What's For Dinner?

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
This thread will be about healthy food. If you have a great recipe, share it. This will help others try new things and open up the conversation on healthy food, prepping, meal plans ect. We all know it's much too easy to run through the drive thru, heck sometimes it's what happens and that's ok. That's life, but for the most part we all need to try to have healthy food at home. And for all you mom's out there, I know the struggle is real to try to feed your family and eat healthy. But you can do this and we are here to help and support!

Replies

• lisag1288
    lisag1288 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    II I'm in a rush and I need a work supper.... I will grab a can of tuna or herring, a piece of toast, an ounce of cheese, humus, and a few crackers. Fast, easy and filling
  • lisag1288
    Options
    Throw some root veggies in a crock pot, put a whole chicken on top, add whatever spices you enjoy ( I like tarragon, salt and pepper), a little water, maybe a half cup, put on low. Done in about 6 hours. Check with a meat thermometer. Tender and delish! Save the bones when you are done and throw back in the crockpot for 24 hours and enjoy some broth.
  • kwarnerphoto
    kwarnerphoto Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diced up some chicken breast and cooked it with garlic, chopped onion, broccoli and teriyake. Served over some whole grain rice. Great fix for my Chinese craving!
  • lisag1288
    Options
    I've been making lots of soups, my fav right now is roasted red pepper and jalapeno soup. Its easy and low calorie. I add no cream, so its only broth, roasted veggies and pureed until creamy smooth. I top with a little goat cheese and it hits the spot.

Sound yummy.
  • Cat0703
    Cat0703 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Last night was barbaqued chicken breast, steamed broccoli and carrots, and french fries (just a few for me). Tonight will be crab cakes, with a large fresh salad with a variety of cherry tomatoes (for colour) and fresh baguette. As a Mom who works full time I have to eat what everyone eats but I eat smaller portions of the carb heavy items and fill up on the protein and veg. @kayjosh2422 The roasted red pepper and jalapeno soup sounds amazing! Do you have a recipe you can share for that?
  • wow_suzibear1
    wow_suzibear1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    are there any pastas out there ok to eat? im in the mood for pasta and meatsauce
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    are there any pastas out there ok to eat? im in the mood for pasta and meatsauce

"ok to eat" is such a personal thing depending on what you are looking for in the way of your eating goals. My husband eats dreamfields pasta or some of the other lower carb ones. I on the other hand prefer spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles with meatsauce.
  • FernRunner
    FernRunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You could also try something like...1 serving of cooked pasta with 1/2 cup of jarred sauce (look for one with lower sodium), a serving of lean ground meat (turkey or chicken), and plenty of sauteed veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, zucchini, etc.). The combination of all those foods is one that I find very satisfying and achievable in most calorie ranges.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    I really wing in on my roasted red pepper soup but here is how I have made it.

2 red peppers
    1 jalapeno
    1 cup cut carrots
    32 oz low sodium chicken broth or veggie broth I use chicken but either is fine
    1/2 cup chopped onions (the frozen chopped onions make this fast)
    2 cloves garlic ( leave it in the skin) or garlic powder if that's what you have on hand
    goat cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

Put red peppers (whole) on a baking sheet along with the whole jalapeno. Put in 400 degree over for 40 minutes, after 20 flip them over. You want to see char on the skin. Take your garlic, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil like a purse, toss that on this baking pan also.

While things are roasting saute your onions in a pot, once cooked down this is the time to add your carrots toss them in the pot and add your broth. Simmer until soft.

When you have cooked your peppers for 40, bring them out of the oven and I put mine on a cutting board and cover them with a glass bowl to steam for 20 minutes.

While they steam, I use this time to blend and mash my carrots and garlic. (just squeeze the garlic out of the skin and put in pot)

Once the peppers have steamed for 20 minutes, I cut them in half, remove the seeds and rub the charred skin off the peppers, leaving only the flesh. Toss flesh in pot, discard the skin.

I cut and de-seed the whole jalapeno and toss it in the pot. I than take my immersion blender and blend everything together until its all creamy goodness. You can also put this in your blender but let it cool down or it could blow the lid off.

I add a dollop of goat cheese to my bowl of soup.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it makes a lot and goes by pretty quickly

• enmonteith
    enmonteith Posts: 18 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am definitely going to try that! I love things with some kick
  • wow_suzibear1
    wow_suzibear1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i have heard of using spaghetti squash in place of actual pasta but never tried.. maybe its time to give it a try.. ty wennim and Fernrunner for the help
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm not up for cooking so I tonight I am having a Goodness Me house salad and some roast chicken from there.
  • jgnickel
    jgnickel Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    baked salmon and steamed broccoli, I haven't decided on a carb yet.
  • kaylangrandorff
    kaylangrandorff Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Did a Balsamic chicken over a green salad with bell pepper, cucumber and homemade ranch (gluten free and lactose free).
    Cook the tenders or breasts (which ever you like) in olive oil, 1 Tbls balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbls minced garlic. Let cool.
    While the chicken is cooling, prep your salad greens.
    Top the salad with the chicken and any other garnishes including your favorite dressing.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    wennim wrote: »

"ok to eat" is such a personal thing depending on what you are looking for in the way of your eating goals. My husband eats dreamfields pasta or some of the other lower carb ones. I on the other hand prefer spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles with meatsauce.

Ooohhh ... I have a spaghetti squash in my cold room!!! That is what I will have for dinner tonight.... Thank you for reminding me.
  • OverseasMom
    OverseasMom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are really good!
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Stuffed acorn squash! Stuffed it with spicy sausage and apples.
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    My Gypsy Stew

2 can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
    1 pkg frozen spinach
    1/2 lb lean pork or chicken (optional) I used the leftover turkey this time
    2 cans low sodium chicken broth
    2 cups water
    2 cups diced tomatoes
    1-2 sweet potatoes or yams diced med (I use a very large one)
    1 large onion diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1 yellow bell pepper diced
    in the summer I always add zucchini because I put it into everything
    opt I love to add 1 cup fresh pureed pumpkin - hate canned pumpkin
    2 tsp paprika
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp basil
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    black pepper
    4-8 dashes cayenne pepper

I throw it all in the crock pot on low before going to bed so I can take it to work with me. You can put it in the morning and have it ready for dinner. Very low in calories. If you have veggies in the fridge that need to get used up, just throw them in