Running shoe addiction confession thread ;-p

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I have been eyeing a similar pair in a woman's model. I hate to admit this, but I really like the look of the new Adidas shoe lines. I am in search of a new distance go-to shoe because I believe that the changes made to the 22 version of my old tried and true Kayanos are at the root of my hamstring problems. Switching to a new shoe after years and years of running in the same one is harder than you would think. I am hesitant to let go of the 3 pairs of 21s that I am still holding onto even though they have run their course, so to speak (see what I did there ;) ).

I think when I return to running (hopefully soon), I am going to try and work my Kinvarnas into my rotation. I want to love these shoes, I just find running on such a light, flat shoe to be so awkward. I am thinking that since I will be working in a new shoe as well as returning from an injury, this will be a good time to try and work them in. My plan is for one short run per week, when I get there.

On a side note, am I the only one that has noticed that being injured makes you want to buy all the shoes?? It's like I have nothing better to do, so I might as well shop!

@7lenny7 - That is one serious addiction! Don't worry, we won't tell you wife. What I want to know is, how can you have all those brand spanking new shoes just waiting there. I get so anxious the minute I get a new pair. I just can't wait to try them out!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I think when I return to running (hopefully soon), I am going to try and work my Kinvarnas into my rotation. I want to love these shoes, I just find running on such a light, flat shoe to be so awkward. I am thinking that since I will be working in a new shoe as well as returning from an injury, this will be a good time to try and work them in. My plan is for one short run per week, when I get there.

Way back when I was a newbie runner and first went to get fitted, Fleet Feet said I overpronated and put me into a Brooks Adrenaline. After some foot problems, I wanted to try a light weight shoe on the theory that having less cushioning would encourage me to clean up my form unconsciously, which should help the recurring foot problems. The sound track at that time was that when I transitioned from the Adrenalines (13 mm drop, IIRC) to the Saucony Mirage (4 mm drop, light pronation support), I should phase it in with 10% of my running.

Well. I got injured, and when I came back I just phased into my running with the Mirages. That worked fine. When they wore out, the store didn't have or couldn't get Mirages; but the look at my gait then said I was neutral. (Yes, I had consciously worked on improving form as well as wearing lighter shoes.) So I took the Kinvaras as the next closest thing that was neutral. I've been wearing Kinvaras ever since, as I noticed several marathon runners favored them.

The light shoe theory got a boost from my nephew's experience. Granted, he's 3 decades or so younger than me; but he was an overpronater, packed ultra light shoes for his all-expense paid trip to Afghanistan, and came back a neutral runner. The motivation wasn't to clean up form, it was to save weight and space for packing; but it ended up cleaning up his form. He explains, "When you don't have all that cushioning, bad form hurts. So you do something unconsciously right away to make it not hurt. That forces you into good form." Kind of like the theory of barefoot running, only there's something between my feet and any rusty nails or broken glass that might be on the roads I'm running.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp- I am an over-pronator as well. For years, I relied on the Kayanos to help with my pronation problem and they did a really good job. So good, in fact, that I became lazy about making a conscious effort to correct my form. When the 22s were released, there was an obvious different feel to the shoe. Not long after I started wearing them, I developed calluses on the outside of my big toe, likely from over-pronating. The calluses were very uncomfortable. There were a couple of times that I actually stopped during my run to remove a pebble from my shoe, only to realize that it was the callus I was landing on. As a result, I believe I started underpronating to avoid rubbing on the callus. That is when all of my troubles started (too bad I only realized this in hindsight).

Going forward, I would like to try a more neutral shoe. I think it will force me to focus on my form a little more. I had an MRI on my foot several years back to diagnose a stress fracture in my metatarsal and it showed severe edema of all of my metatarsal bones, so I tend to favor a well cushioned shoe. I hope that the Kinvarnas can help me work on my form a bit, but I don't see them being a long distance option for me. Another thing I have working against me is that I have been running for about 20 years. And you know the saying about teaching an old dog new tricks...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 Five of those reserve pair are the same model as what was in rotation, so there's not much motivation to wear them.

Two of those pair, the Nike's, have now been taken by my two sons so they're gone.

I already have four pair of trail shoes in rotation, and I really want to put miles on my All Out Charge pairs to use them up so I'm not compelled to wear the Kinvaras yet. Once my 50K is over I'll use the AOC's more often.

Since that picture was taken, I've bought 3 more pair. Two pair of Merrell Bare Access 4 trail shoes and a pair of Brooks Launch 3 road shoes. They were about $35 a pair from REI so how could I not? I do want to get those BA4's in rotation but I'm not in a hurry to get the Launch in rotation, but I should try them out soon.

After all that, my current inventory:

In Rotation (2 road, 4 trail):
    ASICS Gel Nimbus 17
    Brooks Glycerin 12
    Merrell All Out Charge
    Salomon Speed Cross 4
    On Cloudventure
    Altra Lone Peak 3

In Reserve (3 road, 5 trail):
    ASICS Gel Nimbus 17 (2 pair)
    Brooks Launch 3
    Merrell All Out Charge
    On Cloudventure
    Saucony Kinvara TR 2
    Merrell Bare Access 4 (2 pair)

Going forward I will not be replacing my high cushioned, high drop shoes like the Gel Nimbus or Glycerins. Instead I'll be migrating to the cushion, low or zero drop shoes. It will take some time, though, as I estimate I have 3800 miles worth of shoes in inventory.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a similar situation as @7lenny7. Lots of miles of shoes left and a desire to switch to low/zero drop minimalist/barefoot shoes. First, I have to burn through these, all of which are officially in rotation, though some used more than others:

Brooks Glycerin 13 - 167 miles
    Brooks Glycerin 13 - 95 miles
    Brooks Glycerin 13 - 90 miles
    Brooks Glycerin 14 - 35 miles
    Brooks Glycerin 14 - 15 miles
    Brooks Ghost 8 - 137 miles
    Brooks Ghost 8 - 112 miles
    Brooks Ghost 8 - 42 miles
    Brooks Dyad 8 - 36 miles
    Mizuno Waverider 19 - 52 miles
    Hoka One One Challenger - 32 miles
    Hoka One One Stinson - These shoes will die a horrible fate for injuring me on their first mile.

All told, somewhere between 2500-3500 miles worth of shoes left.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I submit that this is why I need more shoes:

Road
    New Balance 1500 V2 1500- 55.9 mi
    Brooks Glycerin Glycerin 13- 352.8 mi
    Nike Pegasus 32 Flash Pegasus32Flash- 289.2 mi
    Brooks Glycerin Glycerin14- 217.3 mi
    Brooks Ghost Ghost 8- 257.3 mi

Trail
    Brooks Cascadia- 4.1 mi
    Saucony Xodus 6.0 Xodus- 30.0 mi

I obviously need more shoes, since I retired my other Nikes with 486 miles on them.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I am seeing a problem in the Brooks Glycerin/Ghost and Nike Pegasus department as you do not have reserve pairs of these shoes which could theoretically drop dead at any moment. :naughty: There is also a lack of Adidas Boost. It is also my opinion that it takes three pair to make a proper minimum rotation, and you only have TWO trail shoes. You essentially have a shopping list of 5 pair, right there.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning wife gave permission for the Adidas, order has been made. I have a pair of G13 unused in the box, so those are g2g when the time comes, but I'm going to have to think about the future with the Pegasus and ghost. I may not go back to the ghost, but we'll see. With 200+ miles next month, there's a good chance another pair will be nearing retirement before June, and when Ultra training kicks in, all bets are off in the shoe department.
  • MobyCarp
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - You'll sound like such a badass if you end up telling people you gave up the ghost. >:)
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    I have a similar situation as @7lenny7. Lots of miles of shoes left and a desire to switch to low/zero drop minimalist/barefoot shoes. First, I have to burn through these, all of which are officially in rotation, though some used more than others:

Brooks Dyad 8 - 36 miles
    Hoka One One Stinson - These shoes will die a horrible fate for injuring me on their first mile.

@WhatMeRunning you rotate five pair of Glycerins!!! and three pair of Ghosts! I have to admit, I'm baffled at that. I
    could see two or three pair of the same model if that were all you were running in, but I don't get five of the same model (or three if the Glycerin 13's are significantly different than the 14's), particularly when you have several other models going at the same time.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Brooks Dyad 8 - 36 miles

@WhatMeRunning you rotate five pair of Glycerins!!! and three pair of Ghosts! I have to admit, I'm baffled at that. I
    could see two or three pair of the same model if that were all you were running in, but I don't get five of the same model (or three if the Glycerin 13's are significantly different than the 14's), particularly when you have several other models going at the same time.
    I owned those 3 pair of Glycerin 13's when the 14's came out late last spring. I bought my first pair of 14's to try them out planning to fit them into rotation if they did. Thus 4 pairs of Glycerin. The 5th pair was simply due to a sale on Glycerin 14 at my local running shop that I could not pass up.

The Ghosts were first tried last year when I had those 3 existing pairs of Glycerin 13's and they became my favorite, thus why I bought 3 pair, to switch between them and those Glycerins. At that time I was primarily rotating through those 6 shoes, running 200+ miles/month with plans to continue at that volume through the fall. The Mizuno's were for occasional short runs only (I don't like them but don't hate them either), same with the Dyad's. The Hoka Challenger were for trails only and have only seen low mileage due to finding I can run on the trails in my Glycerin just fine. Believe it or not, those Challengers are already having the soles come loose at the front of the shoe with that low of mileage. I am 100% convinced that Hoka is the most *kitten* brand in the universe, overpriced pure garbage that is overhyped by a few select "running celebrities".

Since getting injured, starting back up again, and deciding I would like to go to different sorts of shoes altogether, I simply run through the entire stock. I don't see any benefit of having some on the shelf. They're all going to get used.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    Since getting injured, starting back up again, and deciding I would like to go to different sorts of shoes altogether, I simply run through the entire stock. I don't see any benefit of having some on the shelf. They're all going to get used.

True, in the end you get the same miles overall. But, if you don't duplicate models in the current rotation, you'll get rid of individual pairs sooner, and have fewer pairs you need to keep handy because you run in them once every two or three weeks.

Also, you could, hypothetically speaking, hide the reserve pairs in one big box which is stored in the back room in the basement, hidden by the stack of furnace filters. Hypothetically speaking.

I suspect, though, that your wife is already on to you.

• 7lenny7
    Options
    One thing I've come to realize that it's easier to hide new pairs of the same model if they are the same color as the pair they are replacing.

If I were concerned about hiding my shoes, that is.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited April 2017
    Options
    One reason I started going through all of the shoes was that I read about shoe deterioration with age. I had a long down time with a stock of shoes planned for lots of running during that downtime. Complicated by having to build up mileage again later. I figure if some of them start deteriorating early due to age at least I can get some mileage on them. I have a marking system on the tags inside the tongues to keep pair together. They are all the same color because I wear wides, and Brooks only makes their wide models in a single color scheme (those *kitten*). So I had to do something to avoid confusion. I just take a sharpie to them and make a unique mark on each one, then track them in Garmin/Strava by Brand/Model/Mark. I keep them all piled up in a toy shopping cart that the kids used to have. Sometimes I ahve to dig around to find a matching shoe for a pair I have not run in for some time. It's part of the fun of rotating them though. That and making sure I log the correct shoe. Keeps me sharp. Or that's my excuse.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    One thing I've come to realize that it's easier to hide new pairs of the same model if they are the same color as the pair they are replacing.

If I were concerned about hiding my shoes, that is.
    My wife is the undisputed champion at hide and seek. I don't know how she does it sometimes. So I just play the idiot husband who is overly zealous about his hobbies and take my licks. Luckily she likes me a lot.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well, I think I am starting to develop an addiction as well...

I now have five pairs in rotation, although one of them is ready to retire (my very first pair *sniff*, which I keep in my desk drawer at work for my lunch hikes). Three of them are New Balance ten-eighty, one is a ten-eighty v7, and one pair of Brooks Cascadia trail shoes, which may get more use if I decide to go for that 10 mile trail race in July.

Thinking of getting one more pair to add to the rotation, possibly a Brooks model. The v7s may or may not have contributed to my hip injury so I've been using those mainly for walk/jog only.
  • dudasd1973
    dudasd1973 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So, as a newb, I feel compelled to ask the importance of multiple pairs of shoes and rotating? I currently just use a pair of Ravenna 7's that only have about 60 miles on them.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    dudasd1973 wrote: »
    So, as a newb, I feel compelled to ask the importance of multiple pairs of shoes and rotating? I currently just use a pair of Ravenna 7's that only have about 60 miles on them.

Shoe rotation is more important for high mileage runners. If I'm only running 15 to 20 miles a week, spread out over 3 non-consecutive days, shoe rotation doesn't seem very necessary. Or I might need at most 2 pair in rotation.

In reality, I'll run 40 miles a week in the off season, and I'm peaking at 68 miles per week in marathon training. I'm running 6 days a week. Shoe rotations does a few things for me that aren't all relevant for lower-mileage runners:

- It lets me go shoe shopping less often. I can just buy 3 pair online and forget about shopping again until the 3rd pair comes out of its box.

- If a pair of shoes reaches end of useful life sooner than I expected, I can still run wearing the other shoes in rotation until the replacements arrive in the mail. Since I wear a size 14, I can't count on my size of the model I want being in stock locally; so I may as well order online for cheaper price.

- If I'm careful to keep the shoes in rotation staggered in total mileage, I get body clues as to when to retire a pair. If I get odd twinges in my leg, ankle, or foot after running in the highest-mileage pair that I don't get after running in the lower-mileage pairs, it's time to retire the highest-mileage shoes. This helps me distinguish between work out shoes and training aches or injuries.

- In the summer, I have more time for the shoes soaked with sweat to dry out before I need to wear them again. (This one would be manageable with just one pair of shoes; I park wet shoes in front of a fan until they dry out. That rarely takes more time than I have before the next run.)

I picked up the habit of shoe rotation from a fellow who was rotating 4 pair of shoes. I reasoned that I wasn't running as much as he did, so I only needed to rotate 2 pair at first, and later 3 pair. Now, I think I'm running more miles than he did when he was rotating 4 pair; but 3 pair is what works comfortably in the space I have for running shoes. So I'm still only rotating 3 pair. At the time I write this, the three pair I have in rotation have 77, 224, and 356 miles. So I could be about to retire a pair, or it could still be a few weeks before I retire the oldest pair.
  • dudasd1973
    Options
    Ok, so far now... I'm only getting in 10-15 miles a week and it's usually Mon/Weds/Fri. I should be fine theoretically.
  • dudasd1973
    Options
    So follow up time...

I went to the local running store a couple weeks ago and after the very cool laser scan of my feet, step analysis, walking/running analysis it appears that the Ravenna 7 was the totally wrong shoe for me. I ended up trying on a few different shoes (Adidas, Saucony, Mizuno and Hoka). Ended up in a set of Mizuno Wave Rider 20 with a set of Superfeet insoles to support my high arches. So far my feet and legs feel so much better. Can't believe what a difference this has made.