First speed workout

Options
chassp8pooh
chassp8pooh Posts: 131 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Sucked. Majorly. I don't know if it was possibly terrain or if first speed workouts always suck. I've got a good base built up,can cover 10 miles in a run without feeling like I'm going to die. I run at least four days a week,more if I'm able. What suggestions do you guys have for getting stronger and faster
,keeping in mind I'm in an 18 wheeler and the only equipment I have is my two feet..
I seriously thought my GPS had stopped because the mileage was creeping by and the time was flying by. I'm more sore now than when I do longer runs. My max pace was 5 min 41 seconds per mile...but holding that is another story! I am using a Tabata timer/interval trainer and have it set at 120 seconds work 20 seconds rest and 17 cycles for right at 40 minutes because my first giant goal is hitting a ten minute mile. And my lungs are on fire too. So. ..do you guys think more often shorter runs? Change the setting on my timer? Help! I'm actually a bit upset about this today...

Replies

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about speed workouts but that sounds pretty intense! What is your normal pace for a longer run? 5 min 41 seconds is really fast for a speed interval unless you are regularly running 7-8 min miles. Try some fartlek runs instead and don't run like you're being chased by a clown with a knife :-D Just speed up until the next lightpost/mailbox/red car/whatever then slow back down. Or add some strides to the end of a workout. Hopefully somebody else with more experience will chime in here.

Here's a workout I did recently that was tough but I didn't feel like I was gonna die. If you want to run longer, just add a longer warm up and cool down.
    ejxn2a1eprkf.png
  • chassp8pooh
    Options
    I couldn't keep it up for a full interval. I wanted to see where I could get and know what my legs are capable of right now. My longer runs are about an 11-13 minute mile. And yes...the clown analogy is perfect. ..I freaking hate clowns.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    My hubby hates clowns too :) If you're running 11-13 min miles, and you want to run 10 min miles, do intervals at 10:00 pace. Start with shorter intervals and then increase them. You'll get used to that 10:00 pace and your regular runs will gravitate toward that pace most likely. Then you'll be wanting to go even faster :-D
  • chassp8pooh
    Options
    Tomorrow I've got access to a fitness room instead of just a parking lot. Yay!
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    Nice B)