Medtronic Cases

I had an issue with my 530G come up yesterday... it has had a small crack for months. By small, I mean it wasn't all the way through the plastic even and didn't bother me. Then it grew to where it is cracked all the way through, and much longer - basically diagonal all the way across the front of the pump from corner to corner and even wraps around the sides. It grew to even now include a corner of the screen, though mostly it is just on the plastic and doesn't affect the button overlay (the part with printing for buttons). I didn't drop it at the time the crack spread, so the only thing I can think is that the rapid temperature changes, which are known to cause small windshield chips become large cracks. I don't know, but it freaked me out enough to call Medtronic. It is still under warranty, so they are sending a replacement that I should receive today.

Also, Medtronic clearly didn't believe me that this crack just spread so much spontaneously. And so the rep. recommended getting a case or something. I use the belt clip, and I think I have a soft skin in the basement (will look tonight to put on the replacement). But that soft skin isn't going to provide a lot of protection. I looked at their website and found that their "sport" cases that are belt clip / waist band clip compatible are heavy and bulky AND they are made of denim. I'm not sure which sport they were thinking of... bowling?!

I really am not interested in an entire waist band (i.e. not looking at SPIbelt) holders, but would be interested in something that protects it a bit better. Any suggestions?

Just FYI: The most common situation where I would drop it are if it falls off the bed while I'm sleeping (I don't clip it because I move around and it would be easy to break the clip when I roll over on it) or if I drop it on the floor when taking on or off before/after showering. It stays pretty safe when I'm wearing it, and even when I'm sleeping on the ground in the wilderness, it has nowhere to fall (not even the 2 feet it falls now from the bed). Nevertheless, I am looking for a case that will always stay on the pump and protect it at all times - especially while sleeping or falling from the bathroom counter.

Replies

• okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    I agree with your assessment of Medtronic's cases. I would not get a case if I were you. I think to prevent the crack the best thing to do is keep the pump in a more stable temperature range. Maybe keep it closer to your body when in the cold? I wouldn't spend much time worrying about this since Medtronic will replace it if it does crack again. Also there is the possibility that there was a flaw with your first pump and that this issue will not reoccur. I hear they have tightened up their controls in the factories so that there are less flaws in their products. Only time will tell if this is true. Good luck!
  • kjayma1
    kjayma1 Posts: 3 Member
    I had a crack in my 551. It was a crack that started at the screw top and extended down and around for about a half inch. It was in warranty and Medtronic replaced it.
  • tuppersteen82
    tuppersteen82 Posts: 3 Member
    I know I'm responding to old post, mainly b/c I'm just joining MFP, but have you thought about going to a craft store and buying some elastic to make a leg band? My thighs aren't that big so I just use a thick cloth head band and clip my pump to that when I shower. You could also use the elastic, put snaps on the end and measure it out to your chest depending on your tubing length.