sudden jump in recorded activity

Options
jessiferrrb
jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
For the past 3 days my fitbit has been logging me at really high activity levels, on friday it clocked 142 minutes (at least half of that was tracked while i was sitting and playing cards) and when i sync it with mfp it's carrying over to 1,000 extra calories burned. Saturday I worked out for about 55 minutes and was basically a couch potato the rest of the day and fitbit logged 161 active minutes. Anyone else having this issue? Is it broken?

Replies

• Wonderwomanfitnessgirl
    Options
    No but would the wrist action in playing cards maybe give a false reading of activity?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Active minutes should be a calorie count of 3 x your resting, for a solid block of 10 minutes, for it to count.

http://www.mobihealthnews.com/42241/fitbit-extends-minimum-time-frame-for-active-minutes
    Unless there has been yet another change, but I've not seen one.

I'd suggest a reset first, Fitbit's site gives how to do this, it may just be confused - because ya - that is way off reality.
  • jenniferann320
    jenniferann320 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Mine gave me credit for cycling at 3:30am while I was asleep and it also showed me as sleeping during that same time
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I didn't experience higher active minutes but I noticed my total cals burned was higher than normal for the same step/activities starting on Thursday. At first I thought MFP and FitBit weren't synching right again and something was getting double counted but when I looked back at my Fitbit dashboard it looks like it is coming from there.

19,500 steps and a circuit workout on Monday: 2298 calories.
    16,400 steps and same circuit workout on Thurs:
    2494 calories.

Similar inflated numbers on Friday and Saturday. Happy to have some extra cals to enjoy but I've been using FitBit for 3 years and have been maintaining using my Total Cals burned as my TDEE and it's been accurate so I don't think suddenly my maintenance level increasing by 200/day would be a good idea...
  • heybales
    Options
    Mine gave me credit for cycling at 3:30am while I was asleep and it also showed me as sleeping during that same time

don't think I've actually had a cycling dream. though I've certainly had some calf/foot cramps that looked like it for a bit perhaps. ;-)
  • heybales
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I didn't experience higher active minutes but I noticed my total cals burned was higher than normal for the same step/activities starting on Thursday. At first I thought MFP and FitBit weren't synching right again and something was getting double counted but when I looked back at my Fitbit dashboard it looks like it is coming from there.

19,500 steps and a circuit workout on Monday: 2298 calories.
    16,400 steps and same circuit workout on Thurs:
    2494 calories.

Similar inflated numbers on Friday and Saturday. Happy to have some extra cals to enjoy but I've been using FitBit for 3 years and have been maintaining using my Total Cals burned as my TDEE and it's been accurate so I don't think suddenly my maintenance level increasing by 200/day would be a good idea...

Very interesting.
    Since the workout itself likely wasn't a full 200 higher - I'm guessing the active day went up, despite less steps.

Makes me wonder if they went for a different formula for BMR.
    Or stride length calculation on default setting.

do you have manual or default stride length setting?

If you look at that past day and compare to current day - your daily 5 min calorie graph - are the calories per block the same for non-moving time, say sleeping?