Weight Training in Shanghai?

Options
pestopoli
pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
Hi all! I'm Melanie, and I'm moving to Shanghai in September! Since joining MFP, I've reached my goal weight, and have set myself a new goal: to reduce body fat percentage to a target level. I've been working pretty hard on weight training, and as a new hobby, I LOVE it. I work with dumbbells, barbells, the smith machine, the pull-up machine, and a few other equipment basics at my gym. Nothing fancy.

Question is: is it true that the Chinese don't go in much for weightlifting as exercise? Does the typical gym there look like the typical gym here (mix of weight and cardio machines, plus some group sports spaces)? Are barbells and dumbbells easy to come by, even if the more ridiculous machines are not?

Just wondering!

Replies

• Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I live in Shanghai in a western compound so can only speak of the gym here in my compound. We actually have two gyms one is small with cardio and a few weight machines but also free weights. The other gym is quite large with a room for group classes. I haven't seen a pull up machine or smith machine.

Gyms often have maintenance issues, machines out of order for a long period of time.

There is a French sports store decathlon that sells free weights, barbells, and some weight and cardio machines. Kettle bells are harder to find but can be bought off taobao.

Theres also lots of boot camps, a crossfit gym, and a spin studio here.
  • pestopoli
    pestopoli Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Shane! Hopefully I'll find a way to keep it up with the weights :) I just read the main thread here where people talk about how hard it is to track calories accurately,and now I'm getting nervous! I just lost a bunch of weight and got to the healthiest place I've ever been, and I would hate to see it all disappear :(
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    There is a fairly new gym in jiangan and it seems fairly modern with a lot of equipment. They just had a price reduction now 5888rmb from 15588rmb. I know these seem like insane prices for a gym membership but even my crappy compound gym charges around 6000rmb per person :(
    if you are living or working downtown it might be worth looking into , they even appear to have classes and a spin studio not sure if they are in English or Chinese though

http://www.la-salutefitness.com/english/