Is MFP worth it?

Options
MrsA1313
MrsA1313 Posts: 10 Member
edited December 2016 in Social Groups
I used MFP a few years ago, got pregnant, gained a whole bunch of weight, got depressed, we moved back home, and now I feel the need to get all of this off of me. So I got a Felx 2 (my very first fitness tracker since my free analog pedometer from the local hospital when I was 12 that you had to wear on your hip, haha!) and I came back here. This is really frustrating that this isn't syncing. Is there a point to using MFP? What am I getting that Fitbit isn't doing? I don't want to have to log things twice, but I get a sense that with MFP estimating daily calorie burn and whatever else, it's not very accurate.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    People who use MFP for tracking their food intake instead of Fitbit often report that they're doing so because the MFP food database has more information in it. I haven't logged much with the Fitbit database, so I don't know if that is still accurate -- it's just what I've seen people say in the past.

• nellyg53
    nellyg53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes Mfp has a much better food database and a much better exercise database for manual tracking. I also prefer the layout of the data input page - I find it easier to use. So for me it is worth it. I was successfully synced for a few weeks but suddenly lost the connection. This is what fixed it (after a lot of hair pulling!) Was this process:

unlink both applications to see if they start communicating again. To do so from Fitbit Dashboard:Go to your Dashboard > click on settings > Applications >  there you'll see MFP below that click on "revoke access" . You should unlink Fitbit from MyFitnessPal as well to make sure the unlinked procedure was successfully completed and now you can link them again. 

That was posted by a fitbit mod and it worked for me (though it took day for Mfp to let me unlink from fitbit). But it is all working now. Also a thread on the fitbit community may help https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Third-Party-Integrations/Third-Party-Apps-Informational-Post/m-p/1447884#M12208

• MrsA1313
    MrsA1313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I did all that and it still only works ok. As a new fitbit user, it just seems like a lot. Like I said I used just MFP before, but I haven't had any issues with the new fitbit app itself. I've found everything simply enough in their database. Maybe they've expanded it? I just feel like I'm not as likely to stick with this if I have to use more than 1 app and more than a few steps because it's not syncing properly. Maybe I'll come back when it's fixed.

Thanks ladies