Exercise Type

Options
SusanMFindlay
SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
When I go for long walks with my husband and two kids, the FitBit often "recognizes" them as "outdoor bike" activities. I don't know if this is because he's tall so I have to walk fast to keep up or if it's because my hands on the stroller mimics the activity of hands on a bicycle.

Either way, I keep changing it to say "walk" - but I've noticed the calories burned doesn't change when I do that. Is that normal? Is it correct?

On the whole, the FitBit seems to be doing a pretty good job of estimating burn so far (based on calorie intake and weight lost). I'm just curious about this one odd behaviour.

Replies

• Pirnie13
    Pirnie13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have a fitbit with an HR sensor, it'll be using that for the calorie burn so I wouldn't expect to see a change even when you change activity types. Without an HR sensor, I'm not sure I'm afraid.

If you want, in the settings, you can disable detection of certain activities such as "Outdoor Bike" and then maybe it would pick it up as walking instead? Of course this only works if you don't do any cycling you want to be detected automatically.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Merely a text label to assist in reviewing your workouts - no bearing on calorie burn calculation.
    HR-based on step-based devices - always just a text label - and you can change it online for better review later if desired.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Merely a text label to assist in reviewing your workouts - no bearing on calorie burn calculation.
    HR-based on step-based devices - always just a text label - and you can change it online for better review later if desired.

Good to know. I don't want to disable recognition of actual cycling as we do that too.

The only other thing that is driving me nuts is that if I meet my "hourly activity goal" in the last few minutes of the hour, the app refuses to pick it up. So, at the end of the day, my phone will say 12/12 but my phone and tablet say 11/12.