Did I just mess up all my training for a full marathon?

Asher_Ethan
Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
I've been training for my first full marathon since July (Higdon started with novice but switched to advanced)
4 weeks ago I ran 17 miles. No issues, felt great afterwards. Continued my training all that week after, no issues. That Saturday I was suppose to run 14, I got to 11 and had to limp a mile home because of a pain behind the outside of my knee. I took it easy with the training that week (ran a couple tines but mostly used the bike). Ran 8 miles that weekend, it was uncomfortable but bearable (and my time sucked).
Last weekend I ran 16 miles, I wanted to do 17 but I figured, I shouldn't push it.
Once again, I didn't run as much during the week and did the bike a lot.
Today I wanted to get to get up to 19 miles. I was going real slow as to not push myself because the next couple weeks are my taper weeks. I got to 15 miles and had to limp a mile home because of a pain in the outside of the same knee.
But it sucks because the rest of me feels freaking FANTASTIC! I definitely still have A TON of energy! I think I should be depressed that I probably won't get to do the full marathon and all the time I've spent training these last couple of months is absolutely wasted but I'm just so happy right now because of how good I feel!
I'll probably cry later when this high dies.
So, I guess the big question is, did I completely duck myself? Should I do the half instead?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    See physio and find out what's up with your knee first...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member

I'll assume when you say, "physio," you mean physical therapist as I'm not familiar with that term. I pay $400 a month for the worst insurance ever so getting an understanding on what I'm dealing with before seeing someone and paying another $300 a visit would be a better use of my money...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I'll assume when you say, "physio," you mean physical therapist as I'm not familiar with that term. I pay $400 a month for the worst insurance ever so getting an understanding on what I'm dealing with before seeing someone and paying another $300 a visit would be a better use of my money...

Well if it hurts when you run, stop running... ice or heat as necessary.

I had knee ligament damage which was down to muscle imbalance.... diagnosed by a physiotherapist. An Internet diagnosis really isn't recommended!
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    I'd see if you can get in with a sports medicine doc ASAP. They'll understand your situation and all the time/work you put into training and will give you an honest opinion to whether you should attempt the marathon or not. I'm hoping for your sake it's just a bit of runner's knee that can be improved with some diligent exercises. If your dr gives you the go-ahead, I'd also look into KT tape. When is your race? Hope everything works out for you!
  • apreimer2
    apreimer2 Posts: 15 Member
    It sounds like classic IT band syndrome (ITBS). I just dealt with a very similar situation with my first marathon this past May. I got some IT braces, which really helped in training (no pain for my last month). At mile 11 of the marathon I felt my knee start to tighten up and by mile 13 I was in some significant pain. After my lovely wife brought me some ibuprofen and several miles of walk-run, I managed to make it the rest of the way. My time was about 30 minutes longer than I was aiming for, but I finished.

The thing is though, the back half of the marathon was intensely grueling, especially from a mental standpoint. If it is ITBS that you are dealing with, you could try running it, knowing that you either might not finish or finish through intense discomfort.

ITBS is a combination of weakness (especially in the hips) and overtraining (for what your body is ready for). I would suggest maybe just doing the half, trying to finish without pain, then spend some time working on building hip strength. If you google ITBS you'll find a lot of routines for strengthening and recovery. I've done a lot of that myself over the past six months and I am getting ready to run a half (tomorrow), hopefully pain-free.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member

I'm dealing with an issue myself. You probably need to see a dr. I thought I had a pulled hamstring that came up doing a long run 1 week following my half marathon. But this week, I discovered a small lump on the back of my leg behind my knee area. It's only visible when my knee is bent. Now I think I have Baker's cysts. I have pain when I'm bending my knee, coming up off the ground while running. I can bend my knee sitting, cycling, no problem. It hurts in the area of the backside and outer area of my knee. My appt is on 10/27, so I don't know for sure what it is, but my husband gets Baker's cysts.

Good luck and I sure hope you get it figured out. I was supposed to start my marathon training today, but that's getting delayed, which stinks.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    I had an IT band issue that caused knee pain earlier this year. I tried to get through it for weeks before I finally gave up and DNS my spring marathon. Rolling it seemed to help but as soon as I would run it would hurt again. And going down stairs was next to impossible. The only thing that really allowed it to heal was rest.

Sorry for your issue. I hope it works itself out. If not, there's always another race. Don't hurt yourself more.

Good luck.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Did this get resolved? I had horrible issues with overuse injuries training for my first marathon earlier in the year. I made it, barely, but had to lay off running for a couple of months after the marathon to get over those issues. This go-round, training for Phoenix RnR in Jan., I'm doing much better and I think it all has to do with strength training. I take a circuit class three times a week at my gym. Lots of lunges, squats, core, and various other exercises. I think it's helped a lot with this type of injury.

And you can find a decent PT for $70-$80 so you might be able to afford it without the crap insurance. Just ask around for one that specializes in sports-related injuries. Even better they specialize in running injuries.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    I had a similar issue with pain at the outside of my knee. It turned out to be peroneus longus tendonitis, which is an inflammation of the tendon that attached the muscle to the knee. I saw a sports therapist of it who gave me massages, ultrasound treatment and exercises to do. I did not take it too seriously to begin with which was in afterthought stupid as it prolonged the whole healing process to about 6 weeks. This injury was a clear overuse injury. Since then I did not have any more issues but I have learned to listen to my body. I would get it checked out. I had no insurance but seeing a sports therapist cost me $90 and she knew immediately what was wrong. Good luck with it!