Adding In Resistance Training? (and a hello!)

Options
Hello, I am new to this group and to MFP in general (I've used Weight Watchers off and on for years). I just finished my 8th marathon (Chicago) a week and a half ago and am trying to figure out how to implement my training goals going forward.

Ideally, I'd like to run at least one marathon in the first half of next year with an improved pace. My plan going forward is to scale my miles way back while focusing on dropping a few pounds before the thick of the holiday season sets in. I'd also like to implement some strength/resistance training within the next few weeks and then continue with it while I ramp my miles back up (probably after New Years). I'd like some advice on how to go about incorporating resistance training into my training (hopefully some exercises I can do at home)? I've attempted some things I've found by googling before but I guess I'd like to know what your tried and true routines are? Also, any other tips/advice for increasing long distance pace? TIA!

Replies

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Strong Lifts 5x5. Into my third week. I'll have to let you know how effective it is. So far, so good.
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that!
  • apreimer2
    apreimer2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to exercise at home, I would definitely recommend body weight exercises, including push-ups, planks, pull-ups (if you have the setup), squats, and lunges. You can get a pretty decent workout from these, especially if you haven't been doing much strength training. There are a bunch of variations of these basic exercises you can do, including adding in some light to moderate weights, if you have access to them.

I strength train using a combination of these 2-3 times a week while I am training for races, more in the winter when I am not actively training. I think it helps for sure, but that might just be me.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm also in my third week of Strong Lifts 5x5! During my last training cycle I incorporated speed work (one day a week, alternating between tempo and intervals) and was able to cut an hour and 45 minutes off my marathon time, but it was also only my second marathon.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing stronglifts too. I also do kickboxing as the girl who runs it is big on body weight strength. So planks, push ups etc while waiting for your turn on n the bag. I've noticed between the 2 my body slightly changing. It's only been 2mths kickboxing and a month on stronglifts
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    So, if you are looking for a solid routine, Runner's World has some workout videos specifically catering to distance runners...think it's called Iron Strength or something like that. Otherwise, you should stick with the basics...1) Because they are the foundation for pretty much everything you do 2) They are the easiest to learn proper form 3) You can do them with or without equipment. So, push-ups, squats, 1 legged squats, forward lunges, reverse lunges, side lunges, single leg deadlifts, forearm planks or extended arm planks (like you are doing a push-up, but you just hold), side planks, bridges, hip stretches, and clams. I think I got all of the main ones. You can get a really intense workout here and you can break this into multiple sessions. You will see great gains doing these on speed work days...after your speed work run, not before. Hope this helps!