What are your riding goals for 2017?

Options
2»

Replies

• snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first show. Sounds like you prevailed.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    great goals guys! Trails can be extremely challenging on spooky horses and @showjumper I hear you on the confidence over bigger fences. What I have found 100% true for me is that the more fit I am the more confident I am that I can handle a spook (even from my freak of a TB!) and the big jumps start looking more doable. @OMGeeeHorses, having retrained several OTTB's, I completely understand about the right lead issue...they only want to run to the left, same direction they run on the track ;) I can't wait to hear how your first dressage show goes!
    @cessi0909 try doing a cross country course on a galloping horse who is dragging you around. haha! And at many of the one-day shows, we jump cross country right after stadium. I definitely do not want to be one of those riders who looks like they're going to pass out as they cross the finish line!

ha ha yes!! He picks it up about two stride and then trigger switches and grabs the bit and runs like a bat out of hell. I don't panic anymore because he is a Haflinger....that little engine only has so much go and then stalls out. But I get more panicked when I have others in the indoor as I only have a little bit of control. I've tried having a trainer lunge him...they failed him miserably and made him worse on the lunge. She put him in side reins which is fine as they were loose...but then she ran him at the wall and slammed the whip behind him. He freaked and went down HARD and panicked and almost got caught in the side reins. Let me tell you my heart stopped for those few seconds. As his terror filled eyes were on me begging for help. After that anytime I put him on a lunge, he is very panicked. I'm slowly working his confidence up back up with that...So till then its ground control in the saddle and working with whips and or spurs...which he hates both and gets very grumpy/sassy lol
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    @rebecca5731 sounds like many of my shows with my now-retired guy. As a 5 year old TB off the track for less than a year, we had some pretty exciting dressage tests and jump rounds ;) One judge commented that she had never seen a horse who was able to buck through an entire test...lol! I did my best to stay on and steer.

@OMGeeeHorses sorry to hear you had the lunging experience with a trainer. Hopefully, you taking it slow and building up his strength and confidence will do the trick :)
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Yes I am hoping so as well, I felt bad for my friend. I let her get on him and she wanted to canter him. So I figured on his left side he is fine and we will do it on the lunge so she can get use to his canter first. Well He panicked and started backing up and slight rearing. So I had to scream at her to kick him forward and demand his attention, that she had to break him out of his fear fog. He thankfully got out of it so she didn't have a wild bronc haflinger ride. But I didn't want her to be scared to get back on him. IF I had her dismount, she would have never gotten back on after I worked him out of it. :/. its always three steps forward and two steps back with my boy.