Protein Shakes for Resetting or Maintenance

Options
aimz822
aimz822 Posts: 6 Member
I am just a month out from a reset, following what I should have per my surgeon from the beginning and using my sleeve correctly and feeling very positive with the results. I really struggled with protein shakes early on for the initial post op, and completely abandoned them as soon as I could incorporate real food. I was just wondering since I never had that real feeling of "fullness" (I was a band revision) I avoided the shakes since I thought they would just slide through anyway and I hated them. How do some of you VSG'ers use protein shakes in the continued losing phase (I am still there 3 years post op) or in maintenance? I wonder if I should re-think incorporating them in my eating plan?

Replies

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Honestly I hate drinking them, so I found ways to cook with them. You can whip up a few eggs whites, add a little xanthum gum and sugar free syrup or flavor, then a scoop of protein powder and bake it and make a HUGE pancake. Lots of other recipes out there. You can also check out various shake recipes - google "Eggface" blog for lots of ideas.

I also use the ready-to-drink shakes from costco (pure protein - 30g per bottle) anywhere I would use milk - i.e. in oatmeal, recipes etc.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am 16 months out, and still drink a Pure Protein shake every morning. Sometimes straight, sometimes a chocolate one w/ a scoop of powdered peanut butter, 1/2 frozen banana, a tsp of chia seeds, and a lot of ice. The smoothie is huge, and much more filling. Especially great for the days I drive car pool, and have a 60 minute commute...
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am just over 3 years out. I stopped drinking protein drinks for a while because I was sick of them, but I needed to get back on track and find a way to up my protein so I added them back in. I have tried different brands and flavors that I like, and I mix them up with almond milk, PB2, extracts, fruits, different things to vary the taste. I have also made protein pancakes (protein powder, coconut flour, egg whites) and sometimes I will make the pancakes thin to use as a wrap for eggs, deli meat, etc.
  • akindofmagick
    akindofmagick Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Huh. I can't seem to correct my post, two posts up. Make that a "Premier Protein" shake every day. "Pure Protein" is a bar I occasionally eat, not my morning shake/smoothie!
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just hit my 2 year surgiversary and had my doctor check up. My labs were perfect and I am consistently hitting my 100 grams of protein daily using a shake. I LOVE Premier Protein shakes in chocolate. I still have one every day for lunch. 160 calories and 30 grams of protein, you can't beat it. Tastes like chocolate milk with non of the strange coconut beach whey flavor I find in the other brands. My surgeon told me at my one year visit that he didn't care if I used a protein drink for breakfast or lunch for the rest of my life.