How to change goal calories eaten in Fitbit?

Options
PokerChris
PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
My Fitbit Flex (just got it yesterday so I'm a definite newbie) appears to be set to maintenance calories for me (around 1,550) but I want to use the 1,200 calorie goal I have in MFP. Can I alter that number in Fitbit?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    From your pc homepage (not sure how to change it on the phone), scroll down to food plan ,it has a picture of red knives and forks if you're over calories or it will say how many calories you have left to eat for the day if you are on point. Hover over it and click on the little gear icon, this is where you can change your deficit/plan.

Hope this makes sense?? As you can see i am super awesome at explaining things :lol:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    PokerChris wrote: »
    My Fitbit Flex (just got it yesterday so I'm a definite newbie) appears to be set to maintenance calories for me (around 1,550) but I want to use the 1,200 calorie goal I have in MFP. Can I alter that number in Fitbit?

Did you know that MFP eating goal is based on you not doing any exercise though?

When Fitbit syncs to MFP your daily burn (or if it syncs) - MFP is using that to correct it's rough estimate based on your BMR and your choice of non-exercise activity level - which it has no idea if you guessed right or wrong.

You may indeed be short, but maintenance of 1550 is really low otherwise, even for a sedentary woman.

Fitbit's sedentary level is far below MFP's sedentary level, it's barely above sleep calorie burn level. You get up and move around and you've surpassed that sedentary level.
    Perhaps you are finding it hard to believe you burn as much as Fitbit is reporting, and the 1550 is actually you burning 2050 in a day and getting a 500 cal deficit, leaving a 1550 eating goal.
  • paladinmfp
    paladinmfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    From your pc homepage (not sure how to change it on the phone), scroll down to food plan ,it has a picture of red knives and forks if you're over calories or it will say how many calories you have left to eat for the day if you are on point. Hover over it and click on the little gear icon, this is where you can change your deficit/plan.

Hope this makes sense?? As you can see i am super awesome at explaining things :lol:

Sorry, there is something out of context here. PC hompepage for what? Fitbit? MFP?
    Also, I went to both, and saw no red knives or forks no matter where I hovered. MFP does allow images, so perhaps if you did a screen copy and pasted it?

• Christine_72
    Options
    paladinmfp wrote: »

Sorry, there is something out of context here. PC hompepage for what? Fitbit? MFP?
    Also, I went to both, and saw no red knives or forks no matter where I hovered. MFP does allow images, so perhaps if you did a screen copy and pasted it?

It's on your fitbit dashboard. If i knew how to take a screen shot from my computer i would. On your dashboard do you have a picture telling you how many calories you have left to eat for the day? It has a picture of a knife and fork above the number. If not, you need to add that tile.

Seriously, ive just spent 20 minutes googling how to take a screenshot from pc, and none of it's bloody worked!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ok, hopefully this works.

t9w86nh5xsga.png

When you click on the gear icon, this pops up' It will then give you the option to change your deficit number.

1re788kv7xfk.png

• paladinmfp
    paladinmfp Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay, I found kind of what you were talking about. I had to add that tile back to the Dashboard.
    Then I went to Quick view>>>then to a more detailed view...below...
    au2qqlcjedvp.jpg

Second page of that same detail...
    ro4mlmnmxoem.jpg

Third Part...
    oo5ib4j71ay4.jpg

I'm on a medium plan, which either I personalized at some point, or automagically happened. I suspect the former case is true, just don't remember doing it.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Your way is much easier to understand! I get by on basic computer skills! :blush:
  • PokerChris
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    PokerChris wrote: »

Did you know that MFP eating goal is based on you not doing any exercise though?

When Fitbit syncs to MFP your daily burn (or if it syncs) - MFP is using that to correct it's rough estimate based on your BMR and your choice of non-exercise activity level - which it has no idea if you guessed right or wrong.

You may indeed be short, but maintenance of 1550 is really low otherwise, even for a sedentary woman.

Fitbit's sedentary level is far below MFP's sedentary level, it's barely above sleep calorie burn level. You get up and move around and you've surpassed that sedentary level.
    Perhaps you are finding it hard to believe you burn as much as Fitbit is reporting, and the 1550 is actually you burning 2050 in a day and getting a 500 cal deficit, leaving a 1550 eating goal.

Thank you for the explanation. I decided that trying to figure out 2 systems (Fitbit and MFP) was just frustrating me (plus Fitbit wouldn't reliably sync even after I talked to customer service), so I actually returned my Flex and will stick with what has been working for me, which is MFP. Imperfect science, perhaps, but I can live with it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @PokerChris your thread was very helpful, it forced me to learn how to take pc screenshots lol :lol:
  • PokerChris
    Options
    @PokerChris your thread was very helpful, it forced me to learn how to take pc screenshots lol :lol:

Haha, I felt bad I "made" you waste time Googling stuff!