McDonald's is helping their employees

Options
13»

Replies

• mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    at what point are individuals going to decide to try and do better for themselves rather than relegate themselves to working jobs that are better suited for high school and college students?

when ppl
    :mad: have had their health, mind, and life completely ripped apart by incurable, untreatable, invisible illness and physical disability
    :mad: have been unable to work due to physical disability and have received food stamps and SSDI
    :mad: are living with CRUSHING DEBT thanks to the ATTEMPTED education which they had to abort due to said illness/disability
    :mad: have lost jobs/opportunities/education due to illness/disability and subsequently have a completely FUHJACKED resume
    :mad: have been judged and condemned by a world full of ppl who refuse to understand/accept that a person can BE sick without LOOKING sick
    :mad: are stuck on the low-income treadmill and cannot afford any education or training to 'better' themselves (let alone health insurance)
    :mad: have been FORCED to accept and live with umitigated pain (physical and emotional), limitation, and unfairness
    :mad: have learned that sometimes life takes a big crap on you and there's nothing you can do about it

...then they tend to be happy with the fact that they even have a sh***y job to begin with and DNGAF about 'bettering themselves' in the eyes of judgy f***s like you.
    just sayin.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I'm saying that wages (based on a typical 40-hour week) should be enough to cover basic needs, such as food and shelter, for the area the establishment serves. I'm not talking a McMansion and a BMW, but in many places, minimum wage can't even get an efficiency apartment and bus fare. A person shouldn't have to spend every waking hour working, just to have a place to stay and food on the table.

When I was little and my dad wasn't making enough to put food on the table and cover his child support, he got a second job.

There is a reason many people who make good money work 60-70 hours a week.. I think it is ridiculous to think that someone should be able to support themselves on a 40 hour a week, minimum wage paying job. I am kind of stuck where I am now, I really need to make more money so I am studying and learning new things on my own time to move up or find something to do on the side.

Why should we punish others to make sure a person can live off of a minimum effort? You want to pay someone more then the product they are putting out is going to cost more. Period. They want to live more comfortably then they should be working for that kind of position.

Spoiled, give- me society we have become.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I'm saying that wages (based on a typical 40-hour week) should be enough to cover basic needs, such as food and shelter, for the area the establishment serves. I'm not talking a McMansion and a BMW, but in many places, minimum wage can't even get an efficiency apartment and bus fare. A person shouldn't have to spend every waking hour working, just to have a place to stay and food on the table.

When I was little and my dad wasn't making enough to put food on the table and cover his child support, he got a second job.

There is a reason many people who make good money work 60-70 hours a week.. I think it is ridiculous to think that someone should be able to support themselves on a 40 hour a week, minimum wage paying job. I am kind of stuck where I am now, I really need to make more money so I am studying and learning new things on my own time to move up or find something to do on the side.

Why should we punish others to make sure a person can live off of a minimum effort? You want to pay someone more then the product they are putting out is going to cost more. Period. They want to live more comfortably then they should be working for that kind of position.

Spoiled, give- me society we have become.

Who says working "only" 40 hours equates to "minimum effort"? And who says that the minimum wage jobs are "minimum effort"? I don't know about you, but last time I worked in food service and retail, I busted my *kitten*.

Also, your "people who make good money work 60-70 hours a week" are nearly all salaried, executive level people. They work that long, because they feel, and want to look like, they're "more productive", despite the mounds of research that shows pretty clearly that working that many hours isn't more productive (and, in fact, can be detrimental, as fatigue builds up). And by being salaried, they'd get paid just the same if they worked a more sane schedule.

Also, if you have to work two jobs just to put food on the table, you very likely don't have any time left to study (not any meaningful amount to change your employment) or do something "on the side," because somewhere in there, you have other responsibilities to tend to, such as sleeping. (As an aside, retail often makes it very difficult to work a second job, due to the hours, and the unwritten caveat of "if you want hours, we need you when it's convenient for us, so don't bother blacking anything out").

As I said, I'm not saying that a full-time, minimum wage job should allow a person to have a giant house and a fancy car, but it should be enough that they don't have to choose between paying for the transportation to get to work and having a half-decent meal that day, because if you have to work every waking out just to get to that point, then there isn't really any realistic way for you to get out of that situation short of blind luck. By providing a livable (albeit minimally so) wage, a person can then spend the remainder of their time and effort doing things to better themselves.

It's Psych 101, really - Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs - food, safety, and shelter come above all else, and only when you can obtain those can you achieve the others. If you can't obtain those basic needs, then you can never reach the higher needs. Paying enough to cover basic food and shelter needs provides the foundation that allows people to better themselves and actually "make something of themselves," because they don't have to work up to being able to eat and put gas in the car (or buy this month's bus fare).

If that's indicative of a "spoiled, give-me society" to you, then you and I will never see eye to eye. And yes, I busted my *kitten* to get to where I am today. I've worked the low-paying jobs, while going to school full-time, and it was a combination of luck and a generous family member that kept me from being homeless entirely and able to keep going. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have that, though.