pullup progression 'challenge' - anyone else?

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i'd love to have buddies for this. i'm going to try again with the pullup progression my trainer gives his new folks (got inspired by him having an actual new folk in our group on friday). i always start this, lose track and fall off the wagon again, so i'm making this thread entirely to keep myself accountable.

so how it works is: you do eccentrics. that's when you use a chair or whatever to jump up to the top position and then all you have to do is control yourself on the way down. go all the way down to a full hang - i.e. totally release your shoulders - then drop. that's a rep.

first week you do singles:

day 1: 3
day 2: 4
day 3: 5
day 4: 6

i actually did 6 today, because i'm greedy like that. but i'm going to keep going with the rest of the week before i move on.

Replies

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'll see if I can do one of those, then let you know! :smiley:
  • lilmizp
    lilmizp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would love to try.... but I think I'm too heavy/not enough strength to do that much.....
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    :) well, anyone who wants to, at any level. the company would be nice.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oh. well, i checked with mr t and it seems like i got the format wrong. it goes like this:

3x3
    4x3
    5x3
    6x3

then you break it, go back to 3 sets and start adding a rep to each set
    3x4
    4x4
    5x4
    6x4

etcetera. and you don't progress every time; you move up whenever you feel like you'll be able to get the next level. so i think i did 6 or 7 singles today and i'll call this week my 'prep' time, and start properly with 3x3 tomorrow.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'll do it. I kind of got away from doing pull ups & want to get back to it.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    \o/ i started officially today. i'm doing chins, i.e. with the palms facing, or mostly facing. there's more bicep in it and less (whatever the pullups hit more), but every time i've tried to go pullup style i've sprained something somewhere in my upper back. and i'd doing eccentrics, with a jump up from the footplates on the assisted pullup/dip thing.

so:
    3x3. not easy, tons of room still to tweak form but i concentrated on keeping my chest as close as possible to being directly under the bar all the way, and i felt like i had good control.

one of the reasons i wanted to get back to this is doing pulls or chins is like a free plank. it really really gets into your abs, and i need all of that i can get.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    3x3 done today.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I want to try it! I think I would have to start with chinups. And for the record I'm afraid I will fall to the ground like a sack of bricks and/or sprain... everything.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i was a wimp today. did 3 in between my pendlay row/deadlifting sets, and just didn't want to do any more.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    I want to try it! I think I would have to start with chinups. And for the record I'm afraid I will fall to the ground like a sack of bricks and/or sprain... everything.

yeah, actually . . . that's a good point. i switched to the underhand chinup grip because jumping up into the overhand one you use for pullups did pull something under my weaker shoulderblade. i forgot that it's not the jumping per se - it's the 'landing' in that position at the top of the pull. that could have been my own fault actually, if i was loose when i went up instead of trying to set myself first. but still it can be a lot of weight for those muscles to take suddenly.

mind you, i think that can be worked around if you're worried. for a while i used the smith machine bar at only an inch or two above the right height, and did something or other with my legs on the way down. and/or used a really tall plyo stool to get me up to that level, and just stepped off the edge of it when i was ready for my own self.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    did my 3x3 though the sets were more like sets of singles :tongue:

one thing though: i did the first two sets off the bar at the top of the cage. whoa nelly, i don't know what size they built that thing for but it's like 8 feet in the air. i had to start out at pretty much a full stretch of my arms and my jump only got me so high. the rest i had to do by myself but i managed it.

so i did a little lockout work as well, this time. must be somethign in it because it hasn't been 12 hours yet and my lats are already sore.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    been off this for a while but i'm back today. 3x3 with the slanted grips. my left wrist is giving me some kind of shooting-pain thing when i grip things unless i'm super-careful, so meh.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I might get in on this, as I was really close to actually getting it not that long ago (I could do a jumping chin-up about 2 months back, now I can sort of get to 90 degrees with my elbows xD Gained weight, lost strength, yippidlidoo!)
    BethAnnieT wrote: »

You can do what I did this morning and set a bar in the rack like you would for squats, and barely use your legs on the way down (if at all. You can always just tuck your feet in at the top in a mini crunch and go down like that - It works your l-sit progression at the same time, lol ;))

• canadianlbs
    Options
    i've totally let this one go. i get a little tendony thing that happens on the inside of one elbow with these, so i keep doing these half-assed sets and then deciding it's 'adult' to just leave it alone. there must be a grip thing happening but i haven't gotten around to researching which muscle inserts at that specific part of the arm so i can adjust semi-intelligently. trial and error doesn't appeal :dizzy:
    krokador wrote: »
    You can do what I did this morning and set a bar in the rack like you would for squats, and barely use your legs on the way down (if at all.

this is a thought . . .
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    i've totally let this one go. i get a little tendony thing that happens on the inside of one elbow with these, so i keep doing these half-assed sets and then deciding it's 'adult' to just leave it alone. there must be a grip thing happening but i haven't gotten around to researching which muscle inserts at that specific part of the arm so i can adjust semi-intelligently. trial and error doesn't appeal :dizzy:
    You can do what I did this morning and set a bar in the rack like you would for squats, and barely use your legs on the way down (if at all.

this is a thought . . .

Yeah, turns out jumping up and having to "halt" myself from falling wreaked havoc on my elbow the previous time I tried to do negatives on a semi-regular basis. Doing it from a box where I'm already pretty much level with the bar, or from the ground alleviated most of it. Getting a slightly narrower grip helped, too.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Yeah, turns out jumping up and having to "halt" myself from falling wreaked havoc on my elbow the previous time I tried to do negatives on a semi-regular basis. Doing it from a box where I'm already pretty much level with the bar, or from the ground alleviated most of it. Getting a slightly narrower grip helped, too.

that g-force thing was my first go-round with jump-ups. it got me underneath my weak-and-wingy shoulderblade especially with pullups. i'm a lot stronger now and also doing chins instead so that's less of a thing . . . i think i started moderating the jump so i had to catch the up-flight and continue it to get to lockout, if that makes sense.

elbow thing is fine for the jump and for lockout. it starts to get me when i'm crossing 90 degrees with the elbow, i think. it does feel like something that could be addressed with a small adjustment, but i'm stuck with the grip widths and angles they give you. and yknow what, that's one of the places where the world-designed-for-bloody-men thing does come into play. pullups are hard enough already, but i don't think those widths are ergonomically great for most women. so i hereby officially cut all of us a little slack for at least some of our struggles with them.

i will say i have no trouble with cable pulldowns on the straight bar. could be because i'm only pulling half my own bodyweight most days, if that :P but could also be the straight bar.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ooo. I know this thread is a bit like 2 months ago already. But one of my goals by May is to be able to do 6 pull-ups.... Will try the format above @canadianlbs to work on this. I also found some preparatory advice at convict conditioning. !!!

• canadianlbs
    Options
    yay! i dropped off this (again) because of something or other, but glad other people are still keeping it alive.

i just suck at consistency when it comes to pullups. never seem to stay tweak-free for long enough to do all the grandiose stuff i say that i'm going to do.
  • klove808
    Options
    Thanks. Yeh I've learned not to push myself too much. My work doesn't allow me room for error so I'm a little overly careful. Wish I could just go for broke tho and get all grandiose! :)
  • klove808
    Options
    This is so unbelievably hard.

There was a time I could do squats or a push-up so perhaps these will be possible eventually.