rOcktober daily workout thread

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    off days often follow great days too. so breathe in and keep going :)
  • 5minty
    5minty Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SL workout B day 9 week 4

Speaking of off days, today was one of them for me too :-(
    I finally dragged myself to the gym, only by telling myself I only have to do 3x5's instead of 5x5- which worked, as I ended up doing a full workout except on the OHP :-)

Squat: 45lbs 1x5, 50lbs 3x5, 55lbs 1x5
    OHP: 45lbs 1x5, 50lbs 3x5
    DL: 45lbs 1x5, 75lbx 1x5
    +
    BB Curl: 30lbs 1x8, 35lbx 2x8
    Calf Raises: 25lb DB's 3x15
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    todays workout
    squats 5x5@87lbs
    ohp 5x5@45lbs. really pleased with this as its taken me months to move up.yay!
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree, everyday you get in the gym and do something is a win. Hard to do at times, but...
    I am finding I am bit off during that time, get pretty weak and then after it's like a surge of strength. But I am pretty please how my numbers are going up.

Have been going still 5 days a week at the gym...but I can't get in and post all the time, silly work!

Incline bench - dumbbells warm up 4 sets
    working: 8reps @45
    10reps @ 35
    20reps @ 20
    Incline Barbell Press 2@115
    6@95
    20@65
    Flat Dumbbell Bench 10@25
    15@20
    30@15

Still can't do a proper dip, but working on it!

I am excited cause I just hit my 1max rep on bench press for 155! woohoo and room to spare. I am totally terrified of hurting myself though >:)

In the last 2 weeks, I have hit PR's on squat, dead, military press and bench. Just have to keep going. Love lifting! Should have found this twenty years ago!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i can't believe all the pr's and maxes going on here. it's just great.

for me, it's just me and my glutes for a couple of days. nothing is firing right atm because of all the 'little' issues. so i'm on a glute-activation offensive and i'll go back to full lifts when i feel like my hips and low back have calmed down.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym today after handling some errands (adult bleh). Had to take my car in because the right turn signal wasn't working and it needed a new bulb. Should have probably just figured out how to change it myself as that would have been cheaper since the warranty ended after two years, so it ended in August. Also took about an hour as I went in without an appointment since trying to get one online would have meant waiting almost a week. Did leg day at gym as don't have a set plan yet. Need to decide if I'm going to try for the meet in January or not.

squat - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135 and with belt 3x3 @ 185
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 185 and with belt 3x3 @ 205 (very slow as haven't done these in a while)
    cable kickback - 3x10 @ 15
    treadmill for 30 minute jog
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    weird day. i spent the whole day afraid of real squats, so did about 200 reps with just a broomstick so i could fret about form.

then i got the cabin fevers at around 7pm and walked the mile to the gym after all. didn't have my squat shoes so i did my 'fake' lifts - light forms of the ones i'll be doing in t-space on friday, just to make sure that i've still got the form. ended up being more of a workout than i thought it would be.

double-band pulls 4x15, here and there all throughout.

deadlift 3x5@50 for warmup, then 10-lb increments up to 100. good enough for 'not real' deadlifts since i would loooooove to pull 200 sometime in my life. i'm calling it 50% of my wish-list max.

rows 3x5@50 for warmup, 10-lb increments up to 80. then 3x5 at 80. i'm pretty pleased about that since rows have been an 'optional accessory' in my world for over a year. not saying my form was great but it wasn't bad for being 80 pounds.

press @30lbs, then a set of 5 at 50 just to prove that i can. i can clean a 50lb bar too without much trouble.

and finally back to square 1 on the pullup wagon. 6 eccentrics as singles, with a long hang at the bottom since this is a good time for traction methinks.

and then i walked the mile home trying to give myself a mini psoas stretch off the back leg on every stride.
  • jowaring
    Options
    todays workout.
    squats 5x5@89lbs.going to stick with this weight for a few workouts,could feel myself wobbling slightly.
    bench 55543 @59lbs.
    rows5x5@47lbs.dropped down by 10lbs to work on form.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    trainer day and i was LATE getting there. last day of 531 week and being rushed does feel like it influenced me a little. i just dived in without warmups because i didn't want to cheat myself out of the deadlifting part.

press 40/50/57.5. i stayed honest and used those actual weights. the last set were much heavier than i wanted them to feel, because in my head i'm still that person who doesn't really have trouble with 65. heck, if i'm being honest the bar itself felt heavier than i'm used to having 45 feel. but i dug in and did two extra reps on the big set, so go me for the mental win, if nothing else.

deadlift 120/135/152. i was a tiny bit sloppy with them; never felt like i was really hitting the individual cues. but i did them all anyway and made 5 for the final set so i think there's space in the tank :)

sometimes i do a workout and it doesn't feel like i did very much. or like i didn't do it very well, or like i did it but somehow it doesn't count because i don't get that i-got-this feeling at any point. today was one of those days and it has me a little bit sad, but i'm going to chalk it up as more of a mindset thing and keep on trucking. i mean, on paper i did do press at 57.5 and deadlifts at 152, right? and take out my mental fog and just look at the numbers, those are acceptable numbers, right? maybe it's because i did both of the other lifts yesterday (plus 100 air squats later on), and there was no rest day between.

sigh. rest week is coming up though! i'm in that mindset where i'm not really wanting to do it because i have this silly fear i'll lose even more of it over the course of a real-easy week.

• canadianlbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    so hungry . . . it's 'rest' week yee hah.

did hip circles, more hip circles and then agile 8 to warm up and stretch. then post-stretching did 4 turkish getups per side, because i really feel like no other move knits all the different parts of your body together like so well after you've disorganized them. plus, multi-dimensional core integration. i just used the tiny little 3-lb dumbbell in the guide hand, because it has been quite a while. figured they'd be a good hip test and stretch since you have to do that three-sided bridge and then sweep the near knee underneath you, and i felt like i moved pretty well.

then i did squats. still not confident, still not happy, i still cannot get organized under the bar even when holding a broomstick is fine. so no increases. i just started with kettlebell goblets, then alternated front and back squats again. took the weight up to 50lbs before calling it. i'm working on a couple of innovations and minor lightbulbs and i guess i'll just see how the aftermath feels. definitely didn't feel the pinch or the scary stuff, but i may have been trading for buttwink instead.

negative chins to wrap up. 3x3 with a looooot of focus on holding my abs tight and keeping my solar plexus well under the 'bar'. i'm also trying to slow down that 'dislocate' moment at the bottom where you convert your shoulders to a dead hang, because that's the transition i just.cannot.do in the real chinups. and no wonder. i've grown this habit where i just drop straight through it.

chinups are why i have the arms that i have. and i tell you people - these days i really have arms.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    rest week, ha ha. i tried to keep it light though.

deadlift day: 65/80/95. i cheated a little bit by doing 100 on the last set, because too lazy to walk over and switch my 5's for the 2.5 chips. other than that i stayed very kosher and did strict sets of 5.

pendlay rows in between the deadlifts: 5lb jumps from 50 up to 70. then 3 sets at 70 and 3 more at 80. really the 80 was too heavy for me but my ego got me.

squat work: alternating two sets of front squats two sets of back, in 5lb jumps. so i went up to 55 because that's about where it started to feel like my form was slipping and i was getting the pinch. i'm actually having a phase where i seem to be good at front squats, so i'm taking them for whatever i can get. the back squats i'm not nearly so sure about, but my bum is already killing me so hopefully that's a good sign.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    yesterday's workout
    5x5 80# squats low bar
    3x5 65# bench press then 1x3 then 1x2 because i just could not get that bar up at 65#
    5x5 bent over row at 75#

1 minute wall sit
    1 minute plank -these are for a challenge i'm doing which i am super unhappy about this week because i have to do 90 burpees and 170 jumping jacks by saturday on top of my normal routine, and if there are 2 exercises i dread it's burpees and jacks.

ran 2.5 miles this morning so going to do 3 sets of 20 jacks / 10 burpees tonight and hope it doesn't kill me for tomorrow's SL session.

i love my routine and i alternate between loving and hating this challenge for making me deviate from it. both for the same reason too, just knowing that i've been improving so much in my running and my SL lifts was making me very self-satisfied. bringing in new elements every week shows me how much further i have to go before i will feel like i am actually in shape and that's both discouraging and motivating if that makes sense.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    [quote="jessiferrrb;380011just knowing that i've been improving so much in my running and my SL lifts was making me very self-satisfied. bringing in new elements every week shows me how much further i have to go before i will feel like i am actually in shape and that's both discouraging and motivating if that makes sense. [/quote]

lol yeah, so relatable. it's like conditioning is money, and soon as i have some i look around for something that i can spend it on. in an invest-y type way because success makes me greedy and i start to see myself ploughing all the progress back into making more progress and then (in my head) before you know it i'll be arnie (inside my head).

and then i get part way into whatever it is, and go 'glah'.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    took my s.i. to the gp and was sent for x-rays. now feeling morbid but really trying not to be while i wait for it to calm down again. and/or for some awful 'you have erosion, quit lifting' phone call.

walked to rec centre this morning and did my overhead press for deload week though. 30/35/40. by the book it should have been 5 pounds lighter for all sets but the centre doesnt' have anything lighter than 30, so eh.
  • jowaring
    Options
    Wednesdays workout
    squat,s 5x5 @87lbs
    bench, felt hard last week so did lots of warm up reps first then 5x5@55lbs.
    rows 5x5@50lbs.
  • jowaring
    Options
    fridays workout
    wasnt really feeling it yesterday.had pmt and was feeling miserable and tired .all lifts felt soo heavy.
    squats 5x5@87lbs.
    ohp 5x5@45lbs
    deadlift 1x5@110lbs/
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    trainer day, last of deload week. bench 45/45/50, squats just freeform, mostly front squats. at the end i did do a few sets with just the bar and had mr t watch my form especially the lower back, and i guess i'll see how it feels tomorrow.
  • canadianlbs
    edited October 2016
    Options
    oy. i dicked around all day doing mobility stuff and wondering whether my back's improving or not. then decided at 8 pm that i'd go and lift after all. i walked there instead of biking so i could wear the silly theraband round my knees and get the glutes thing going, so thank gosh it was dark. plus i have a feeling that walking is better for me than biking until my anterior pelvic tilt stuff settles down.

i did squats. my squats really aren't on the wendler track anymore. they're off doing their own thing in some weird experimental rehab tank of their own. but that doesn't mean i don't squat.

i did front squats, then back squats, then (a few times) a set of 3 chinups right off the bar at the top of the cage. this for the belief (and experience) that chins will turn on your six-pack like nothing else will. not to mention the traction benefits of that dead hang at the bottom. i even did a few high-bar sets . . . and every set ended with me testing the back click to see how it was.

idk what condition i'm in or how my form is. but i did my front and back squats in 5lb jumps for sets of 5 all the way up to 70 pounds. then i went and did a final set of 3 chins off the assisted thingy, where the grips are a little turned in. then for cooldown: hip circles (ugh), some of the agile-8 set, and 2 sets of turkish getups per side with a 3lb dumbbell and then the 8lb kettlebell. a few more leg stretches and then i walked home.

the gym was empty, so that was nice. otoh, i'm home and starving at 10:30 pm, and that isn't.