January Gymmers

Options
tcthept1
tcthept1 Posts: 154 Member
Morning all, having a chat at work about reasons why people take out xmas gym memberships and why they dont use them for months after. Why do YOU think this is? have you done it yourself and what could encourage people to keep attending? No right or wrong answers, just a little debate :)

Replies

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but have had the usual failed resolutions. December is usually full of excess - as it turns cold salads get replaced with stews etc and that's before the Christmas party season starts! New years resolutions therefore often include the usual lose weight, get fit aims as clothes get a little tighter and thoughts turn to next holiday etc and gym naturally fits into that. Advertisers know this and push it at you usually combined with some Xmas/January deals to suck you in. Being depths of winter, dark before and after work, it is often hard to find motivation to do stuff outside of your routine when the alternative your nice warm home. You can easily see why it happens - I know if I'm not in a keep fit mindset by early December, then chances are I won't be until March!
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    IMO 2 Reasons -

1 is "I overdid it over Christmas, So I'll join a gym..... Hold on, it's 3 weeks later, and i'm now not eating\drinking everything in sight, and the weight is dropping back down..."

2 is "I've been saying I'll join a gym... I'll start it new year, so i can have the whole year...... Hold on a minute, It's been 3 weeks, and I've got no-where! I may as well not bother"
  • marvelboy11
    marvelboy11 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hard to disagree on all the points above. As a daily gym-goer I get frustrated at the "hate" aimed towards new people. We all started where they were and who knows, they could become a good friend!

Also, if it wasn't for the people who turn up for 3-4 weeks then disappear for the year, their cash input into the gym upkeep wouldn't be there so embrace them haha.