurance is usually a good substitute for days you can't run.

I hear ya ~ I'm in Alabama and can pretty much run outside year round.... and running in the summer.. I hate chewing on air.... aka humidity.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Winter season prep: Take the $5 discount for Black Friday registration to the GRTC Freezeroo series. Commit to 6 races:

5K December 3
    7.5 mile January 1
    5 mile January 14
    5 mile January 24
    8 mile February 11
    4.4 mile February 25

I had already registered for the Winter Warrior Half Marathon on January 7, so it's going to be a busy winter running season. And of course this overlaps the training cycle for Boston 2017. Should be a lot of fun. (In 2016, the 8 mile race was canceled for weather. That was the day I ran 22 miles on an indoor track.)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    My winter plan took an interesting turn. I was talking with my Aunt about her BIG 14 minute HM PR, and mentioned that I was looking at buying a professional training plan. Well, long story short, she has trainied first time marathoners for the AMerican Lung Association, and coached people for the Denver Marathon.

She offered to help me with training and make me a training plan, which started this week. I cut back miles so I'm under 40mpw, in the ~35mpw range, with added strength/core work on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

With the weather getting sucky, I'm running on the Dreadmill for most of my runs, but I'll be keeping my long runs outside for the foreseeable future. Other reason I'm treadmilling it is that the gym is on the way to work, so I can workout, shower and be halfway there, and I have access to the equipment I need for the strength/core.
  • mwstewart207
    mwstewart207 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My winter training has really gotten into gear in the last couple of weeks. I am in Bangor, Maine and running outside year round presents challenges but I can't stand Treadmills! Power to those who can. I am currently running 25mpw ramping up to 35 by the end of March. My hope is to be selected in the lottery for the USMC marathon in the fall. If not I will pick another fall marathon to train for.

Over the years I have managed to acquire appropriate running accessories to run in the cold. I have been very happy with UA Coldgear. I am happy to see they have finally come out with a variety of colors besides black, navy, and gray since I run at 5am in the dark. Gloves have always been a challenge but I have finally solved that problem as well.

I shorten my mileage during the winter and must be careful of my routes. In many cases after the snowstorms and subsequent plows come through the shoulders become nonexistent or treacherous. I do use ice cleats when needed and those aren't much fun to run on over about 3-4 miles. Other things to consider, in July when you're looking at an insulated water bottle thinking that might be handy then in Feb you're wishing you had one! Although Gatorade does tolerate the cold better than just water. Also GU packets do freeze. During a run we all do what we must! Enough said on that.

I think my next purchase will be some sort of gaiters. Dropping through a skim of ice into a 6" deep puddle with miles to go is no fun at all.

All in all I highly recommend outside winter running. It's kind of an adventure and helps break up boredom by shaking things up. Your coworkers and people in your life will think you're nuts but you will find yourself smiling a Lil wider walking get a Lil taller and secretly anticipating the next frigid run.