Cold feet - literally!

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
I rode last night in the middle of a pretty serious cold front (for us anyway). I was pretty well bundled up, so I stayed warm except for my feet! Even with double-layer socks on, my poor toes felt like icicles! And I'm pretty sure they nearly shattered when I dismounted. How do you keep your feet from freezing? Especially those of you who get "real" winter?

Replies

• showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    wool socks :) make sure you don't get wet feet before you start riding and having a fresh pair for after, possibly having winter paddock boots or lined boots.
    Avoid cotton as it will get wet with sweat very quickly, but won't hold heat when wet leading to trying to draw heat from the leather..... cold adding cold equals bad day! Merino wool socks are fabulous they are thin-ish and itch free and are great for moisture management. if you have enough room in your boots you can always try "hot shots" or any of the hand warmer packets.
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    showjumper wrote: »
    wool socks :) make sure you don't get wet feet before you start riding and having a fresh pair for after, possibly having winter paddock boots or lined boots.
    Avoid cotton as it will get wet with sweat very quickly, but won't hold heat when wet leading to trying to draw heat from the leather..... cold adding cold equals bad day! Merino wool socks are fabulous they are thin-ish and itch free and are great for moisture management. if you have enough room in your boots you can always try "hot shots" or any of the hand warmer packets.

what she said! I also love my ariat winter paddock boots (Barnyard). When I'm at the barn for hours, I bring extra socks and change them before riding to ensure they are dry. I have something called Raynaud's disorder and my toes (and fingers!) literally turn white. It hurts so bad.

So, what are everyone's recommendations on gloves while we're discussing the cold?
  • snookb276
    snookb276 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I concur on the wool socks. I wear them inside my insulated muck boots when doing barn chores and switch to my Ariat winter riding boots when riding. Haven't found a perfect solution for cold hands. I have heavy work gloves for chores but nothing that's great for riding. Suggestions?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I have been checking out the winter boots on Dover's site. It looks like the Ariat paddock boots have good reviews. I will look for some wool socks as well. Thanks!

I have these gloves (I think): http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg-winter-training-riding-gloves/p/X1-3901/ They seem to work pretty well, but again, we don't get the kind of cold some of you do!
  • snookb276
    Options
    Thanks. Those gloves may do the job. Maybe not too late to put it on the Christmas wish list...?
  • showjumper
    Options
    @snookb276 I have used those gloves before.....they are warm, just remember to go try them on as they are thicker and i found lead to hand fatigue if you have to do lots of half halts and keep up a constant squeezing conversation with your horse...
  • snookb276
    Options
    Good point.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    They are a bit thicker than regular riding gloves, but not as bad as work gloves. I also have to take them off to fasten the bridle or perform other detail work.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    yeah, I have always used those to ride in...they work pretty well. My main problem is during chores. I have tried so many things and just can't seem to find a pair that works for me. Rotating and feeding 30 horses tomorrow morning in 10 degrees (F) will definitely hurt my fingers. My feet will be toasting tho in my Ariat Barnyard boots :)
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    @Mouse_Potato I use SSG 10 below, they are a little bulkier than what you use and when it is really cold I add toe warmers (thinner) to the inside of my gloves.

I also use SmartWool socks. I usually go to Sierra Trading Post to shop online.

I bought myself a Keen boots as I ride in insulated jeans and power core base layer and the jeans don't fit inside a pair of tall boots. I also add toe warmers if it is really cold.
  • crimsongrey
    Options
    I ordered a pair of the back on track gloves today...will keep ya'll posted!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    I tried the Smartwool socks this weekend. I did not notice them being any warmer than any other socks. :( I may need to invest in some winter boots. They would probably last me a decade considering I would only need them maybe half a dozen times a year.
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love my Ariat winter boots, Brossards I think. Unfortunately I think they are discontinued, so I am looking for an extra pair to buy in case they disappear. I've heard Mountain Horse boots are really warm.
  • showjumper
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Ariat has a Bromont here in Canada that are super! Mountain Horse has a Ice High rider on Horseloverz for about $140.00
    @moody_equestrian Brossards are no longer available on the Ariat Web site :(
  • aconybelle
    aconybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @showjumper , ugh I know. There are a few still out there on clearance, at some of the online tack stores. I like them because of the rounded toe. They are so stinking comfortable.
  • rebecca5731
    rebecca5731 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have ariat bromont insulated boots and use Alpaca socks and if it's very cold a thin wool sock underneath. Smartwool socks are also a favourite. The warmth to weight ratio of alpaca is higher than wool (from knitting memory) but they aren't as durable... I use alpaca shooting socks cause I can pull then right up to my knees!

For yard work I have a pair of neoprene lined aigle boots, they are warm and I can't use them in the summer... my feet would melt!

Oh and don't pack your boots too tight wriggle room for toes definitely helps keep them warmer
  • rebecca5731
    Options
    Gloves (cause apparently sometimes this only post half
  • Mouse_Potato
    Options
    Oh and don't pack your boots too tight wriggle room for toes definitely helps keep them warmer

I think that's part of the problem. My tall boots are pretty snug in the toe box. Need something a bit roomier!
  • rebecca5731
    Options
    I give up... have written about gloves sealskins, ariat, Roeckl and let Meiux work gloves... review might in some place have posted but I can't see it!!!