How much exercise is enough vs too much?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Hi ladies - I realize that we are all different and that there's not a one-size-fits all solution. With that said, I'd like to take an unofficial poll of how much (and what types of) exercise work for you?

I've been reading a lot about how we need to exercise to increase our insulin sensitivity but not so much that we overtax our adrenals. How do you determine that fine line? There's a lot of buzz about how great High Intensity Interval Training is for PCOS, but I am a hungry, fatigued mess whenever I do it (Please - don't let me discourage anyone away from HIIT! I suspect that it has something to do with my individual thyroid and/or adrenal mess.)

So what works for you and/or what have you read about what types of exercise and how much is ideal?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    While working up toward going some form of high intensity thing is probably the overall goal, if you've any level of strain on your adrenals, high intensity is usually not the thing to do. I liked a program called "Zero Movement Training." Instead of doing low intensity between higher intensity intervals, you literally stop moving. Stand still, and for whatever reason, it brings your heart rate up even more than maintaining lower intensity. It's generally a 3 minute warm up, then 30 seconds intense movement of choice, followed with 90 seconds at rest, then repeat. This goes on until total (with warm up) is 19:30. 30 seconds for the last rest. Done 3-4 times a week. Preferably paired with a "One Set to Fail," which is a weights program. Essentially, your focus is to do one set of any weights at the highest weight you can manage to where you can do at least 4-5 reps (if you can't do 4-5 reps in form, the weight is slightly too heavy) but that you fail to complete a single set of 15 (if you get to 15 without struggling, your weight is likely too light). This works the muscle groups completely allowing for the most muscle improvement with the lowest repair time. Both workouts are set to run about 20 minutes total. ZMT works to maximize your aerobic training while burning through the least number of micro-nutrients in your body - as exercise will use those up, and they'd then need to be replaced, but most folks don't know what is used up and what to replace, etc.

These are proprietary to a couple, Jayson and Mira Calton (I have NO affiliation whatsoever, just heard them in a podcast and loved the program, still reading the whole book), and they are outlined in their book, "The Micronutrient Miracle." I know most libraries have the books or the e-books available for loan if you want to check it out... Before I moved and got my schedule all screwed up, I was able to start the ZMT, and I really enjoyed it while I could get it in, and at that time premium, it generally isn't too terribly hard.

When I was using this program is when I saw the best improvements in my fasting insulin numbers, and I generally felt better or decent after using this program. I only felt worse after it once, and that was when I'd had very little sleep the night before, and eating lunch after my workout helped, and I felt "back to normal."

Since I don't currently have access to weights, I was going to start with body weight exercises in the one set to fail program, but I developed an issue (a friction rash that required rest) which put everything on hold temporarily, and I just fell off because I did, no real reason. I want to get back to it, at some point, so that's a goal for me...

Hope this helps, @stacicali
  • stacymarie01
    stacymarie01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't say one way or another, but I know what has worked for me in the past was a combination of weights and HIIT. I tried just doing weight the last 3 months and I only gained weight, even when I was eating well. Personally for myself I think I need some sort of combination of strength training and cardio.
  • Fayga
    Fayga Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's evidenced based literature out there that YOGA is actually seen to increase insulin sensitivity in PCOS subjects. Don't have a link but you can use google scholar to search. I'm thinking bt trying that :)
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising consistently for the last 6 months since my diagnosis (doing about an hour of pilates, strength, yoga and/or cardio about 4-6 times a week) and while I haven't had my insulin or hormones retested I have to say my periods are lighter and my the mood swings which took me to the doctor in the first place are all but gone. Lost a few inches in my waist as well without much changing my diet. Love pilates, it's changed my life.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't really hit on an ideal, personally. I tend to have blood pressure issues (mine runs low) when I do HIIT; my cardiologist told me it may not be the best idea for me ...
    I do a mix of running (mostly intervals lately), swimming and strength. I throw in walking or hiking some days instead.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    @macchiatto - that is so intriguing. My blood pressure runs on the low side also (90/60.) I wonder if that's why I feel so awful after HIIT? And I don't even want to talk about burpees.
  • littefish2018
    Options
    weird, my blood pressure is super low too.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @stacicali, could be! I do also have vasovagal issues, so that can also mess me up. When my BP spikes, my body sometimes overreacts by sending it plummeting.
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm doing DDPYOGA. You go at your own pace. I find I feel more calm and relaxed. I'm getting stronger though and my blood pressure went from 144/90 down to 134/85 in a couple of months (I plateaued since I ate like my boyfriend...over 2000 per day. Now down to 1800 and measuring things).
  • littefish2018
    Options
    That boyfriend diet is a dream killer sure :)
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can't do HIIT due to knee injury that happened quite some time ago.
    I do interval training (a form of HIIT) on elliptical machine and it's amazing! I'm planning to try Pilates but still a bit shy to go to class on my own. I'm going to give myself a month or so before I ask a PT for some help devising my workouts.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I do have to up my intake if I do high intensity exercises, so I have to keep in mind if I am doing high intensity it is for fitness and not for added weight loss.

I highly recommend trying a bunch of new activities to see what makes you feel good and what you enjoy doing, because that is what you'll stick with long term (and consistency is more important than whatever is supposedly "the best")

My current favorites are pole dancing classes, roller derby, and yoga. Prior classes I've tried and liked are kickboxing, Brazilian jiu jitsu, and belly dancing. As you can see, I've definitely went out of the box to try new fitness classes to see which ones I truly enjoy and will stick with.

I wish you the best on your fitness journey!